Song(s) that sound best on your system?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Kreshna, May 10, 2018.

1. corbin

corbin Active Member

Hey thanks for the tip, I had no idea vinyl was less compressed than Youtube. :rolleyes:

FauxHall likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not just any vinyl - 12” 45 RPM dance singles that run only about five minutes are incredibly dynamic. Much more so than the CD versions. Have about half a dozen Madonna titles.

Groove spacing is wide enough to be able to count them. :)

reydelaplaya and petemcfc like this.
  3. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

Santana....

Kreshna and FauxHall like this.
  4. Kreshna

Kreshna ...but I have to know.

Djcoolray likes this.
  5. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

That’s cool, I’ll have to check out that song....

I’m using a Yamaha MX-1000, Yamaha EQ-630 and a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-100’s....all european spec !! :cool:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Kreshna likes this.
  6. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Really dynamic stuff with a lot of slam sounds best on my rig. My JBL L200's with its compression drivers just eats the piano up and can happily play it all day at ear splitting SPL's and show no signs of distortion. Feed em some Patricia Barber ( Yellow Car 3, or Ode to Billy Joe, or Nardis) and most people would plunk right down in the chair and listen..

However, dirty guitar, lots of the same voice dubbed over and the like, and the 200's seem to dislike it. Maybe they just don't like crappy sounding recordings!

7. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

SACD at it's best. Incredibly alive on OB's and my favorite is number 3.

[​IMG]

8. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

Min Bul - Champagne of Course

9. ev13wt

ev13wt Super Member

10. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

The record I'm currently listening to.

imral3 likes this.
  11. petemcfc

petemcfc Well-Known Member

12" singles really cut the mustard,mine are all UK pressings,I haven't heard any US pressings but I believe the UK singles are mastered hot which would suit the medium.

E-Stat likes this.

12. jcamero

jcamero If you get confused just listen to the music play Subscriber

"Postcard" by THE WHO, (John Entwistle).

Kreshna and Ds2000 like this.
  13. Kreshna

What does your system consist of? Why does the song sound best on your system?

14. justjed2

justjed2 Active Member

Another vote for Telegraph Road, Dire Straits. I also like Odyssey, Dixie Dregs, from What If. Both songs have a lot going on sometimes, a little going on at other times, and a lot of detail and coherence that can be masked by inferior playback. I'm sure I'm not hearing all that is there, but I enjoy hearing way more than I used to hear, and for me, that is the point of the exercise....

Ds2000, Kreshna and awillia6 like this.
  15. Kreshna

Interesting. I really wonder how would they sound on B&W DM302s/Rotel RB-985 combo.

Ds2000 likes this.
  16. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

All songs sound best on my system, classical and jazz too. And by best, I mean that in the Panglossian sense - mine is The Reference System, acoustically the finest system in this most optimal of possible multiverses.

The Lord like to drop in on Thursday nights for an Alvin and the Chipmunks marathon and beer pong.

/S

Geezer pop is what I like to listen to most on my system - well recorded stuff with many but not necessarily a multitude of instruments. I listen to quite a bit of Richard Thompson, greatly enjoy the Knopfler/Harris collaboration, and often use the Cooder and Toure Talking Timbuktu album as a reference. It does well with most well-recorded music, though, and poor recordings often sound pretty lifeless.

The main system is a server with primarily flac rips sent via DLNA to an oppo 103 that feeds a Korsun integrated driving Thiel 2.2s. there are bass traps under the couch, an elevated number that turns out to have a disappointingly resonant space between the bench and floor, and pedestals under the speakers both to elevate them away from that under-couch abyss and to get the mids pitched to ear level.

I think that if I were a serious classical listener the walls would get some fabric treatment and I'd need to bring the subwoofer back in and place it carefully as well. As it stands there are several favorite pieces I listen to now and again that sound great but I know could sound even better with this setup - Gilels Emperor Concerto with Szell, for instance.

awillia6 and Kreshna like this.

17. keven7

keven7 New Member

Big Yellow Taxi..any system you like

awillia6 likes this.
  18. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

The Flying Lizards - Money

Note that my system consists of two vintage 1970s Sony transistor radios duct-taped to a slab of drywall in the bathroom. The left one's starting to distort more than usual -- time to change the 9v battery.

Kreshna likes this.
  19. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Just gotta love it. Thanks for the laugh!

20. justjed2

justjed2 Active Member

Big Yellow Taxi, which one? Joni Mitchell or Counting Crows?