some of my DIY

Interesting SE amp, nice build. Does each channel get it's own choke in the power supply? What schematic did you use, if I may ask?

Lookin' good, saw the partial completed kit at the July DIY meet, hope to see the working amp all broke in at this years meet. Will be good to see that Norske construction up close.

Thanks to all for the compliments. I always figure if I'm going to listen to this stuff, I'll be looking at it too. :)

Lookin' good, saw the partial completed kit at the July DIY meet, hope to see the working amp all broke in at this years meet. Will be good to see that Norske construction up close.

I'll be there. Just a warning . . . hope you don't look too close . . . you might spot the blemishes that stand out to me. :sigh: Not to worry, I'm extremely happy with the functionality of it.

Dave

Another "no expense spared" project --white lightning speaker cables. TerryO's frugal streak rubbed off on me. :D

I measured the impedance. 12 ft long, dc resistance is .08 ohms, 1.0 ohm at 20 kHz. Also have a pair of 8 ft to finish. Impedance should be proportionately lower.

Having the ends finished with cable pants, some heat shrink, and banana plugs makes this pretty handy for quick changes. :banana:

Would like to find some better dual banana plugs, but this is all I had in inventory this afternoon. Anyone know where to find any good ones?

Attachments

• wht_ltng_cables.jpg
    wht_ltng_cables.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Another "no expense spared" project --white lightning speaker cables. TerryO's frugal streak rubbed off on me. :D

I measured the impedance. 12 ft long, dc resistance is .08 ohms, 1.0 ohm at 20 kHz. Also have a pair of 8 ft to finish. Impedance should be proportionately lower.

Having the ends finished with cable pants, some heat shrink, and banana plugs makes this pretty handy for quick changes. :banana:

Would like to find some better dual banana plugs, but this is all I had in inventory this afternoon. Anyone know where to find any good ones?

TerryO's frugal streak?

How about "Terry's Monumental Poverty Driven Cheapskate Path to Audio Enrichment?"
You know, with your new amp and cables (Very Nice BTW) I believe you need a pair of Duckzilla's new cable lifts to "elevate" your musical enjoyment.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=415805

Best Regards,
Terry

I've been working on a pair of small speakers this summer. My church has a Car Show each August to raise money for local charities, and these will be donated as a raffle prize.

The picture showing the unfinished cabinets gives you a good idea on their versatility. The 2 laying down in the foreground show how the sound can be either projected out horizontally or tilted up slightly (12.5 degrees). They can be used as a center channel speaker, or in the rear deck of a car. Or, they can be stood upright and used for computer speakers, or satellites in a 2.1 setup, or in a home theatre, etc.

The left and right speaker of each pair are "mirror images". When cutting the pieces and assembling them, that aspect required a little more attention to keep things straight. :confused:

The drivers are a 3" Audax HP080MO and Dayton ND20FB. The crossover is series (designer's choice, of course ! :D with Fx ~ 4500 Hz)

The box response simulation shows port tuning can go as low as 85 or 90 Hz, but I'll probably need to play with that. I may add some stuffing to the port and make an aperiodic vent.

The grill was made from a grill. :) The Dremel tool came in handy for cutting the mesh. (hack saw was used for the heavier gage outer frame).

Attachments

• CarShowSpeakers.jpg
    CarShowSpeakers.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 172
  • CarShowSpeakers 05.jpg
    CarShowSpeakers 05.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 165
The angled side is a neat idea!

Thanks. I did something similar a few years ago with a monitor that I made for my church choir, but the angles were different -- 0, 30, and 60 degrees. It can be used for a center channel on the A/V rack, on a ledge in the choir alcove, or on the floor in front of them. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

The drivers are a 3" Audax HP080MO and Dayton ND20FB.

I've used that tweeter a few times and for the money it's a nice little unit.

The crossover is series (designer's choice, of course ! :D with Fx ~ 4500 Hz)

Was there a reason for the distance between the tweeter and woofer? At 4500Hz XO I (designer's choice, of course :)) would have snuggled them up as close as possible. But given the versatility of the box design I thought there might be a cool reason like steering the main lobe.

Very nice work!

I've used that tweeter a few times and for the money it's a nice little unit.

Was there a reason for the distance between the tweeter and woofer? At 4500Hz XO I (designer's choice, of course :)) would have snuggled them up as close as possible. But given the versatility of the box design I thought there might be a cool reason like steering the main lobe.

Very nice work!

I just picked a nice round number for spacing (forget the inches now). I've had good luck with dispersion using series crossovers, but I always measure. When I measured on-axis and 30 and 60 deg off-axis, the response was fairly smooth. It will be good to complete a pair to listen to, rather than "measuring" a single speaker.

:thmbsp:Daxe R is an expert cabinet maker. Maybe in a past life you obtained experience from building pine boxes. Nice to see another DIY using series crossovers.

I did something similar a few years ago with a monitor that I made for my church choir, but the angles were different -- 0, 30, and 60 degrees. It can be used for a center channel on the A/V rack, on a ledge in the choir alcove, or on the floor in front of them. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Can't find a picture, but here are some sketches. The grill with the wings bent back 10 deg was a "challenge". It was made in 3 pieces, and joined together in the shaded areas. That bridge was used for clamping the wings to the middle piece. After glued, the shaded area (bridge) was cut off.

Attachments

• monitor3060.jpg
    monitor3060.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 60
DaveR did you ever complete your enclosures with the 10" Seas. You have been busy.

DaveR did you ever complete your enclosures with the 10" Seas. You have been busy.

That project has been put on hold for awhile. I've been working on getting some shop space set up. Maybe by this winter I'll have a place for my saw, router, and other power tools. It will be a welcome change from the tin shed that doubles as storage and shop, and the sawhorses in the yard. The little 2-way project was about all the new projects I've done lately. If nothing else, it was an attempt to get rid of some inventory from the back room. :D

I hope to get back on the 10" Seas project sometime, but probably not until the shop stuff is finished up. :sigh: I'm hoping that it will be a learning project for me (and maybe others too). Sometimes "oddball" drivers that don't fit in "normal" designs offer good opportunities to learn the finer points of this stuff. :scratch2:

But then there are priorities . . .

It's been a busy year. DIY is never done. :sigh:

Last fall I got married and moved from the bachelor pad to the new digs. Over the winter, we had the garage re-modeled. The building was extended on the front to provide new parking stalls, and the back end of the building was partitioned off for shop space and hobby space, side-by-side.

She calls it a "hobby room", but my plan is unfolding, as it is transforming into the "man cave"! :banana:

It's got a ways more to go, but I have viewing and listening space now. The solid state HT receiver is used for video as well as 2 channel listening. As an alternate, the tube amp powers the bookshelf pair for more intimate 2 channel listening.

It's been interesting to hear the improvements of the room acoustics as more things are added (shelves, cabinets, etc.). There will be some wall-hangings, which will help more. When I can afford it, I've looked at recliners . . . including the "Perfect Chair". (the one with the "perfect price") Until then, I've settled for the "almost perfect chair". :D

I'm finally to the point where I can actually use the shop space now. It will be nice to have testing/measurement and design capability in one room, and work shop next to it . . . all under the same roof. And of course, a very nice listening room when the project is done! I hope she keeps me! :yes:

Update:
It's been a few months, and the furnishings have evolved. I recently acquired the shelf units from the entertainment center. Now I have a place for my cd's. :thmbsp: The wife has had her finger in the decorating department, adding some tasteful artwork, and and general guidance on decor'. That's been helpful, as I'm very uncoordinated when it comes to colors. :D

Attachments

• almost_perfect.jpg
    almost_perfect.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 106
  • the_man_cave.jpg
    the_man_cave.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 133
  • pic_audio.jpg
    pic_audio.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Great use for good wood!
I also like using contrasting wood tones/specie for furniture projects and such,
and like the natural look, sealed only (Poly for me)

Distracted with bedroom furniture building right now,
but I'll be back to speakers shortly!

Back
Top Bottom