Songs that made you cry

Wireworm5

Audiophile
Okay we've done movies that made you shed a tear. Now how about some songs?
I played 'Those Were the Days' by Mary Hopkins for a friend awhile back. And I could see he was struggling to hold back the tears.
For me I would say the Russian song that the sailors were singing on the sub, in 'Hunt for Red October'. Also the old Russian National anthem use to stir me. And one more, the theme song for the documentary show 'World at War'.:pity: :sigh:

No song makes me cry. None.

But if there was one, which there isn't, it would probably be Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne. That song swells up a lot of memories for me.

Another is Bob Carlisle's Butterfly Kisses. If you have a daughter, you must hear this song.

OK, there is one song that makes me cry. It is Newsong's Christmas Shoes, about a young boy standing in line at a store to buy his dying mother some new shoes for Christmas, and he doesn't have enough money.

JDaniel

If you've lost your Father, Chet Atkins' "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" will have you blubbering, guaranteed.

Originally posted by fini
If you've lost your Father, Chet Atkins' "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" will have you blubbering, guaranteed.

In a similar vein, Guy Clark's tribute to his father, "The Randall Knife" has been called one of the finest songs ever written, or something to that effect. And I agree.

On Allison Moorer"s live album she does a duet with her sister,Shelby Lynne called "Is Heaven Good Enough for You?"
This song was a tribute to their mother who was killed by their father.Shelby and Allison were witness to this horrible event.
A JDaniel said,no song makes me cry,but this one is just plain sad

Alan

Jdaniel

my mom cries every time she hears butterfly kisses! i have it on my computer too.

really, no songs really make me cry. Ive never had any family or friends lost, but if i did... Israel Kamakawiwole "somewhere over the rainbow" probbly would.

AMAZING GRACE

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes can make my eyes water. It has been played at several burials of my familys'. It will be played at mine by one lone bagpipe.

Kim

"Amazing Grace" on bagpipes (Royal Scotts Dragoon Guards) & "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band both kinda choke me up. So do "Lili Marlene" & "Abraham, Martin, & John". -Sandy G.

umm... this thread is making my eyes well up.

Actually, I'd have to admit that "Same Auld Lang Syne" can have this effect on me, mostly because it was popular at an interesting time in my life as it related to a friend who later became (and still is) my wife!

Let me add a few:

The song "Lightning Crashes" by Live. The first time I heard it, driving to work, the first couple of verses had clouded my eyes to the point that I almost had to pull to the side of the road.

"Me and that Train" and "I Told Him That my Dog Wouldn't Run" by Patty Larkin. Both are based on real events: the former, a harrowing drive in a blizzard in Colorado in a rented Chevette, and the latter, a difficult reunion with an old love who'd been in and out of mental institutions.

"It was Me And That Train
When I drove into the canyon
It was coming up the river
Like a long lost companion

And the walls went to heaven
Into endless darkness
But the train lit up the sandstone
Like a thousand pardons

Just then underneath me
And my beating heart was
Me And That Train

And the trucks were sliding sideways
Like sons of bitches
They were putting on their tire chains
Rolling into ditches
And I crawled on by
Like God was throwing the switches
For Me And That Train "

"He was laughing but I didn't get the joke
He was dying to light up a smoke
And I wanted to cry
In the florescent light of the restaurant
I smiled and I got up to go
I was hoping for a goodbye to hold
But it was kinda like touching a ghost
So I ran when I walked out

He said...
I read the Bible every day
Trying to keep the demons at bay
Thank God when the sun goes down
I don't blow away "

(lyrics copied from www.pattylarkin.com)

Last edited:
Well as sappy as it might seem to some... Phil Collins "Against All Odds".

1985 & the end of a long time love that I'd lost forever.

Not a good time in my life. :(
mOOn

"Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. Written for his son who accidentally crawled out a skyscraper apartment window.

Retro

Hey, anybody in here remeber that song "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. That song would make the eyes well up too......
Or, how about "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks.....

Retro

Dammit, I wish I hadn't started thinkin' about this stuff...Yeah, "Honey" gets me too...Still does after all these years...Even if it is a bit on the cloying side. So does "Which Way You Goin', Billy", I'm surprised none of the Canucks mentioned that one. Was in '89, I was on my way to see a girl I was dating, "Billy" came on, & made me realise I really didn't love her at all. Cried like a little baby the rest of the way, & the relationship fell apart soon after that. -Sandy G.

no tears just a lump...

in my throat when I hear " Vincent Black Lightning" by richard Thompson.

Beaches gave me a tear so I guess Bette doing "wind beneath my wings".

Almost any Hip Hop......good one Rob!!!!!:thmbsp:

Terry Jacks..Seasons in the Sun.....agreed...

Nothing like losing some you love...and hearin' it from their perspective..... :sadwave:

just a bike

Actually Dave

The red Hair and Black Leather are more appealing to me.:D

I sold my bike this year, bought more speakers instead......

Back
Top Bottom