Sonab film cap replacement

kohngallery

I'm still a little fuzzy (not uncommon for me) about capacitors and replacements. I want to replace a film cap from a Sonab OA-12 and the original says "5.6/10% 100v." Would like to use a WIMA cap as I have heard great things about them, and for $4.00 I'll splurge. But the closest value I can find is "6.8 uf/100 vdc/10%." What would happen if I use a greater value? And are film caps interchangeable with nichion electrolytic caps?

It depends where the cap is in the circuit and what it does. Can you post a relevant section of the schematic?

Film caps do not degrade like electrolytics. No need to replace it unless damaged. Using a different value will upset the crossover.

Here's the schematic and if you change the value it will affect the crossover, this is a good read for boutique caps, the sky is the limit on pricing on some of these though http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

OA121411-filter.jpg

I get why A/B testing is difficult, misleading, and annoying to non objectivists. But I put little credence in the idea that we can remember sounds clearly enough that we can hear improvements as a result of burning in over many hours (I think he mentions hundreds of hours at one point- he can't have can he? How does he even have the time?). I am confident that what is actually happening is that he is getting acclimated to the sound. How he keeps all those caps and their characteristic sounds in his memory is beyond me, or my ability to believe.

How he keeps all those caps and their characteristic sounds in his memory is beyond me, or my ability to believe.

Not to mention the fact that the dearer the caps the better they seem to fair.

Back
Top Bottom