Some people have just enough

We already went through that a few years back. The new dishwasher is a GE monster, extra deep and had me wishing for a 6" high plumber when I installed it. Inlet is copper, outlet is plastic or rubber.

Rob,
I am the seller of that CR-3020. I am completely amazed at the number of problems you found so quickly. When it did not work for me and I removed the cabinet the first thing I saw was the less than professional job on the lamp replacement. I noticed a couple of missing screws and the mis-matched screws on the cabinet and I got a bad feeling that this receiver was not going to be an easy fix. I was afraid and now it appears justified, that this receiver had previously been in the hands of a real hack technician.

The seller I bought it from was a dirtbag that implied it was working but later told me he had never tested it beyond plugging it in. I said "BS" because anyone that buys stereo equipment can test quickly and easily it for function if the component will power up. After that I was so disappointed in the purchase that it went on a shelf where it sat for the last year and a half.

When I found out from the other Rob that you were the buyer I knew it had the right home! Sorry about the excessive amount of packing material. I wanted it to arrive in the same condition it left here so I put everything I had in my garage into that box! I really look forward to more reports as you work your way through it.
Mike

This all seems vaguely familiar to the one that recently sold on ebay? I felt bad for you when I saw the screwing you got. Rob will get her singing again and no doubt into the hands of a deserving collector. I tackle much of my own fixes, frequently with his sage and welcome help, but wouldn't dream of digging into my own 3020 myself. I bough mine from a fellow (former) AK member and couldn't be happier.

So, no magic smoke but also no getting out of protection. Well the relays might operate if there was some voltage to power them but nada, nothing. So, time to label all those wires on the 30 pins and get the board out so I can test eveything. Missing the voltages at RC and RY on the power supply board.

It couldn't be in better hands Rob. Keep posting results, we love the play by play!

Sheesh, Silpads WITH grease. <shakes head>

Allen is awesome. What's weird is when I was hired by Yamaha, I ended up at his bench. When I left (and when he subsequently came back), he sat at... you guessed it.

That's just to be SURE it works. It reminds me of a Mercedes I once worked on.
It had a blown head. After removing said cylinder head, we found TWO, count em.... TWO headgaskets slathered with loads of blue silicone gasket compound between the block and the head.:yikes:

"The PRO" was here. :thmbsp:

Oh man.... the stuff I have seen in electronics alone....

Well everything measures good but I wondered what that 2SD234 does under load. Yamaha did put out a service bulletin to the effect that they did get a batch of them that reacted badly to the silicone grease so I changed it, along with the 2SC1890, 2SC1918 and a 2SA844 as I had spares along with the 2SB544. Time to feed the kitties so that will do for today.

On hold for today, figured that since it is so hard to get at this board I might as well recap it while I can. Fortunately B&D Enterprise is just up the road so the caps will be here tomorrow I would imagine.

What convinces some thumb-fingered dolt they can crack a fine piece of gear like that Yamaha and randomly toss in parts? If this was AA, I could guess a name.

Are you telling us that you and Florence got that monster downstairs by yourselves? Impressive. :thmbsp:

Luckily this unit found its way to you!

A year or two back I promised myself that when I win the lottery I will get Mr Merrylander to overhaul a top end Yammie for me & ship it to the UK just for the sheer pleasure of ownership.

On the other hand of course I suppose I could then afford to collect.

Are you telling us that you and Florence got that monster downstairs by yourselves? Impressive. :thmbsp:

Luckily this unit found its way to you!

Peter it is really surprising what we send up and down on the stairlifts I installed. Since they are rated for 350 pounds a CR-3020 is a breeze. Of course getting it on and off the chairs is another story.

Got a heads-up e-mail from B&D this AM, caps will be here today.

Bummer, the power amp I restored seems fine as far as voltages go but the other one is dumping about 63 volts on the output. Now the 3020 has this strange protection circuit, instead of firing the relay it clamps the relay voltage supply using a 2SB554 as a switch. So as long as there was voltage on any output you will never see that voltage at to output of the powe supply board.

Pulled the amp and the first thing I noticed was a 2SK100 in place of the called for 2SK99. While they are both lo-noise NPN FETs the 99 is rated at 25 volts while the 100 is only 15 volts.

Rather than mess about I think I will steal a power amp from the "Great Experiment" 3020 and proceed from there. Spent the better part of two hours looking through my goodies because I swear I had a 2SK99 as I debated using it on an A-1 when I needed a 2SK100 - no joy.

I stole a power amp from the Great Experiment CR-3020, changed out a bad 2SB544 on the power board (it tested good but did not switch under power. Now the lady sings, not loud so I still have a dirty switch or summat, but that is for tomorrow, time for a good stiff drink. She should run cooler as all the new caps on the power board are smaller so better air circulation.

Last edited:
It has been a real learning experience reading about this "great experiment". I truely appreciate your craftsmanship and electronic knowledge. I sometimes wish you could be training an apprentice who could lighten your load. I aften wish that apprentice was me. I am absolutely amazed and jealous by what you can do. Know the results will be fantastic!

DK

Back
Top Bottom