Sony CDP-311 Review

mg196

Johnny Thunders - LAMF
I have been using this CDP for a while now and it has served me well. I don't know the year it was marketed, but I am guessing it is an early 90's middle-of-the-line unit.

In addition to "regular" CD's, it plays DualDiscs and CD-R's without a problem. It is not overly sensitive to surface scratches on CD's.

It sounds great when paired w/ my KA-7100! Then again, a Fisher-Price cassette player would sound good when paired w/ a KA-7100!! The remote works from all the way across the room, which is always a plus.

This doesnt sound as wonderful as my Yammie CD-30, but while that waits for a small soldering job, the CDP-311 fills in quite nicely. The sound, though not necessarily warm, is not too bright for my taste.

The tray/loading mechanism works flawlessly and for a 10+ year old unit, that is definitely a good sign.

If you can pick one of these up for less than $20, do it. Because it can handle CD-R's, it is perfect for your kid's room or a dorm room. It's always nice to know that your kid can have a great sounding unit that costs next to nothing.

Oh, I almost forgot, it has an earphone jack with volume dial. A handy little bonus!

A pic from ePay:

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had one of these back when they were new. Not bad sounding at all. I have a set of Sony MDR-V7 headphones from the same era. They sounded pretty good plugged into this player as well. Not a bad sounding headphone preamp section.

Back
Top Bottom