Sony Alpha

Is image stabilization done in-camera like with the A-mount DSLRs? Or has Sony moved it to the lenses in these mirrorless cameras?

Most of the APS-C Sony's don't have it in body. I think only the A6500 does.

Looks like the A6400 is getting rave reviews due to it's AF performance. It will be interesting to see if the A7 series AF performs similarly once they get the firmware updates.

Last edited:
Most of the APS-C Sony's don't have it in body. I think only the A6500 does.
I'm not sure if it makes much difference in some of my photos, but I got used to it being in the camera body, especially since I use lenses made prior to digital cameras being available. The DSLRs still have it in the body (and in the A33, it is somewhat flawed--it overheats easily), so if/when I decide, that may end up deciding which body I go with.

Is image stabilization done in-camera like with the A-mount DSLRs? Or has Sony moved it to the lenses in these mirrorless cameras?

I think most of the newer A7s have in body stabilizations as well as some of the lenses. Along with the high ISO, you can get some nice images hand held, using really low shutter speeds.

1st attempt at astrophotography.
A7RIII. 16-35mm, f/2.8.
16mm, ISO 800 at 25 seconds
Processed in Lightroom

4Se0dw0qg_n_Hs4kvJ18EASpUakdGCI3yGxVqoC2fbpFw-64eUnFmWOrbYU9Ld3SxSKyNZoqLC1V0e53gjq89qQCYJwk6Kal17ov9tZIoa0MgvtbY_uCRXz5vDoKAy-RCJ7faSOSbGpYCP-1R8Z1ZQxqBKc5t65goDtC5edXKCXXi2b-N5PpsThc5gZNu3VGDpmIkmF_pP3Yaowv6JLTgQbIgLmJU4o4WWcdiJUTU5skAdrBlMG7d-NW5yiEZ3HUyRYagkaWziImouA7bZMPhvTRxxoaEPTTtXo6L5x3xwPo_VHsBD9tW_EvNqqFWyYxtrTAOxgZxmNivaiTiDGuxqei0jNh4Xcoiz6g0rD6XmIOlWaGPF9EPhivt2_lP42NVPk123ysu__yNx2-Cq3NLz-MLwei5HX_7g2YeB1LYlTXQ5IdyUyzX9Wybj3B-QETjOrfNS_H3sn3VpGRqg-OmxGWKMVDxVfEobrP3Ga4eUF26Ui8xdmsSMbSC2GMV85BmA8YyMq89Xh_VbSaKGtonhyccnaLUpDMWP3Q2jWHmJGvs0OY4wSV54fU1SCt6hNFw7pOStZIGufLMl-YulnuN0j9uhMi5SyVLtmqsqt8RAm_uzKJ1sAi4uCsKP3oeSrD7EgRIK_FUB7VrKBdoRNk5sjS=w1250-h834-no

Last edited:
It's not quite in focus. It's tricky shooting birds close up with that lens. I have to get close with out them flying off.
I was chasing a hummingbird back in 2017, so I totally get it. The best shot I was able to get was still a little blurry, and got a little worse because I had to crop it. I was actually trying to catch the little guy at rest, and they don't stay still for very long.

I cheated last year and put a hummingbird feeder up in the back yard. It took a while before it got any use but once they discovered it there was almost always a hummingbird or two around. I would just stand around outside and stalk them. They would fly up to me and squawk. It was pretty funny. I did eventually get some decent shots, using a 70-300 on a crop sensor camera.

I had one at my house on the other side of town for a couple of years and never had one visit. Yet I always had petunias around the lot. I had them in half-containers lining the deck, and in hanging baskets out front. I also had flowering bushes, fuschia colored (they are attracted to reddish hues). They would visit all those but not the feeder, despite it being a foot or so away from the flowers! :D Instead, the yellowjackets used to drain the feeder, so I quit using it.

Hopefully with the next move we make, I'll be further away from a metro area and have room for an actual hummingbird/butterfly garden. :)

Still, @onepixel, that is a much cleaner photo than what I get out of my DSLR.

Very nice! Where were you at with ISO and exposure for this shot?
Being a novice I tried combinations of 15-25 seconds and ISO 1000-10,000.

This image was 15 sec. at ISO 6400. Any longer on the exposure, I started getting star trails.

I updated the firmware. Now it has Eye Auto Focus... for animals.

Eye AF tracks people eyes. The person could be walking, jumping, turning around, ducking behind stuff and it would constantly track and or reacquire the eye and focus. Perfect, always in focus portraits. Now it does it for animals. lol, cool stuff. Wild life photography just go super easy.

Being a novice I tried combinations of 15-25 seconds and ISO 1000-10,000.

This image was 15 sec. at ISO 6400. Any longer on the exposure, I started getting star trails.

That seems pretty reasonable. What focal length and aperture?

Back
Top Bottom