Sons of Anarchy

Last time I posted here was back in 2012, but I'm back with an update.

Just recently received my SAMCRO collectors blu ray set.
A very impressive set to say the least.

The plastic keep case for the long form booklet housing the discs is very nice.
The case & booklet have nice weight and finish to them not the typical cost savings thin crack & fall apart after a few months of handling and use type. Although I'm sure you could damage the long booklet case if you tend to be rough on things! Even the outside simulated wood case is made of thick cardboard.
The booklet housing the discs was well designed. Doesn't look like it will be an issue with scratching the discs like most of these type holders do.

I'm just up to revisiting season 2 so far.
Next month (Feb.) the 7th and final season gets it's blu ray release and the disc holder booklet in this set has reserve spaces in it for those upcoming discs very cool!

Glad I waited before jumping on the individual season sets like I almost did a few years back.
In reality if you shop around and get the price I did on this set it's much cheaper than trying to buy the individual season sets.

Will be revisiting this show many times over the next few years I'm sure!

Please no Spoilers! I want to finish out season 7 once I get it next month I have yet to see the entire show to the final episode!

Attachments

• 913SoqmJjUL__SL1500_.jpg
    913SoqmJjUL__SL1500_.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Sons-of-Anarchy-9.jpg
    Sons-of-Anarchy-9.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 8
  • sons-of-anarchy-season-6.jpg
    sons-of-anarchy-season-6.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 8
Emma gave me Ron Perlman's autobio for Christmas -
I'd been a fan of Beauty and the Beast and Hellboy,
but I didn't know all of his work,
and the book led me to SAMCRO.

We started binge watching it last week ...
Just started Season 3 last night ...
The storytelling is still pretty good - hopefully it will continue that way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Perlman.jpg
    Perlman.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 80
Emma gave me Ron Perlman's autobio for Christmas -
I'd been a fan of Beauty and the Beast and Hellboy,
but I didn't know all of his work,
and the book led me to SAMCRO.

We started binge watching it last week ...
Just started Season 3 last night ...
The storytelling is still pretty good - hopefully it will continue that way.

attachment.php

Sharks shall be jumped- multiple times!!

I watched the whole series online. I had heard about it before, but only after stumbling across a YouTube video in which some of the cast were in a panel discussion, did I decide that it sounded interesting, so out of curiosity I watched the whole series. I enjoyed it, mostly because I never expect Holyweird stuff to actually be realistic. It's entertainment, not real life.

That said, one of the funniest moments for me was when my wife came in, stared at the screen for a minute, and blurted out...

THAT'S PEGGY BUNDY!

Even funnier was the fact that, despite being a "fan" of "Married With Children" who has a few years of it in boxed sets, I had not made the connection until she said that. :no: :D

The other thing I like about having watched it was that it made me aware of "The White Buffalo." The guy has some good songs!

Please no Spoilers! I want to finish out season 7 once I get it next month I have yet to see the entire show to the final episode!

Never read a TV show thread and NOT expect spoilers - you have to stay away until you have seen the last episode.

With that said - here is your punishment spoiler.

Jax used to be a woman and had a sex change - the club found out - and now he is out. Sorry about that.

We just finished the series last night. I don't know about jumping the shark,
but somewhere in there they went for Tarantino-style violence -
shots to the forehead, neck stabs with blood pumping in all directions, but without Tarantino's humor ...

After a while, such excesses just got tedious - even tho we wanted to find closure,
so after the 2nd episode in Season 7, I found http://sonsofanarchy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy_Wiki -
an online wiki that gave me some story details by episode and we just jumped to
Season 7 Episode 10 and binge watched to the end from there, with some fast forwards in a few places.

The bread and wine (twice) and Jax's pose were excess,
as well as Chiklis saying "Jesus", just in case you didn't get it ...

I think the writers were done with this a few seasons back,
and had to play it through to the end anyway ...

It weren't no Breakin' Bad, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Finally watched the entire series from beginning to end over the last 2+ months.

It was a wild ride to say the least!

Around the middle season it seems the formula was repeated a little to much:

Incident, retaliation, rinse & repeat.
Then no sooner that hands were shaken closing a deal, that deal goes south in seconds due to some unforeseen event.

Even though those elements were the pronounced premise of the show it was overplayed for awhile, but following seasons got it back on track IMO.

There were a few surprises that caught me off guard which is good because I'm the type of person that usually figures out early on what's going on and what's about to happen before it actually does.

Don't really think it 'jumped the shark' in any particular way but there were both high and low moments in the series just like most I've seen.

Oddest things or characters in the series IMO:

Chucky
Venus Van Dam
Homeless woman
Tig's fear of dolls and his strange demeanor at times.
Happy's lust for killing, maiming and other delights.

The best recent scene and surprise was the ambush and assassination of Moses and his team.

Sutter has said he his looking at a possible prequel starting in Vietnam and the start of SOA along with settling in Charming, and possibly a sequel as well.
Not sure about a sequel but I'm all up for a prequel I think that would be interesting.

Yeah.. well I've lived and hung out around a lot of hard core bikers and MC's myself.. and I hate to say it, but I don't remember too often there were daily shootings and bombings in the streets.. Yes.. there have been some, but not daily like the show portrays..

I watched up until last season.. it was a great show, but then it did like a lot of other great new shows.. gets really weird and unbelievable..

Oh.. one other thing.. most MC members run thier own business. The club as a whole doesn't get involved with every single "business" deal that goes down like in the show. There is a reason for this too.. it's called RICO...

Yep this....

I understand the show doesn't reflect MC's in reality in many ways but you have to remember this is for entertainment. So trying to emulate an MC according to reality and daily grind would probably make for a lackluster show, and no reason to watch it.

Kurt Sutter and some of the cast did some pre-filming research and played it out how they saw fit, in ways to not insult any real MC's or members and not get to close to the real deal as for respect.

Although David Labrava 'Happy' was a real life MC member and was also a somewhat consultant for Sutter, they didn't play it to close to the mark.
Which to me was a good thing.

Even when a real MC notified Kurt that SOA lettering was to close to their own in real life Kurt obliged by altering the lettering in the show.

So I would never believe this show to reflect every aspect of a real outlaw MC, I just see it as action-entertainment the like of which have not been on a TV series before at least about an MC IMHO.

Also I would never believe shows like Baretta, Starksy & Hutch, Colombo, etc.. reflected absolute reality for cops & detectives. Just outright exaggeration for entertainment purposes plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom