Sony Alpha

Nice thread! I will be picking your mind in the next few months. :) I have till April :)

That sony is one sharp looking device! the build quality looks great!

Look I just gotta say it - I don't know that the claim to fame for these cameras is build quality. They aren't bad, but overall my personal feeling is that they aren't quite up to Canikon standards. Sony shines in terms of features and performance.

Do you have a Best Buy near you? If so I would recommend going because you should be able to get hands on with all the latest products from Sony, Nikon, and Canon. And maybe Fuji too - not sure. It really helped me make up my mind when I was camera shopping last year.

Here is a link to the compressed (41MB) and uncompressed (82MB) RAW files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tRpYrtC4uZ0TUuBtGF6W-c2diBHAfzmO

Thanks! Minimal difference for sure. Maybe I see a tad more noise in the shingles on that roof on the compressed version? Maybe?

Look I just gotta say it - I don't know that the claim to fame for these cameras is build quality. They aren't bad, but overall my personal feeling is that they aren't quite up to Canikon standards. Sony shines in terms of features and performance.

Do you have a Best Buy near you? If so I would recommend going because you should be able to get hands on with all the latest products from Sony, Nikon, and Canon. And maybe Fuji too - not sure. It really helped me make up my mind when I was camera shopping last year.

Thanks! Minimal difference for sure. Maybe I see a tad more noise in the shingles on that roof on the compressed version? Maybe?

We do, but I also know onepix would not lead me down a stray road. :) :beerchug:

I've followed his posts for a few years now and I know he goes from audio to photography. As for the building quality, I would want to hold and feel one prior. The looks of it looks good. This is good to know as im looking to get her something of good quality. Let me see if I can pick her mind on some models she wants with out her knowing im planning something LOL.

Maybe you guys can help me pick the best option, I know enough to get myself into trouble. Im going to ask her tonight. Thanks @mhedges

I use an RX100 MkIII for my point and shoot and it's sold me on Sony cameras. They'll be one of the first I'll consider when I look into getting a mirrorless DSLR.

I can see a teeny, teeny bit 300% on the buildings on the other side of the valley. That's why I use compressed.

I use an RX100 MkIII for my point and shoot and it's sold me on Sony cameras. They'll be one of the first I'll consider when I look into getting a mirrorless DSLR.
I was and still considering the Sony RX100 v5 (faster low light lens) and v6 (longer optical zoom). Good stuff.

@mhedges and @jobrewer1983

My experience and growing knowledge applies mainly to the Sony A7RIII and some other Mirrorless, Full Sensor cameras and the Micro 4/3s. Not DSLRs, I left that tech behind. I got mine May of 2018. All my lenses are native Sony or Sony/Zeiss. I have two zooms and two prime lenses. I'm considering two more Sony primes. They have proven themselves. The stuff is expensive and so I do extensive research to find the best performance and prices. I look 1st for performance, then size and followed by cost. That's my criteria. I want the best possible images, without hauling a boat anchor around.

Nikon and Canon only released their Mirrorless, Full Frame cameras in the last couple of months. They only have a handful of native lenses. So they are limited, for now. You can use adaptors for legacy glass and or third party lenses. But most do not perform 100% and they have varying problems with the new cameras. Nikon just this week updated their firmware for AF Tracking. Sony has had it for some time.

I love the build quality of the A7RIII. It's very solid and compact. It takes awhile to get used to the menu system. Then it makes sense. There is a ton of stuff and it's very customizable. This camera is a professional grade tool. And I eventually intend to use it as such. Right now I'm just learning and having lots of fun.

Don't go on my word alone. There's a ton of great online resources, videos, comparisons and tutorials. Use it. It will help you make an informed decision. If you can get some hands on time.

Just like in audio gear, find what works for you and what you like.

Last edited:
@mhedges and @jobrewer1983

My experience and growing knowledge applies mainly to the Sony A7RIII and some other Mirrorless, Full Sensor cameras and the Micro 4/3s. Not DSLRs, I left that tech behind. I got mine May of 2018. All my lenses are native Sony or Sony/Zeiss. I have two zooms and two prime lenses. I'm considering two more Sony primes. They have proven themselves. The stuff is expensive and so I do extensive research to find the best performance and prices. I look 1st for performance, then size and followed by cost. That's my criteria. I want the best possible images, without hauling a boat anchor around.

Nikon and Canon only released their Mirrorless, Full Frame cameras in the last couple of months. They only have a handful of native lenses. So they are limited, for now. You can use adaptors for legacy glass and or third party lenses. But most do not perform 100% and they have varying problems with the new cameras. Nikon just this week updated their firmware for AF Tracking. Sony has had it for some time.

I love the build quality of the A7RIII. It's very solid and compact. It takes awhile to get used to the menu system. Then it makes sense. There is a ton of stuff and it's very customizable. This camera is a professional grade tool. And I eventually intend to use it as such. Right now I'm just learning and having lots of fun.

Don't go on my word alone. There's a ton of great online resources, videos, comparisons and tutorials. Use it. It will help you make an informed decision. If you can get some hands on time.

Just like in audio gear, find what works for you and what you like.

Correction: Nikon only announced that they were adding eye AF. It’s not out yet. And who knows how well it will work. As a Z6 owner I hope it works well!

You are correct in that if you want a complete system without having to use adapters Sony is the only game. The Canon adapter seems to work very well. They were in a bit of a better situation than Nikon for technical reasons. The Nikon adapter works fine on the newer lenses. But it’s still a pain in the ass sometimes. I’ve been using it and it’s not the end of the world but I look forward to not having to deal with it anymore.

Last edited:
Correction: Nikon only announced that they were adding eye AF. It’s not out yet. And who knows how well it will work. As a Z6 owner I hope it works well!

You are correct in that if you want a complete system without having to use adapters Sony is the only game. The Canon adapter seems to work very well. They were in a bit of a better situation than Nikon for technical reasons. The Nikon adapter works fine on the newer lenses. But it’s still a pain in the ass sometimes. I’ve been using it and it’s not the end of the world but I look forward to not having to deal with it anymore.

Thanks for the correction on eye AF. I had thought it was released. Hope it works for Nikon users when it does.

Last edited:
Their DSLR video is still not good but the video on the Z series is excellent. Great image quality, very good AF, and the IBIS works quite well too. I think everyone was surprised.

For serious video shooters Nikon just announced that they will be supporting RAW video recording via an ATOMOS external recorder.

A lot of people and pros switched. Especially from DSLR to the Sony's Mirrorless cameras. There will probably be more shuffling around, since recently Nikon, Canon and others released their full frame, mirrorless cameras. But they have a lot of catching up to do with lens selections. Adaptors work, but the native lenses perform much better.
I've read the same--many pros were tired of the stagnant progress at Nikon and Canon, and switched to Sony.

I am liking what I am seeing with these mirrorless photos, but it's way outside my budget, especially with the lenses I would want. So it's a DSLR for me right now (and I will be upgrading a little before this summer's travels). Your samples look really good here! I'll keep this thread bookmarked.

I've read the same--many pros were tired of the stagnant progress at Nikon and Canon, and switched to Sony.

I am liking what I am seeing with these mirrorless photos, but it's way outside my budget, especially with the lenses I would want. So it's a DSLR for me right now (and I will be upgrading a little before this summer's travels). Your samples look really good here! I'll keep this thread bookmarked.

If you have any questions or would like to see samples. Let me know if I can help. Stuff is pricey. I saved up for two years and it's been well worth it.

If you have any questions or would like to see samples. Let me know if I can help. Stuff is pricey. I saved up for two years and it's been well worth it.
Will do. The specs of the A7RIII are pretty much what I would be after, or even the A7RII. The low light performance of your photos kills what my A33 is capable of. (Which is, not very good at all, unless using a tripod.)

The only body I saw (used) that was remotely in my price range was an A7II, and on top of having to replace all my lenses (I doubt I'd trust A-mount to E-mount adapters), it would still be quite an outlay. Those Zeiss lenses are top quality.

Will do. The specs of the A7RIII are pretty much what I would be after, or even the A7RII. The low light performance of your photos kills what my A33 is capable of. (Which is, not very good at all, unless using a tripod.)

The only body I saw (used) that was remotely in my price range was an A7II, and on top of having to replace all my lenses (I doubt I'd trust A-mount to E-mount adapters), it would still be quite an outlay. Those Zeiss lenses are top quality.

My old Lumix M4/3s would crap out at ISO 400. The A7RIII is getting noisy, but still looks great at ISO 12,800. The Zeiss primes are very sharp. I bought all mine used. The very compact Zeiss 35mm, f/2.8 is fantastic in light, but the f/2.8 struggles in the dark, dark. I may trade it in for the new Sony 24mm, f/1.4 GM. For me it's worth it. My old car still moves.

Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, 1/25 sec @ ISO 12,800. Processed in Lightroom.

sqG1N4ZeU-7qLihpxTLmVgDw3cb36m8nvXc0yIgUR6tnX4jhuQ1tTnKdNHUwbJHT-42gHd-U3HFGpScXIwp7zRtA4TKJrvZU-Y89c3V4bGqC6Fkt-3lhnEr93iFqWbngJo4_t6dnhcm-ZAaPRrSI2d_qw4JCj6eG2z8SS_D_krji1BfxN34PiM-QylBaabb51nFD1c1eQWVi1OPLDHbm95RNWu1q4zOuw4apXQ4KPfnlnqnyb_5DahTGTx34LiCk88edl3jsb0c3-UrjLJ1VjjmM4YI5cIBxnWjxExDyLkdvT0oVBve8CtoVLFyHTLgAHigQa5EmwZKcR4nEa2BbDeZwN4jOnMbjYD4Uea_ttxrMgITEsKLgSKCwyGmE5x49OnQ3tOAxMTdvztutse5YHR74JPVpIx5rkZppc9LRl42pbffg9b-JI-p-2_CUGhhoaPqCCv9SWEzpkSuY7vCuWQMGudcnmuEckQPV2iaXvtShoUFzQQfxTO1pz7msfWdENfqMP55He2zwqtHxjIZODO4a6h6HQecIf_7VE_6-yzKnj8dKYBBAbF7b7oknz0OY_7NPSx3RzeAuSTPbiYBD_8gflhSvMevopv7wtK66gQuHHOn7zhDeDz3X_zIEmUtTzAW4rnQpD1f2x2qPjbxOVQQa=w1250-h834-no

Last edited:
I also see there is an A7000 in the works.

The A6400 isn't full frame, but neither is my A33 DSLR. I sort of wanted to go to a full frame, but the A6400 has a lot of what I'm looking for otherwise. I use the articulating screen on my A33 occasionally so I would hate to lose that--the A6400 has it. Plus I could shoot 4K video. Since I have a 4K TV now, at least I would have a way to watch it in full resolution.

I just wish I could use my old A-mount lenses on the mirrorless. (I have several Maxxum lenses that I really like using.) There are adapters, but I don't think they would really do me any favors either.

There an adapter Sony offers which preserves most of the lens features, and will work with the Maxxum lenses. It is the LAEA4.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008166-REG/sony_laea4_a_mount_to_e_mount_lens.html

Kind of clumsy and a bit expensive ($350-ish) but it seems to be well-reviewed. Seeing that I have five lenses I would likely have to replace if I went to the mirrorless, $350 is still less than replacing all of them, at least right away. It's not ideal, but at least I could upgrade the camera body first, then work on the lenses one by one as time goes on.

That A6400 is probably close to the cost of a used A77-II DSLR, so I would have to decide either way. I would love to take a new one to AXPONA this year but it isn't in the budget that soon.

I was a little surprised at the A6400 announcement. Sony seems even more all-in on full frame than Canikon. Their crop sensor lens selection is really not great. And if you are paying the $$ for full frame lenses then why skimp on a crop body?

The full-frames are way beyond my budget, so I can understand the APS-C mirrorless cameras being made for those who can't spend so much. They have a couple other APS-C mirrorless E-mount cameras, I think.

Back
Top Bottom