Somethin' Else Album 2015 vinyl LP Limited Edition...Reviews please?

Excellent choice of titles. The thing to keep in mind is that to get the top/best of each title on vinyl will almost certainly be more expensive than being open to getting it on other formats (SACD/CD).

I have

Blue Train: Analouge Productions 45 rpm
A Love Supreme: SACD
Somethin' Else: Analouge Productions 45 rpm grey/Hoffman
Mingus Ah Um: SACD
Time Out: Analouge Productions 33rpm
Bare Bones: Mofi (think it's 33rpm)
Midnight Blue: Music Matters 33rpm

I don't know what your vinyl vs digital playback chains are like and how they compare, but a really well recorded SACD (or even CD) can be VERY satisfying as well. If you have the coin and really love vinyl (and don't mind getting up fairly often for the 45rpm sets), you can go all vinyl, but I wouldn't rule out some of those selections on SACD if you can find them significantly cheaper.

You don't have any Bill Evans on your list - one of my favorite artists: Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby, Explorations. . .basically anything from that timeframe. . .are also really excellent choices to pick up. For whatever reason, most of my Evans happens to be on SACD or XRCD, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything really by not having it on vinyl.
Thanks for that info I think I'll go the long hard road and stick to vinyl as it's the only format I love!!! plus no SACD player haha. I have Heard of Bill Evans ..of course, but not familiar with his work, I did play this on YouTube today and Loved it.......

All things considered Daza you can't go wrong sonically with either the Analouge Productions 45rpm or Music Matters 45rpm. The difference maker for me is ALL Music Matters offerings come in a Gatefold and Music Matters uses 4 rare photos by Alfred Lion of the musicians involved in the recording on the inside of the Gatefold. They purchased these photos for this purpose and the Gatefold are a work of art.

Thanks I will take a look aty both those issues today. I had a splash out last night on a Pink Floyd - Animals the 2017 Remastered 40th Anniversary LP I had been wanting for a while, seems weird to be buiying it while lopoking at Jazz but I knew I had to have it too. Thanks.

Yup if its in mint shape that's a bargin. Regarding your list may I suggest
Kenny Burrell / Midnight Blue
Hey I bought this one, the Classic Records 200g Mono, the price was just too good. I am assuming that it is Brand New too. Fingers crossed haha. On to the next one now, I still don't have a KoB yet Gee Wizz.

Hey I bought this one, the Classic Records 200g Mono, the price was just too good. I am assuming that it is Brand New too. Fingers crossed haha. On to the next one now, I still don't have a KoB yet Gee Wizz.
Won't need a copy of KOB after you purchase Somethin' else...its so good and hard to beat!

Hey I bid on Kenny today on eBay and didn't get it but will try again another day! and hey the Somethin' Else Classic Records 200 gram Mono for $50NZ is brand new still sealed!!!! only $36 US :thumbsup:
You got the right Classic records recording for Somethin Else,the knock on their Stereo version is its a tad bright. The Mono version is da kine. Enjoy Daza, that album is a classic record,no pun intended.

Hey I bid on Kenny today on eBay and didn't get it but will try again another day! and hey the Somethin' Else Classic Records 200 gram Mono for $50NZ is brand new still sealed!!!! only $36 US :thumbsup:

Nice! That is a huge bargain, those Classic Records releases can get up there quite a bit and they are fantastic. If you can, get both Kind Of Blue and Blue Train on Classic Records as well.

If I read this thread correctly you're just getting into jazz, right? My tip, stick with the better known labels. You can't go wrong with Classic Records, Analogue Productions (who have bought Classic Records) and Music Matters. Another label I really like is Speaker's Corner. I have some mixed feelings about MoFi and ORG but they generally have good releases as well.

Also, Lee Morgan's Search For The New Land is a wonderful record to start a jazz collection with... :D

I stumble across an auction last night and won it wasn't even looking for it.....the 2-LP version picked it NM cheap as

upload_2017-8-29_17-54-0.png

I'm cheap. I own mostly the run of the mill Blue Note reissues, although I do have a few choice reissues from the 180-gram Connoisseur series they released back in the 2000s. Most of mine are from the much maligned Scorpio distributors, but in all honesty, I think most of them sound fine.

Regarding the Blue Note titles to buy, you can hardly go wrong with almost anything from about 1955 to 1965.

I'm cheap. I own mostly the run of the mill Blue Note reissues, although I do have a few choice reissues from the 180-gram Connoisseur series they released back in the 2000s. Most of mine are from the much maligned Scorpio distributors, but in all honesty, I think most of them sound fine.

Regarding the Blue Note titles to buy, you can hardly go wrong with almost anything from about 1955 to 1965.
I have quite a few of the DMM and The Connoisseur series recordings. As discussed on here some people like em and some don't. I like em.

Back
Top Bottom