Sonus Faber Venere 1.5

Well, I was using a Bow Technologies Wazoo and the sound was stellar. I am currently using a Audio Research SP16 Pre with a pioneer M-22 amp (30 WPC class A) and the sound was just bad. It was worse than awful. It was very surprising to me. Other Amps with the SP-16 sounded sine, Sony TA-N55ES, Denon POA-2200, and Kenwood L-07M monoblocks. So, I would definitely say no synergy with the Pioneer.

Thanks for the input! I'm happy with the Emotiva's (especially for the prices paid), but am curious about other options and potential to increase the sound quality of these 1.5's. I may see if I can borrow a friends Krell KAV-300i integrated, it's definitely a respectable amp and will no doubt have a different sound than the Emotiva. Only problem with that Krell is that it's still getting pretty high money for it's age on the used market.

Thanks for the input! I'm happy with the Emotiva's (especially for the prices paid), but am curious about other options and potential to increase the sound quality of these 1.5's. I may see if I can borrow a friends Krell KAV-300i integrated, it's definitely a respectable amp and will no doubt have a different sound than the Emotiva. Only problem with that Krell is that it's still getting pretty high money for it's age on the used market.

Don't assume because something is a big name that A it will be good or B it will work with your speakers. When people are in doubt about which amps to use I usually direct them to see what the speaker maker uses when they demonstrate their products at audio shows. Often they bring a good match or the best match. Frankly I've never heard one I liked - and be sure whatever amplifier you buy on the second hand market has been fixed as there was a recall on a bunch of them.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2009/a...-krell-industries-recalled-due-to-fire-hazard

So picked up a used but restored Krell KAV-300i integrated, and I so far I love it...and so do the Venere's! Synergy, I really think this is a great combo, the Krell seems to really wake up the SF's, almost man handle them with brute force. I'm hearing improvements in all aspects of the music now.

My home office has seen some wonderful standmount speakers rotate in and out of it. Time has come for another well reviewed "product of the year" type of speaker. The Sonus Faber Venere 1.5. Designed in Italy and built in China they have garnered numerous positive reviews. Not quite as many as the venerable KEF LS50 but no speaker in recent times has. Just a partial list of speakers that have come and gone in this tiny 9x10x8 space:

Magnepan MMG & MG 12
Paradigm Studio 20 and Atom Monitors
Infinity Beta 20 & Primus 152
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, 10.1, Evo 2-10 and 80th Anniversary Denton
Quad 11L Classic
Dynaudio Excite X12
B&W 610i and 685 S2
Epos M12i and ELS3
Harbeth P3ESR
KEF LS50
Rega RS1

..and so on. The best of these in this room have been the KEF, Harbeth and Dynaudio speakers.

Now for a new challenger. The Venere 1.5 in basic black with custom stands. Let the games begin.

I know this is old, but strangely enough I found myself in a similar place as you when you were obtaining your Sonus. I’m recovering from spinal surgery and as I was recovering I found a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino for sale. Was one day after surgery so I was not able to arrange for a buyer’s agent before they were sold an hour after discovering.

Went for $350 I believe. My friend has a pair (different model but similar 2 way). They sound fantastic. He has a few Macintosh amps and preamps running everything and I love the way the Sonus sound.

I’m on a quest for a pair now. I’m positive that they are perfect for recovery as they don’t seem fatiguing ever.

Question though if I am not out of line here; what compares with Sonus? B&W 602? Anything else that might be a great fit? I like the natural and non-fatiguing quality of SFs.

I *almost* traded in my Veneres for some Sonnettos II .... but my wallet gave me a nudge of conscience ... I'm just not sure if the Sonnettos would be that different than the Veneres ...

Interesting that many seem to prefer the 1.5's to the 2.0's. I will say that my 1.5's give me plenty of bass. About my only complaint would be that mid-range drop-out --- seems to muffle vocals occasionally.

I am powering them with a Mc 2100.

4 year old thread. Thought I'd resurface it only because I saw these speakers for sale locally at decent price. Compared to newer offerings now - are there better contenders in the bookshelf market? Did the OP move on?

By that I mean the standard reviews of Elac DBR 6.2s, Triangle BR03, Polk R200s, KEF R3s (which seem to get the buzz).

The Venere line was Sonus Faber's entry level speaker line which was made in China and replaced by the current Lumina line which is now made in Italy. I'm not taking anything away from the Veneres, but if it were me, I'd look for an Italian built Sonus Faber, regardless of speaker line or era. Another thing to keep in mind, today's SF speakers do not sound like their offerings from 10 or more years ago. While still maintaining the signature non-fatiguing sound from the past, they now sound faster and a little more revealing. I currently own Sonetto II and Olympica Nova III. Both provide what I want from my current systems and their build quality is second to none.

4 year old thread. Thought I'd resurface it only because I saw these speakers for sale locally at decent price. Compared to newer offerings now - are there better contenders in the bookshelf market? Did the OP move on?

By that I mean the standard reviews of Elac DBR 6.2s, Triangle BR03, Polk R200s, KEF R3s (which seem to get the buzz).
I moved on years ago.

I’ll add having owned the venere and had the Lumina II in my room for a month. The Lumina’s are a lot better in my opinion. I’d take a pair of ls50s over the venere 1.5 any day they were nothing special.

I’ll add having owned the venere and had the Lumina II in my room for a month. The Lumina’s are a lot better in my opinion. I’d take a pair of ls50s over the venere 1.5 any day they were nothing special.

Interesting - Lumina II's are somewhat in my price range, figured they would be higher, am looking into a monitor upgrade. Saw some Quad S2s on sale that also caught my eye. Much to research :)

Back
Top Bottom