Song(s) that sound best on your system?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Kreshna, May 10, 2018.

1. Superampman

Superampman AK Member Subscriber

Everything is fabulous here regardless how good the recording. Listening to top notch gear is simply a pleasure. This question is moot.

Roadrash likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. This is where I disagree. The more revealing the system, the less enjoyable poor recordings become I've found. Additionally, some systems are just perfect for certain recordings. Hence, the original post is a very interesting one.

3. spiralmind

spiralmind Member

Seems like anything by Steely Dan sounds terrific, it could have to do with the original mastering. My Peachtree DACITx really does a fine job of bringing little details to the forefront.

KDAC likes this.
  4. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Just about everything.. One of my favorites..

Ds2000 and spiralmind like this.
  5. spiralmind

spiralmind Member

Agree wholeheartedly on that. A bad/poor quality master will be more glaringly obvious.

manu et deo and avionic like this.
  6. Superampman

Okay. That's what you've found. I've found something else.

I love hearing how the gear deals with it.

7. Can't Buy a Thrill, Aja, and Pretzel Logic came to mind as soon as I read your post. I have all of their studio albums and a few compilations. These three are my favorite, sound great, and get repeat plays.

S S, sdw54, ldatlof and 1 other person like this.
  8. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Stevie Ray usually sounds great.

Denten, ldatlof, HowlerMonkey and 2 others like this.
  9. imral3

imral3 Super Member

What sounds best on my system is the song/album to which I'm currently listening. Though I will admit the better recordings are always a bonus. I try to not compare the sound quality of one album to another. I find this distracts from enjoying the artist's work.

10. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Joseph Jongen Symphonie Concertate, Dorian recordings 1994. Meyerson Hall in Dallas. It’s a demanding and beautifully recorded performance, and I’m a fan of Mata. (R.I.P.) Hugely dynamic, so it’s definitely a show off disc.
    Funny thing tho, even older CBS Records digital discs aren’t rendered unlistenable by this setup. I just played one recently and it was quite good, tbh. So this system is really versatile, I’ve not been chased out of the room by the usual suspects yet.
    I’m really happy about this, some of the performances are stellar, but the discs used to be too hard edged.
    I left one thing out. When needed, these speakers can be really raw and loud when needed. Take Nirvana “Serve The Servants” from In Utero. Man, that’s a good and loud one. It’s also fantastically recorded and full of energy. The Onkyo’s do better with it than I’ve yet heard. Somehow they struck a nearly mythical balance between analytical but still very musical, and speed but without the diffuse or overly large presentation that speakers attributed to fast often exhibit. And well they should for what they cost to design and buy.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Harvestor likes this.
  11. spiralmind

spiralmind Member

It's no wonder why some audiophiles use Steely Dan recordings when trying out new audiophile equipment. 'The Royal Scam' is a favorite of mine, but that Rhodes....*sigh*

KDAC likes this.

12. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

I do think British. Yes, Early British Invasion....The Beatles, Stones, Birds, and the like. Why? Probably due to the inherent electronic make up of the British gear being Quad 33 tayloring the output, and the output being provided by a Quad 405. And suffice to say, with some hardy Wharfedales expressing the end result, lads.

So there you have it, in a bundle, m'8's.:D

Q

13. Superampman

Gotta love the Brits

14. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Make that an X colonialist, and you have it !:D

Q

15. Superampman

16. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

And yer from...Kitchener? Tsk, tsk!

Have a good day with lots of great listening:music:...and a Fosters in hand, eh?

Q

17. red 111

red 111 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Charles Lloyds new LP...Passin Thru...if you can get this LP to make sense...you have a great system...while most LPs sound right on my rig,i could never enjoy this LP until i played it on a pals big ticket system..so now its my go to LP for auditioning gear.

18. The Fuxtor

The Fuxtor AK Subscriber Subscriber

Although not a devout fan, I always find Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien to sound very good!

19. Kreshna

Kreshna ...but I have to know.

Same here. JBL titaniums are pretty revealing speakers. Sure, they're not Yamaha NS-1000, but they're pretty revealing nonetheless, that most of my MP3s sound really ugly.

B&W DM302s, on the other hand, seem to gloss over less than ideal sources with their warmth and sweetness. Everything sound organic, including electronic songs made of digital samples.

20. curtpenn

curtpenn Member

I tend to agree. It all depends on the source. Was really enjoying Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy just yesterday. Never gets old.