Sonneteer Campion

My Campo's driving Monitor Audio BX2 very good.....cracking up some techno now....!

Such a good match for these speakers.

Thanks Art. I must add there's a new IC (Audio Principe) and QED speaker cables to the rig.

Are you gonna stick with your Campo for a while or are you planning something new soon?

Thanks Art. I must add there's a new IC (Audio Principe) and QED speaker cables to the rig.

Are you gonna stick with your Campo for a while or are you planning something new soon?

No changes in the near future. Just enjoy what I have.

That's great Art.

As for me, I'm a little torn between the Campo and the other Class-D power amp I got.

As for the pure sound, I think I prefer the Campo a little, but the Class D has a better/smaller footprint for my desktop. And I don't mind keeping a very high powered amp somewhere around. I might potentially swap speakers around for my desktop rig and there's always this nagging suspicion that 'those speakers need more power'....! Having said that, if the Campo has no trouble driving the Celestion...hmmm...

BTW, a good indication of the beefy PSU in the Campo is that, even if you turn it off the amp is live for a good 5+ seconds...

Sug or Son

Hmm,
I'm currently considering purchasing a Sonneteer Campion, though I can not hear it before I buy:scratch2:.also currently trialing a second hand Sugden Mystro which I think sounds pretty dam fine, reminds me of an A21a I used to own many years ago..
Other gear is a Rega P9 , and Sonus Faber Toy towers, all Nordost interconnects (current amp a creek 4330)
I've only JUST discovered Sonneteer amplifiers, but I'm reading some pretty nice things about em!
Any opinions , go the Sugden, or go the Sonneteer ?:thmbsp:

Hmm,
I'm currently considering purchasing a Sonneteer Campion, though I can not hear it before I buy:scratch2:.also currently trialing a second hand Sugden Mystro which I think sounds pretty dam fine, reminds me of an A21a I used to own many years ago..
Other gear is a Rega P9 , and Sonus Faber Toy towers, all Nordost interconnects (current amp a creek 4330)
I've only JUST discovered Sonneteer amplifiers, but I'm reading some pretty nice things about em!
Any opinions , go the Sugden, or go the Sonneteer ?:thmbsp:

You're on a Sonneteer thread, what do you think we will say? :thmbsp:

I really love the Class A Sugden amps, not sure about the Mystro. I used to own a Creek 4330. Very cool little amp.

Ha! Yes yes I see now I am on a Sonneteer thread. Actually I'm entirely new to the Audiokarma forum thing and that was the first thing I have written ! So thanks for the reply.
Yes I agree the little Creek 4330 is a cool little amp, I've owned mine for about ten years, other amps have come and gone, yet I've clung to the Creek, there's not bags of power, but that alluring sound... Actually this Sugden Mystro isn't to dissimilar (to the Creek) but Lots more power, clearer, deeper bass, over all very easy non fatiguing sound, the music draws one in..

To me the Sonneteer Campion is one of the most beautiful sounding (meaning musically involving) integrated amps I ever had/tried, regardless of price.

It looks timeless (and it is, since its design is already >20 years old, and still going strong in the Alabaster), has a real quality feel to it with its thick, brushed aluminium fascia, and with the 3 massive aluminium knobs it all seems to be build to last a lifetime.

I'm also a Naim fan and owned every Nait model Naim build between 1983 to 2015. (going from Nait 1 and 2 to Nait XS, Supernait and recently Nait 5si)

Still, when pure musical involvement is a main priority I think the Sonneteer is one of the best. :yes:
Sonically it may be a little bit shy on power and bass (only becomes obvious at higher volume levels or with power hungry speakers), but it makes up with a wonderful spaciouas, fluid and detailed sound.
It combines the PRaT of Naim gear with a tiny hint of warm treble glow, from the best classe-A amps. (in that regards it reminds me of the classic MF A1)

Last edited:
To me the Sonneteer Campion is one of the most beautiful sounding (meaning musically involving) integrated amps I ever had/tried, regardless of price.

It looks timeless (and it is, since its design is already >20 years old, and still going strong in the Alabaster), has a real quality feel to it with its thick, brushed aluminium fascia, and with the 3 massive aluminium knobs it all seems to be build to last a lifetime.

I'm also a Naim fan and owned every Nait model Naim build between 1983 to 2015. (going from Nait 1 and 2 to Nait XS, Supernait and recently Nait 5si)

Still, when pure musical involvement is a main priority I think the Sonneteer is one of the best. :yes:
Sonically it may be a little bit shy on power and bass (only becomes obvious at higher volume levels or with power hungry speakers), but it makes up with a wonderful spaciouas, fluid and detailed sound.
It combines the PRaT of Naim gear with a tiny hint of warm treble glow, from the best classe-A amps. (in that regards it reminds me of the classic MF A1)

Well said, Alco. Very much how I describe the Campion's sound. Then again I would also describe any Sugden amp I've heard similarly.

Uh Oh! Naim + hint of warm treble glow........I may be in trouble:D

Very nice description. As I think I said to Art in the past, good thing there are no Sonneteer dealers in Dallas/Fort Worth area. :yes:

But Mike there are two Sonneteers Orton on the used market now. One is half price. Not mine for sure which they will only sell when I die.

This thread and others from Art K were a big influence in bringing Sonneteer to my attention. After a bit of a slow start, the Campion has grown on me to the point where I can't imagine ever being without it.

I don't know what it is about the sound, but the Campion is a real "grower". It just delivers music in such a lyrical, fresh and graceful way, it makes other stuff sound clumsy to me. It's like comparing a naturally graceful professional dancer to a flat footed novice.

The Byron and Bronte CD players are both fabulous too. I'm so glad they came my way. Such a pity they don't make the CD players any more, and a tragedy the Campion is no longer available.

The Sonneteer products really are a pleasure to behold, a delight to use and a joy to listen to. I have been through an insane amount of hifi in my life. Few have stayed any length of time and none have meant as much to me.

The Orton is still my favorite amp that I have had. Thanks to Art K's recommendations. It is the only one of my 5 integrated amps that I will not part with. It is with a pair of Penaudio Cenya speakers recommended by Haider. The rest of that set up is a LM 215 cdp, Sound of the Wood turntable, Roksan tuner, Bluesound Vault 2. The only thing I could immagine to do to that system would be a pair of Devore speakers. But not anytime soon, if ever.

I have had it all Leben, LM, Naim Up to SN2 level and too many others to list. I’m not going to miss the latest reference system I’m selling off to keep the Campion: Rogue Stereo 100/Primaluna Prologue Premium and I'm not going to miss dealing with tubes.

Thank you Art K and others for teaching me about the Campion. I’ll forgive Art for moving on. Sorry, Sugden didn’t blow me away with the Harbeths like it did with the tube gear.

So I had almost given up on the Campion immediately. Dirty power in my condo and poor cable choices were the issue. The Campion seems very responsive to cables as maybe all components do at this level. Don’t laugh but I’m using a $1300 Sablon Audio Gran Corona to a AQ Niagara to a AQ Tornado. That’s way more then the amp cost retail. My speaker cables too, Tellurium Q Black Ultra. Is it the Campion is worthy? I can makes out plucked notes in an upright bass better, blacker background. Textures in strings.... Doesn’t seem as smeared as the TQ Q Black II. I have A23 on the way as I had already bought it for the tube rig. I have some Avondale cards on the way for a Naim NAC-72 but think that with the NAP-180 and my Harbeth Compact 7-ES3 Speakers, ill still pick the Campion over the Naim based on what you said Baldo. I’m using Chord Chorus Reference interconnects and think I like them better then the older “Spirit” Triode Wire Labs model. Tempted to try the TWL speaker cables and other cables Oscar recommend in previous posts: “Crimson RM Music-Links that I mentioned to Dale awhile ago, and he brought in, as well as the NVA ( Nene Valley Audio ) LS-5 Speaker Cables from the UK“

It’s all about synergy and who knows, maybe the Auditorium 23 speaker cable will kill the TQ Ultra.

I finally feel I can stop and crack open that vinyl I’ve been sitting on.

Rest of system: Mytek Brooklyn+/Sbooster/TWL Digital American, Ultrarendu/LPS-V1.2, heavily modded SL-1200/external MCRU psu/20X2L/SUP-200 SUT, (Salvant never sounded better as it did last night), two REL S/2 subs in stereo (the girlfriend litterly cried when I played Josh Groben over redbook yesterday!)

Adam

Last edited:
In the end I did not find the Sugden a good match in my system. I am running a Belles Aria now which is better a much better match. The biggest problem I had with my Campion and Alabaster was noise. The Belles has a dead silent background and sounds beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom