Sony APM-690 Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by 62sunbeam, Jan 28, 2017.

1. 62sunbeam

62sunbeam Raconteur Subscriber

the APM-690s are not the desireable square driver Sonys are they?

Thanks

Eric

2. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

No, those are just single coil woofs, and kind of cheap at that. Look for 77/77W.

3. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Well-Known Member

I found these at a thrift store awhile ago, one had no output at mids, which I traced to crossover (very simple, 2 caps), one of the caps blew, but I destroyed the whole cup removing it from the cabinet. Finally decided to repair them out of boredom, and hooked them up to my speaker selector to compare against my other 2 sets (ADS L710, Polk SDA-2B).

Anyway, as cheaply built as these were (simple crossover, 1 sheet of carpet padding only behind large woofer, thin hollow particle board cabinet), they actually sound surprisingly nice. Very warm, and laid back, but lacking a lot of detail in the highs (which honestly, I probably wouldn't have realized without switching back and forth between the two others). Compared to the L710, they lose across the board, except they've got noticeably more low end (if a bit loose). The polk sda-2b are also obviously better in every way, but I find the Sony more enjoyable to listen to over long periods.

4. Johnny_Law

Johnny_Law AK Member Subscriber

I had similar APMs and also found them surprisingly nice to listen to as well.