Songs that stab you right in the heart.

Beauty and the beast...Stevie Nicks
I never doubted your beauty I've changed...
Check out her live performance of it in 1983 on YouTube....

"Don't Close Your Eyes" performed by Jake Worthington (The Voice live version. While originally written/sung by Keith Whitley) Jake exudes the emotion of the lyrics as if he's lived it even though he was around 19 when he sang it.

Coming up on two years since Jimmy LaFave passed away. And yet he still lives on with his haunting performances. A truly beautiful performance by him and his backup group, who really are much more than that, of an unknown Dylan song. The video images also contribute ..... It is long and ends with a flourish

Billie Holiday, old before her time, and 18 months from her death, sang "You've Changed" with a voice that was just a shell of its former self.

Found on the "Lady In Satin" recording.

I don't know if I've ever heard anything quite so sad in all my life, whether it's the words, the delivery (with that shot to hell voice that still had phrasing and style) or perhaps the combination of the two. I once played it for my buddy, who is heavy metal all the way. With dewy eyes, he looked at me, and said "That's the saddest damned thing I've ever heard."

I won't post the crap youtube version, but seek it out. I can only listen to it perhaps 1 time a year, and by chance, yesterday was that day.

Yep, I cried.

RIP, Lady Day

Gosh so many great songs and examples of music that stops you, grabs and won't let go. Time, place and people are the greatest influence to what makes up the sound tracks to our lives. Some of the songs that make me reminisce time, place and people include:

This was on a K-Tel country music record of my mothers. I played this album for years from when I was about 5 yrs old, but I can still reflect on the strength of the loss within the song when I was 8 or 9 and realised what he was singing about - it was a freight train realisation.

A self indulgent ode to the loss of someone that I loved very much (1986) and today would give all that I own for one more conversation....

As I drove away leaving someone behind struggling to keep them in my revision mirror for as long as I could this came on the car radio and I lost the plot around the corner. And for that 3 minutes Jewel described that relationship with such clarity....I still cannot to this day not hear that song and not be instantly transported back to 1997.

At 17yrs sitting on a beautiful river bank talking about our futures with my girlfriend, radio on and in that moment I realised my childhood was over and then this came on the boombox and this song has lived with me ever since.

Thanks for the memories

Rob :)

Junior's Eyes - Black Sabbath
Land of Make Believe - Chuck Mangione
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic

One more, and I'll quit.

Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten??

Lord, what a melancholy song. Beautiful, splendid, but melancholy.

Marmalade - Reflections of My Life

I am not smart enough to post a video to click on, but wow!

Dean Ford born Thomas McAleese; 5 September 1946 – 31 December 2018

Back
Top Bottom