Sonance'84's stereo evolution (lots of photos)

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
Well, since I'm fairly new to the whole audio hobby (addiction), I though I'd show the evolution of my 2-channel stereo system with a touch of home theater. There will be a few different parts to this thread, spanning my first vinyl setup from August 2008 through my current main setup. I'll show listening rooms as well. First, here's a little back story...

I have always been a music lover...ever since I can remember "borrowing" my brothers Pink Floyd and Doors CD's back in 5th grade. But, what started this whole hobby was me wanting to get into listening to records (something my generation missed by a wee bit...cassettes were our thing). So, by getting into records, I found that vintage stereo equipment was the way to go for good entry level sound quality on a budget. The hobby started to grow into a love for all things stereo related and around the same time, I had a talk with my stepdad where he mentions to look into McIntosh gear. Before that, I had no idea about high-end stereo gear...but I soon realized there is a whole industry based around hi-fi stereo components and quality sound...and so the quest begun. :music: :smoke: :beerchug:

Now, stuck in the world of hi-fi, I find that this quest for audio nirvana will never end...unless I hit the jackpot and get to build a dream system (but that might take the fun out of it! :D). Knowing this, I gladly accept what is offered to me by the Audio Gods at any given time and if it sounds better than what I'm using at the time, it stays, and then I sell the defeated party. That being said, I do have a separate tube system and solid-state system now which never contend with each other, but offer a yin and yang sort of balance. They get rotated in and out as I see fit.

Alas, I did have to sell a few pieces of gear over this last year that I didn't want to (had to :thumbsdown:, as it was a rough one...but I plan to buy those exact same units again, when I get the chance. Their spots are currently being held by backup units.

One thing is for sure...this has all been a great learning experience. :yes:

Now, on with the pictures...I hope you enjoy them! :thmbsp:

Cory

Last edited:
In the beginning...

I'll start off with my first vinyl playback stereo system (2008)...which we'll refer to as "The Culprit" for now, as it got me into this hobby. Started out with just KG-4's, then borrowed the Heresys from my stepdad and ran all four speakers at once to get the sound I liked best. Crites diaphragms were added to the KG-4 towards the end of their run. I still didn't know about critical speaker positioning yet though.

System 1 (Oct '08 - Feb '09):

- Sansui 771 receiver
- Micro Seiki MB-14 turntable
- old warn Shure cartridge, soon replaced with a Shure M97xE
- Phillips dvd/cd player
- Klipsch KG-4s w/ Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Klipsch Heresys
- Monster Cable XP speaker wire and interconnects

DSC03129-3.jpg

DSC03133-3.jpg

DSC03137-1.jpg

DSC03134-1.jpg

DSC03140-1.jpg

DSC03139-1.jpg

DSC03138-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a cool room to hang out in.

What effect do the fish tanks have on your sound and what sort of music do the fish respond most favorably too?

Also,
Where is the dog?

P.s.
Stunning lampshade.

Dave

Yeah, I liked the sound of that room, even though it was really small and probably exaggerated the bass. It was comfortable in there watching the fish.

I'm not sure what kind of effect the fish tanks had on the sound, but the fish didn't seem to mind any type of music. I had all Amazonian fish, including Cichlid and Catfish. It was an 84 gallon tank, which I sold when I moved from that house. My friend now owns it, but I don't think it's in use yet.

The dog that uses that cage is lounging around the house elsewhere at the time of these pics...but he will make an appearance later in the thread.

I still use that very same lampshade upstairs at my new place, although the lamp gets little use.

Last edited:
Another step...

A little later down the road, I came across a pair of Klipsch Fortes...soon to find out something isn't quite right with the tweeters (blown). So, a call to Bob Crites and I ordered a pair of new Ti tweeter diaphragms and grabbed the new crossovers while I was at it.

Before the Crites package arrived, I found the Marantz receiver...and had already ordered the Marantz universal disc player and power cable. The Lovan isolation rack and Furman line conditioner came from a local hi-fi shop. I then got lucky with a Technics turntable thrown in my lap. This was all a definite step up to my ears.

System 2 (Mar '09 - June '09):

- Marantz 4270 quad receiver
- Technics SL-1200MK2 w/ Shure M97xE
- Marantz VC6001 w/ PS Audio power cable
- Klipsch Fortes w/ Bob Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Lovan isolation rack
- Furman PST-8 line conditioner
- Monster Cable XP speaker wire and interconnects

DSC03430-1.jpg

DSC03397-1.jpg

DSC03405-1.jpg

DSC03481-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool room, cool gear. I love the Klipsche. I also love that huge tank. But wow, I'd be way too afraid to put that smaller tank behind and above my gear. Just paranoid about leaks, or at least whatever pulp fiction gimp you keep in that huge cage there could thrash that room to pieces! :yikes:

"Bring out the gimp"
stephen-hibbert.jpg

Jimmy

Last edited:
That small 20 gallon tank was moved out of the room as system #2 was pieced together...the Fortes needed some breathing room. I got that fish tank back in 1998, when I was in 8th grade. And, it's the only aquarium I still have in use currently. I always wanted to make the switch to saltwater and probably will someday, but for now, my stereo gets more attention.

The milestone...

This setup served as a great reference point for me and made me realize that sound quality really does get better, the higher up the chain you go. literally thought this would be my 'final' stereo to use for years to come (and pass down)...that is until tubes entered the picture. :para:

I found the amp / pre locally on CL and was beside myself, after lusting over Mac gear. My local hi-fi shop had some more influence on this system as well and got me fitted with a new CDP and some fancy cables. This was my first real taste at what hi-fi was capable of and I loved it. :yes:

Also, the addition of the Denon headphones was out of curiosity. But, as I'm single and don't live in an apartment/condo, they didn't get much use at all and I have since sold them. Though, when I did use them, it was amazing they sound they could produce. No detectable difference when going from the Fortes to the cans.

System 3 (June '09 - June '10):

- Mcintosh MC2105 amp
- McIntosh C29 preamp
- Marantz SA8003 (SACDP)
- Klipsch Fortes W/ Bob Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Denon AH-D5000 headphones
- Lovan isolation rack
- Kimber Kable 8VS speaker cable w/ WBT locking bananas
- Kimber Kable PBJ interconnects (source to pre)
- Kimber Kable Hero interconnects (pre to amp)

DSC03681-1-1.jpg

DSC03694-1.jpg

DSC03696-1.jpg

DSC03684-1.jpg

DSC03683-1.jpg

DSC03685-1.jpg

DSC03711-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking system. Glad to see you got rid of all that water sitting over your equipment..

Thanks for all the compliments guys...I really had fun with each of these setups, for sure. There's still a place in my heart for that McIntosh combo I had and most days I wish it were still around.

from solid-state to tubes...

Alright, this is where the story get's interesting...

I wanted to try out tubes and was at the time receiving free catalogs from Mapleshade, who are a recording studio, but recently dabble in "audiophile stuff" including modified stereo components. They sold me a "hot rodded - fully modified" H.H. Scott 222-C integrated amp (1st picture), which I tried out and it actually sounded great, but I quickly returned it within their '30-day money back' offer period for specific reasons other than sound quality (look up the thread for more info - thanks to the fellow AK'ers who helped me through that one! :thmbsp:) But, it did leave me with a taste for tubes, so it gets a mention here.

I then continued to follow advice from AK'ers and found me a fully original near mint H.H. Scott 299-D integrated amp (pics 2-5)...which made its way to NOSValves himself, Craig Ostby, before I ever saw it in person (this happened just before I sent the Mapleshade 222-C back). I had the premium servicing done to it and it was making sweet music just before my birthday, June 2009. I now had a tube amp!! To this day, I couldn't be happier with this investment...it will never leave my possession.

The hard part came when I had to choose between the McIntosh combo previously mentioned and the Scott 299-D, because I couldn't afford to own both at that time. Not surprisingly, the Scott 299-D won on all levels with me, with the same sources and speakers I was already using. So, the McIntosh left my life, which was very sad..but I had something I liked better now.

One of my personal favorites, it sounded truly amazing. Oddly enough, I didn't snap too many pictures of this system...I must have been too busy just enjoying the music. :music:

P.S. The Cornwalls in pic 3 were temporary (maybe a week) as I preferred the Fortes. I refinished the Cornwalls myself...they were painted black by the previous owner. :twak:

System 4 (June '10 - Nov '11):

- H.H. Scott 299-D w/ premium NOSValves rebuild
- Marantz SA8003 (SACDP)
- Klipsch Fortes w/ Bob Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms
- Denon AH-D5000 headphones
- Lovan isolation rack
- Kimber Kable 8VS speaker cable w/ WBT locking bananas
- Kimber Kable Hero interconnects (source to amp)

DSC03828-1.jpg

a25fede6-079e-4ea4-91b0-883bee8bbec6_zps0cca2a58.jpg

DSC04250-1.jpg

DSC04591-1.jpg

DSC07800-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom