Something MAYBE Gonna Go RIGHT for Me For a Change....

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Sandy G, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Sandy G

Sandy G Spiteful Old Cuss Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

I think I told youse guys about the flood of Biblical proportions I recently suffered in my basement. Naturally, my Wondrous Insurance Co.refused to honor any/all claims since it was a flood, & I had NO flood rider-Of course, they NEVER told me of any sort of requirement. Anyhow, I contacted Serv-Pro, they came in, & told me that to make it like it never even happened, as they claim in their ads, was gonna cost me close on to $10K. Gulp. I don't mind paying for things, but I kinda get cheesed about paying for for some chucklehead's college education, or his new boat. Talked to an old & dear buddy of mine, who's an attorney in Birmingham, & HE'D had a problem w/Serv-Pro last summer over a flood in HIS basement. He said I needed to call around & see if I could find some other outfit, which I did today. Got this outfit, Mold-Tek coming in tomorrow, let's hope these guys are gonna be a LITTLE more reasonable. I'll report back after I find out.... Wish me Luck !-S.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Lily! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Good luck, old son.

3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Good Luck Sandy

4. blhagstrom

blhagstrom Mad Scientist, fixer. Subscriber

Luck

$10K to clean up a basement flood...like it never happened...probably not unreasonable.

I had an oil furnace leak, flood of heating oil. Found out almost NO insurance company covers that. Hazardous waste and if it gets outside the building, EPA cleanup will take the house. Putting oil back in the ground is really a bad thing.

I made it like it never happened.
    Took me about a month and a few $1k.
    But, I'm handy that way.
    Learned a lot of new tricks too.

5. Sandy G

Danke Schoen, all Y'all.... See, I'm bi-lingual... I speak a little Krautisch. & a LOT of Hillbilly...(Grin)

zebra03 and Marine0811 like this.
  6. Sandy G

Well, one thing that REALLY cheesed me was the fact that I've been a loyal customer w/Tennessee Farmers' Mutual Insurance Co for as long as I've owned this house-almost 25 yrs now,never fussed-or been late on a bill, played by the rules, etc, etc, etc, they never sent anyone by to check out my claim, just had some chucklehead call me on the phone from Gnashville, & basically told me they were gonna screw, blue & tattoo me, & weren't even gonna at least gimme a kiss... Mebbe I need me a new Insurance Co..... Grrrrrr... I just hate gettin' bent over a barrel like that, especially when you can't do a damthing about it. But y'all DON'T know how much yr kind words of support make me feel. Means a H3LLUVA lot..I REALLY mean that, too.

7. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Good luck Sandy, and definitely let us know what the other clean up company says.

8. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

Flood insurance in my area is an optional rider, only a few dollars extra a month but my agent never recommended it one way or another.Caveat Emptor

9. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Best wishes, Sandy.

10. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good luck with the clean-up and restoration. I don't know if they exist in your neck of the woods, but around here, there is another (better) alternative to ServPro--a company called DRS--Disaster Restoration Services. They do fire/water restoration work, and I have sub-contracted with them many times for many years and their requirements are tough to meet, but the quality is tough to beat.

11. richamor

richamor amateur house husband Subscriber

Good luck dude!! Much as I hate to say it I think you're gonna need it. 10 grand!!?!!! What...were they going to build you a new basement? Maybe some gold plated toilet fixtures down there?? or maybe one on them fancy Japanese talking toilets that wipe yer butt and spritz perfume on it????

Insurance......kinda like common sense. That thing you find out you don't have 5 minutes after you realize you need it.

12. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

Yeah, I'd be looking t a new insurance company. That their representative never suggested, or even mentioned, a flood insurance rider is sketchy.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever had to make a claim with them before?

13. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

Best of luck Sandy, Lord knows you deserve it. :thumbsup:

14. bbqjoe

bbqjoe Void where Prohibited Subscriber

I hope you didn't have your amps sitting on the floor!

15. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

As crazy as it sounds, $10K is NOTHING to restore a basement--especially a finished basement. I am a contractor, and do some fire/water restoration work, and it ain't cheap. The biggest issue with water involved is mold remediation/prevention. It's easy, and relatively inexpensive to set up some fans, throw up a few sheets of new drywall, and a new chunk of carpet on the floor--then wait 6 months and everyone in the house is sick. Mold is no joke. If you have to replace appliances--like a furnace, water heater, and washer/dryer, you can double or triple that amount easily.

People don't understand that about fire damage either. OK--so it was a little kitchen fire and only hurt the kitchen. Now try to get the smoke smell out of the entire house, and factor in the couple thousand gallons of water the fire dept just pumped into your house to "save" it, and we're talking big money--not just a new kitchen.

Floods also pose an additional issue--structural integrity. I have a friend/colleague with an MS in mechanical engineering--he works for an insurance company as an adjuster. They pay him big $$$ to go figure out if something has been structurally damaged by fire/water, and what it will cost to "fix" it.

tcdriver likes this.
  16. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Praying all will be well for ya ole Sandy!

Rome

17. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

I hope all turns out well!
    Regards,
    Jim

18. Sandy G

Well, I have a "Small" mortgage type loan thru a local bank, & am required to have insurance-I think that's a good idea. I nay have a little chit chat w/my bank-Likely won't do any good, but, you never know. About 5-10 yrs ago, Tn Farmers called me in to do a review of my insurance & needs. AT NO TIME, did the agent ever mention anything about a "Flood Rider", or suggest that I needed any more coverage. Yeah, I know these flood riders add only a few measly bucks to most policies, I doubt if I would have made a squawk about it at all... And yeah, I use these byrds for my car insurance as well, had a few claims, but nothing that should have really bothered the huge pile these jackapes have managed to extricate from me over the years...

19. sanford12

sanford12 Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff Subscriber

I've been changing insurance companies every 4 or 5 years for a while now. When they start charging more for the same coverage I start looking somewhere else. We had Progressive and when they kept upping our rates with no claims we changed to State Farm. When we hit the road in the RV we went back to Progressive because they were the cheapest. When we went back to a home we got a quote from Progressive for both home and car that was crazy high and thats with never having a accident claim against me. This time we went with Allstate. They were more than 600 bucks cheaper for the same coverage.

It's really easy to change Insurance companies and there is a line of thought that you should change companies every few years.

zebra03 likes this.
  20. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

^ ^ ^

Except when your rate is locked in.

savatage1973 likes this.