Songs of Leonard Cohen.

Another vote for someone else singing his great songs. Judy Collins sang quite a few of them.

I was extremely lucky to see him in Las Vegas on December 10th, 2010. I was only 4 or 5 rows back, the tickets were $250 each. It was a really amazing concert, and he was quite funny the whole time, skipping across the stage, et cetera. The music was also great. I wasn't as much into sound back then as much as I am now (Sansa Clip+ and Panasonic RPJ900s-quite good still, IMO.), but I think the sound was VERY good. Not too loud, just a nice concert level. Maybe 90-95 decibels. Very enjoyable experience, one of my favorite ones in life.

Make that two. I do prefer Joe Cockers version of Bird on a Wire, though

Make that three, while some of his cover versions are good, LC does his songs best. Hallelujah loses its sarcastic bend (which it was supposed to have) other sort of turn it into a song similar to the national anthem (USA that is) and thats not what the tone of the song is supposed to be. There is an article I once read called "Even Leonard Cohen is sick of hallelujah" Very funny article.

I saw him at Merryweather Post last time he was there, and even though I am a big fan and could be accused of being biased, I think if you had never heard or seen him before and liked similar music, he would have won most over to him. Its the kind of thing you really need to listen to while not doing any other tasks in the house and pay close attention, he will grab you and put you in his world and you wont know it happened untill you are there.

Catman, I think I see what you're saying. I find it difficult to believe that many people live as deeply as any artist's depiction. When I was pre-teen/teen, movies, music, theater, and such seemed to imbue my day-to-day with much more heft. Certain music really brings that back. Some art theorists talk about how art "opens a world," and I get the feeling Cohen does that for you. He's done that for me as well. Just listening to him makes me feel like a young would-be poet scrawling lines in a dingy cafe. A few years later, I took a modern dance class, and the instructor always had us warm up to "Take This Waltz."

Back
Top Bottom