Songs with a great Bass Line

Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits is one of my favorite songs just because of the great bass line in it. Also like "Ride Across the River". The Police and Rush have great bass lines running in several of their songs too as several have mentioned.
Supertramp- "Goodbye Stranger" has a catchy bass line.
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge"

Eagles-"Hotel California", Life in the Fast Lane

Cake-Short Skirt-Long Jacket, Love You Madly, The Distance, No Phone, Never There

The B-52s - Love Shack (I know, I know but it's that funky bass line that pulls me in!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few of my favorites:

Jack Bruce`s KILLER bass intro on Zappa`a "Apostrophe"

Elvis Costello`s "Chelsea" (live, circa 1978 or 79)

Dee Lite`s "Good Beat"

Weather Report`s "Teen Town" (Jaco)

Tal Wilkenfeld (with Jeff Beck Group), "LIVE at Ronnie Scott`s"

and, possibly the coolest bass line ever, MarloweDK doing a flawless cover of Norman Watt-Roy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opDEoTZnrwg

Just caught an old Barney Miller re-run,,, the opening sequence has a great bass line....

For clarity's sake, that bass part (by Andy Muson) was lifted, note for note, from the song: "Rock and Roll Is Music Now" on James Taylor's "Walking Man" album.

A nice bass part is the one that Darryl Jones plays on the tune, "Techno" on John Scofield's "Still Warm" album.

The Police - Walking On The Moon
Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection
Morrissey - Interesting Drug
The Zombies - Brief Candles

Plenty of good choices from Rush. Geddy is by far my favorite bass player. Some of my faves: Force Ten, Secret Touch, and Vital Signs.

Other goodies:
Rancid - Rats in the Hallway
The English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
Charlie Mingus - Better Git it in Your Soul
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al from the Concert in the Park

Lots of great songs posted-
The Real Me - The Who
Walking on the Moon- The Police
Pretty much anything by Stanley Clarke!

Listening just now to Paul Simon's "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes" (from the Graceland 25th Anniversary release).

There's a (previously unreleased) version of Diamonds with much of the orchestration left out. Very nice (fretless) bass line by Bakithi Kumalo.

And there's Paul Chambers on "So What" with Miles Davis...

:thmbsp:

Miles%20Davis%20and%20Paul%20Chambers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom