Sonic Impact/speaker combinations

cubdog

banging through drywall
What do all you Sonic Impact owners use for speakers with the SI? I am currently using Polk Monitor 7's. I have tried a variety of combinations but like this one best so far. I've tried RTR IIIB's, DB Plus 880's, Minnimus 7's etc. Has anyone tried anything with horns or would that combination be to bright? Just curious.

cubdog

i would think the SI T-Amp would work very well with horns. i havent had the opportunity to try the combination out, yet. one day i will make the trip back to Dufur, OR and hear how the the T-Amp sounds on Mike Gibsons Altec Valencia's.

to date i have tried the T-Amp with ADS L-810's and Wharfedale W60-D's. sound quality is excellent with both. to my ear, the W60-D's have never sounded better.

Cubdog- if you're into experimenting- there's a couple of new Tang Band drivers at Parts Express. I haven't seen any reviews yet but they might be interesting-mark
btw- Hi Dingus

i have used mine with a pair of altec 893b's (8" woof, dome tweet) and a pair of Advent Legacies. with the Legacies, the whole shebang sounds better than it has any right to, the whole soundstage being completely out of the box, sounds emerging from points in space, left to right, front to back. amazing....

The Tripath amp, SI and Griffin all worked well with my Sigma Horns. Have been playing around with the Sharp EX-111 for awhile now with excellent results. The Tang-Band W4-1320SB looks to be a drop in replacement for the FE-108E Sigma...perfect for a horn. Not too expensive either.

Ive use my T-amp with wharfedale w40's(much crisper sounding than with any amp Ive tried them with),but the best combo was with the Klipsch RB-35's.The high efficency(96db) of the 35's worked well with the amp,letting me really crank it while not even nearing clipping.
Jimmy

Don't tell the vintage solid state group, but my T-amp with the AR TDS202 sound enhancer, Wharfedale Emerald 97 tower speakers, Luxman 5T10 tuner is my listening rig most of the time.

Altec Sevilles - sounded very good, probably the best so far, kept under 90db though. Also JBL 4628's for a while. L26's and L50's do better with more power.

VintageNut said:
Don't tell the vintage solid state group, but my T-amp with the AR TDS202 sound enhancer, Wharfedale Emerald 97 tower speakers, Luxman 5T10 tuner is my listening rig most of the time.

Don't ya feel a teensy weensy twinge of guilt with all that other high powered stuff sitting there quietly?

Back
Top Bottom