Some Help Needed - Zenith Allegro Turntable Problem

McSmeag

Hey folks - I'm in a bit of a pickle. My lingo may be off, but please bear with me. I heartily apologize if this isn't the proper forum for this or whatnot.

Growing up, I used to get vinyl records and play them on my parents' turntable. Since striking out on my on, I've been looking to snag a player of my own, since now I have records but nothing to play them on. I got an old Zenith record player/8-track player/radio (here is a terrible photograph I took with my cell phone) at an auction, assured that it had been tested and worked fine. Unfortunately, upon getting home, I discovered that the turntable itself refuses to spin - everything else seems to be fine, but the turntable platter stays put.

I've been fiddling all evening trying to find what the problem is - I've even opened the case up and tried to look for anything amiss. I'll try to explain what the problem seems to be as best i can - but like I said, my terminology may be incredibly off. Please bear with me.

From the motor there is this rod that extends, which, when the 'start' switch is turned on, touches the edge of this disc beneath the turntable platter, which then is supposed to turn it (?) which in turn spins the platter. I've got the motor running, and I can turn the platter manually (and thus make the disc beneath it move), but the motor is not making the disc move. The 'rod' touches the disc, but the disc will not spin. The disc is only moving when I manually push the turntable platter.

I hope that made sense. I am frustrated with this whole scenario. Could any of you give me any pointers? What could be the problem, and is there any way I can fix it?

Thanks for your patience. ^^

If you could take some pictures of the mechanism perhaps we could help you figure it out. You will need something better than the cellphone for this. And good lighting helps. Not going to be too many fans of the Allegro systems here I suspect. But I can understand the memories of a certain system. In my house we had an old Magnavox console as I was growing up that has many memories, then in the 70's Mom and Dad bought a similar system to yours from Sears that we thought was just space age! Actually still have the speakers around somewhere I think. I try not to be a snob, and if it makes music and memories, it is a good thing.

The Allegro Wedge was one of the better compact systems of it's kind. Used a BSR changer (VM had gone bankrupt when this was released). Google BSR changer repair and you should get some advice.

Sounds to me like two things might be the problem. If the platter doesn't move very easily, the bearing might need cleaning and lubrication -- old grease sometimes seizes up. The other, and more common, problem is that the speed selector/ in and out of play position arm bearings need lubrication.
If everything moves easily, than it might be a dried up idler, which simply doesn't have enough give in the surface to grip the pulley or platter.

With the platter off, when you hit START does the motor turn?

If it does, then very likely you either have a bad idler wheel, or a sticky idler wheel arm bearing.

If the motor does not turn, then likely the motor is frozen. Give it a twirl with your fingers. If it spins a little after you remove your fingers, it's fine. If it hardly turns when you try to spin it, then the motor will need to be taken apart, cleaned, relubed with machine oil, and reassembled.

Fred
repairing audio gear since 1972

Hey Fred, I know this post was a long time ago.....I'm hoping you'll see this somehow.

I have a Zenith Allegro Console that spins too slow. The motor turns when the platter is off. I have cleaned and lubed the spindle and the bearings under it, the post that the idler wheel sits on, and I sanded the edges of the idler wheel (which helped a little)

The two things that concern me....
1) the speed does not seem to change when I move through the speed settings (16, 45, 33, 78) regardless if the platter is on or not.
2) I feel like the idler wheel is not sitting against the spindle that turns when the motor is on that makes it spin. Is there a spring that should hold it tight between the underside of the platter and this piece?

This stereo sat in a home for 25 years without being played. When I took possession of the house, I was able to play one side of a record at the right speed. When I turned the record, this problem started.

I'd really appreciate any help you might be able to give.

Thanks so much for your time

Elaina

With the platter off, when you hit START does the motor turn?

If it does, then very likely you either have a bad idler wheel, or a sticky idler wheel arm bearing.

If the motor does not turn, then likely the motor is frozen. Give it a twirl with your fingers. If it spins a little after you remove your fingers, it's fine. If it hardly turns when you try to spin it, then the motor will need to be taken apart, cleaned, relubed with machine oil, and reassembled.

Fred
repairing audio gear since 1972

Remove the spindle, stick a soldering iron down in the hole where the spindle was. The old grease they used practically turns to glue. Every now and then check it. It will loosen up. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. It worked on the Zenith in my picture :)

Attachments

• CAM01487.jpg
    CAM01487.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 24
Don't stick a soldering iron in the hole where the spindle goes, you may melt something. Remove the old grease or try to put some turntable oil in the hole to loosen up the bearings.

You can't remove the old grease until you get the platter off. It wouldn't come off without the soldering iron trick. There is a video or 2 on youtube. It worked perfect for me

Hardened up grease is your issue. Soldering iron trick (be careful and see the YouTube videos about this), clean and lubricate where instructed, use the lubricants instructed, changer should work reliably and well.

Back
Top Bottom