Somewhat fishy ebay sale?

nick parkin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings all!

I recently sold a pair of Bang and Olufsen RL 60.2's on ebay. At first, a kid messaged me who said his aunt wants to buy him his first stereo as an early Christmas present.

"Okay" I thought, this person is probably younger and is just getting into stereos. after an exchange of messages (of which he sent me three in a row, two times) he told me his aunt does not have an ebay account and that she is going to wire transfer him some money to buy these speakers (kind of an advanced and complicated method to get funds for a pair of speakers). fast forward a few hours, and someone else bought the speakers. He messaged me saying his aunt had made an ebay account so she could buy them.

His aunt has 0 feedback on ebay, and the kid who talked to me has over 300 feedbacks, all 100% positive which his kind of weird. it also says he joined ebay in 2003 so I don't think it is a kid, however tis strange that his aunt would be buying him his first stereo, as his profile says he's been on ebay for 15 years so clearly he's an older person and I just find it strange that he's never owned a stereo before and that his aunt is buying it for him.

Is this some elaborate scam or something?

If it smells fishy, it's one of three things, all of which can get you into a lot of trouble if you aren't careful.

As long as you got paid and the shipping address is the same as the buyer account then it is probably ok.

" fast forward a few hours, and someone else bought the speakers."

As in someone totally else, or the account his aunt started?
If not related to the "kid" then too bad, so sad, they have already been purchased.
If it was "the aunt" my spidey senses would be tingling....

Greetings all!

I recently sold a pair of Bang and Olufsen RL 60.2's on ebay. At first, a kid messaged me who said his aunt wants to buy him his first stereo as an early Christmas present.

"Okay" I thought, this person is probably younger and is just getting into stereos. after an exchange of messages (of which he sent me three in a row, two times) he told me his aunt does not have an ebay account and that she is going to wire transfer him some money to buy these speakers (kind of an advanced and complicated method to get funds for a pair of speakers). fast forward a few hours, and someone else bought the speakers. He messaged me saying his aunt had made an ebay account so she could buy them.

His aunt has 0 feedback on ebay, and the kid who talked to me has over 300 feedbacks, all 100% positive which his kind of weird. it also says he joined ebay in 2003 so I don't think it is a kid, however tis strange that his aunt would be buying him his first stereo, as his profile says he's been on ebay for 15 years so clearly he's an older person and I just find it strange that he's never owned a stereo before and that his aunt is buying it for him.

CASH - Take the CASH first -

I think I'd have replied:

"Wow! What a small world! My aunt handles shipping for me. She lives in San Francisco (or Boston, whichever is further from the buyer). I ship only to her, then she ships to you. Note actual shipping charges - in this case comes to $577 - and add that in. She almost always gets stuff delivered to the right place despite the Alzheimer's."

Yeah, the fishy part, of course, is it sounds like someone coming up with an explanation for his intention to have shipping and billing addresses differ.

Last edited:
Sounds like a hijacked account to me.

Greetings all!

his profile says he's been on ebay for 15 years so clearly he's an older person and I just find it strange that he's never owned a stereo before

eBay almost always sides with the buyer so beware. I had something similar happen with a sale to Australia, girl with 0 feedback wanted to buy three pair of Jamo C103's for her boyfriends b'day.

Contacted eBay, they suggested I cancel the sale due to red flags, I followed their advice. The boyfriend got involved, wasn't happy, contacted eBay. eBay contacted me very apologetic, the sale went through and all was fine.

Just keep in mind a completed sale isn't complete until the funds are "In your bank".

Damn Grend, I wish I had known you had 103's for sale. I have the 109's and a C10, so those would have completed the 5.1 setup, and pissed off my SO to no end, in our small living room.

Damn Grend, I wish I had known you had 103's for sale. I have the 109's and a C10, so those would have completed the 5.1 setup, and pissed off my SO to no end, in our small living room.

Pretty sure I mentioned it here. I believe you purchased your 109's at the same time, they're white if memory serves. I actually grabbed a pair in white but canceled the purchase because I had no use for them, now black on the other hand lol.

I still check the Amazon Jamo listing from time to time but haven't seen a sale like that for quite some time now.

And now that I'm in the new digs and setting up the media rm I was thinking how great it would be if I would have kept two more pair for the rear channels and center. But as I never listen to music in surround the Canton center and rear speakers should suffice for movies etc.

Afaik, they aren't in production since last year. I think ASD had their sales and that was that. Still delighted with the 109's but now I'm eyeing a set of Double Impacts.

well folks I already shipped them but ive been paid and they were professionally packaged by FedEx so they won't have any damage when they make it there.

Back
Top Bottom