Someone sold my amp (used) for MORE than a NEW one!

MikE

Color Me Gone
Just received an Email from a gentlemen in Spain who would like to place an order with Moth Audio for an indentical amp as mine. Asking about the specific upgrades we incorporated he mentioned that there was a s45 for sale on AudioGon (I was aware) and that it sold for $1950, which is $550 MORE than I paid for my amp (in stock form). There was a recent price increase of $400 but the guy was still selling a USED component, though he was kicking in some nice tubes; Sovtek 2a3s and a pair of vintage 45s, along with a few nice rectifiers. Still, when another buddie (Inmate TIC) brought the amp ad to my attention I told him the asking price of $1700 was reasonable considering the price increase, extra tubes and I believe the seller had the expensive Blk Gate PS caps installed at Moth. I told him to try an talk him down, never thinking it would sell for more than a NEW AMP! I guess the buyer didn't want to wait for Craig to builld him one (I waited three months). Makes me feel better about my investment, not that I'm considering selling her. :)

MikE

Maybe you've answered this, but I'll ask anyways. Did your amp come with tubes when you bought it, or were those extra?

Stock tubes

Tim, the Moth s45 came stock with NOS 6an4 input tubes (2) and the rectifier of your choice; either a NOS Chatham 5r4 for 45 operation or a current production Sovtek 5ar4. Moth would sell you discounted Sovtek 2a3's but you were on your own to snag the (then non-production) 45s. There is now a 45 being produced. The reason for not including the output tubes is that MANY users would have or sub the Sovteks anyway so why make them pay for something they would have little need. I did, but only to burn-in the amp, and now never listen to them, or even the NOS RCA bi-plates, perferring the 45s globes instead.

MikE

Mike,
Did you know that TJ makes a globe meshplate 300B with a 2.5 fil you can drop in. Same tube as mine only 2.5 instead of 5v. This tube by the way beat out all other current production 300Bs including the $900/pr WEs. I know you like old stock over new but you are a tube rolling guy and I thought you should know if you didn't already.
Thatch

David

Yes, I've heard of the FullMusic 2.5v 300b. They look cool, though nothing touches vintage globes as the coolest looking. If I could score a pair cheap or get a good used pair I may check them out just to get another flavor. I need to get another cx-345 Cunningham 45 globe before I get any other tube!

MikE

Back
Top Bottom