Sony APM-690 Question

No, those are just single coil woofs, and kind of cheap at that. Look for 77/77W.

I found these at a thrift store awhile ago, one had no output at mids, which I traced to crossover (very simple, 2 caps), one of the caps blew, but I destroyed the whole cup removing it from the cabinet. Finally decided to repair them out of boredom, and hooked them up to my speaker selector to compare against my other 2 sets (ADS L710, Polk SDA-2B).

Anyway, as cheaply built as these were (simple crossover, 1 sheet of carpet padding only behind large woofer, thin hollow particle board cabinet), they actually sound surprisingly nice. Very warm, and laid back, but lacking a lot of detail in the highs (which honestly, I probably wouldn't have realized without switching back and forth between the two others). Compared to the L710, they lose across the board, except they've got noticeably more low end (if a bit loose). The polk sda-2b are also obviously better in every way, but I find the Sony more enjoyable to listen to over long periods.

Back
Top Bottom