Somethin' Else Album 2015 vinyl LP Limited Edition...Reviews please?

daza152

Hey guys can anyone tell me about this particular pressing? is on a Blue Note record Label? does it sound good? Thanks. Do you have it...? I have found one new for only $22NZ including poistage from the states!!

Mine has 2012 & 2014 on the back and its sounds great. I just bought it new last year and it sounds like the one your looking at might be the same reissue. Hope that helps. Cheers

I have one like this daza,180 grams from original analog tapes but mine is a 1997 pressing. Don't know how it sounds,never opened it but unless they are cutting new masters with each run I would think twice. JMO though.

I have one like this daza,180 grams from original analog tapes but mine is a 1997 pressing. Don't know how it sounds,never opened it but unless they are cutting new masters with each run I would think twice. JMO though.
I was thinking about it and, you always get what you pay for hence, the better sounding issues are much more expensive? I'll find the catalog number...

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin Else (Vinyl NEW)
Label: Dol
Format: LP
Release Date: 03 Feb 2015
No. of Discs: 1
UPC: 889397557942

Dol generally isn't considered very good. If you read up on stevehofffman site, etc, lots of people say they're just transferred from CD a lot of the time.

I've heard generally better things about Waxtime (also a discount label that issues classic jazz), but never had one to actually listen to.

Dol generally isn't considered very good. If you read up on stevehofffman site, etc, lots of people say they're just transferred from CD a lot of the time.

I've heard generally better things about Waxtime (also a discount label that issues classic jazz), but never had one to actually listen to.
Hey thanks I hadn't heard of DOL before and wonderingh what that was about. Thanks. If you were to buy a new issue which would it be?

What can I say Daza I love this album. I have
1987 stereo blue note dmm pressing
1997 stereo blue note 180 gram pressing
Music Matters re issue
Analouge Productions 45 rpm grey/Hoffman
Redbook cd
Rudy Van Gelder 20 bit re master
Sacd
I still want to get it in Mono though.

Thee are my to get titles before I branch out...
Blue Train
A Love Supreme
Kind of Blue
This one above..(Somethin' Else)
Charles Mingus Ah Um
Dave Brubeck Time Out
Billie Holiday Lady in Satin
and maybe this one........
upload_2017-8-26_15-10-18.png

Thee are my to get titles before I branch out...
Blue Train
A Love Supreme
Kind of Blue
This one above..(Somethin' Else)
Charles Mingus Ah Um
Dave Brubeck Time Out
Billie Holiday Lady in Satin
and maybe this one........
View attachment 992328

Excellent choice of titles. The thing to keep in mind is that to get the top/best of each title on vinyl will almost certainly be more expensive than being open to getting it on other formats (SACD/CD).

I have

Blue Train: Analouge Productions 45 rpm
A Love Supreme: SACD
Somethin' Else: Analouge Productions 45 rpm grey/Hoffman
Mingus Ah Um: SACD
Time Out: Analouge Productions 33rpm
Bare Bones: Mofi (think it's 33rpm)
Midnight Blue: Music Matters 33rpm

I don't know what your vinyl vs digital playback chains are like and how they compare, but a really well recorded SACD (or even CD) can be VERY satisfying as well. If you have the coin and really love vinyl (and don't mind getting up fairly often for the 45rpm sets), you can go all vinyl, but I wouldn't rule out some of those selections on SACD if you can find them significantly cheaper.

You don't have any Bill Evans on your list - one of my favorite artists: Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby, Explorations. . .basically anything from that timeframe. . .are also really excellent choices to pick up. For whatever reason, most of my Evans happens to be on SACD or XRCD, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything really by not having it on vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom