Some Empire Turntable History

It seems like from the other posts here that the app is within 0.1% tolerance. So it's probably very close to 33.3. What belt did you get?

It seems like from the other posts here that the app is within 0.1% tolerance. So it's probably very close to 33.3. What belt did you get?
if you go to there web site it is listed for the empire 698. They have belts listed for other models also. You can't order from there site but if you call he will get it right out.

An Empire 398, circa 1960's. Must have sounded pretty bad with the speakers in that pit, and the Turntables way too far away from the preamp. Where is the record storage?

12028821_1037639206280801_9033689215958802506_o.jpg

Chicks, I don't see speakers. It looks like they will be serving Sushi on the upper level. Maybe the speakers are up there?

Imagine how the organ would make the tone arm jump. I think the LP storage is in the cabinets flanking that organ.

Chicks, I don't see speakers. It looks like they will be serving Sushi on the upper level. Maybe the speakers are up there?

Imagine how the organ would make the tone arm jump. I think the LP storage is in the cabinets flanking that organ.
Hard to tell, but they sure look like JBL Sovereigns. :dunno:

911971-nowadays-very-rare-pair-of-jbl-sovereign-c50-s7r-speakers.jpg

Hard to tell, but they sure look like JBL Sovereigns. :dunno:

911971-nowadays-very-rare-pair-of-jbl-sovereign-c50-s7r-speakers.jpg

I went to quote and post this earlier today. I ended up with 200 copies of the above quote and picture. That is what I get for letting the big cat snuggle and work the keyboard.

Regardless, I wanted to say I wasn't familiar enough with the Sovereigns to recognize them on a laptop screen. I need a much bigger screen to get the detail of the grill work.

Last edited:
can someone shoot me a picture of the feet on bottom of there empire. Mine doesn't have any and I was wondering what to use. also missing rubber platter matt, can someone tell me the thickness of it. I can't find one so I will have to buy a regular one and cut it out.

I think esoteric might have a mat that will work

any small rubber feet will work on these...I will grab a pic of mine when I have time. I also bought new feet for them, haven't installed yet. the old ones are surely dried up & hard

OK here are the original feet on my 698

I will replace them sometime soon, with something similar

698_foot01.jpg

698_foot02.jpg

I have the TT sitting on a maple/cherry cutting board, that is also sitting on 4 of these Sorbothane feet from Esoteric:

vibrapod3.jpg

OK here are the original feet on my 698

I will replace them sometime soon, with something similar

698_foot01.jpg

698_foot02.jpg

I have the TT sitting on a maple/cherry cutting board, that is also sitting on 4 of these Sorbothane feet from Esoteric:

vibrapod3.jpg
Thanks for the pictures, what will you be replacing the feet on the TT with, the Sorbothane from esoteric?

vibrapod3.jpg

Has anybody who's used these found that they reduce the sound of motor vibration or resonance?

My 598III is great but I'm always looking for ways to reduce the hum I can hear across the room during silent moments.

The hum tone doesn't get into the speakers, so it's not intolerable. I can dampen the vibration by putting by forearms lightly against either side of the base.

I have replaced the motor grommets but haven't done anything else to dampen the vibration.

There are hundred's of pictures on the net and eBay of the original feet for Empire tables and frankly think there was more than one kind used over the production years. The Sorbothane feet from Esoteric will better the originals by a wide margin. Highly recommend them for isolation as the original style don't do much to absorb vibration.

....what MRL Audio said!

although my replacements are just cheap ( newer ) rubber. since I have the big sorbos as well, underneath

Hey empirelvr I ordered the Denon DL-110. Will be here tomorrow afternoon. I was doing something thinking and if I need to dampen it a bit I guess theres nothing stopping me from getting some sort of make up brush and using a high quality glue such as: https://www.amazon.com/Norton-636425-04615-SpeedGrip-Urethane-Structural/dp/B005SVGFJQ to put one in place.

I don't have a test record (yet), but I do have some fairly warped records and some very bass heavy records that would help in determining the limits of the setup.

If it will fit with the cartridge sled and all that goodness. But, it looks like it could possibly interfere. The instructions available at vinylengine state it has to be on top of the headshell which doesnt seem like a possibility for the Empire arm.

Back
Top Bottom