Sony CDP-557ESD issues

That's just ridiculously rude, welcome to the board; I'm sorry you bought a lemon (not really since the website name explains it all).
you have 5.562 messages does not mean you can just give people advises that you have no idea of like just "plug it in the wall " give me a brake!!

More easy stuff. Sony CDP's have modular construction. Almost all major components and boards use plastic connectors. It is possible one of the connectors has lost contact or worked lose. While this is unlikely, it is worth checking. Sometimes solder joints to the connectors go dry. Since there is no digital output, that should give you a clue where to look. You can manipulate the connectors while the unit is playing to see if the signal passes. I'm no tech but I've fixed an amp and a nice DAC using this "home" technique". Of course, be careful inside any electronic device.

Thanks for your post!
yes that is what i am planing to do try to troubleshoot it my self with a magnifying glass looking for cracked solder joints dried up one and such,... .

On the optical out i do have a light coming through so i am not sure why there is no signal...

Thanks for your post!
yes that is what i am planing to do try to troubleshoot it my self with a magnifying glass looking for cracked solder joints dried up one and such,... .

On the optical out i do have a light coming through so i am not sure why there is no signal...
if digital works it narrows it down a bit . i would maybe check d/a converter circuit .

You can find the service manual @ elektrotanya. Waizt until "processing" disappears and "download" appears.

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_cdp-557esd_707esd_sm.pdf/download.html

I assume the voltage circuit for D/A conversion is seperated from the rest, Maybe it is dead (but the enlighted
optical lout hints that there is power)

About voltage: 90% of the circuits run on voltage regulators, so for a short time, an overload shoulkd do no harm.
BUT: In old players the filaments for the display get the voltage directly from the transformer. They could get blown...

You can find the service manual @ elektrotanya. Waizt until "processing" disappears and "download" appears.

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_cdp-557esd_707esd_sm.pdf/download.html

I assume the voltage circuit for D/A conversion is seperated from the rest, Maybe it is dead (but the enlighted
optical lout hints that there is power)

About voltage: 90% of the circuits run on voltage regulators, so for a short time, an overload shoulkd do no harm.
BUT: In old players the filaments for the display get the voltage directly from the transformer. They could get blown...
i am using a transformer since day one so it should be fine....
thanks

Hello

After a long long time I just had time today to take of the back cover of the CD player and i was inspecting the unit and i find a loose connector in the back "see picture" it was not visible from the top....

I think they have changed the belt on this because the pulley in the groove has some dark spots from the old belt so i figured they maybe forgat to plug in the connector!
i was not able to see from the top i needed to take of the bottom cover

Anyhow the player is working fine through the headphone ,
i just tested out with that for now ...

What i noticed was the two power transistors " NEC C2275 P74S " "see pictures" got kind of hot i am not sure because i was using the headphone or it is just normal? ? Any idea?
It has copper heat sinks .

I will try out tomorrow if i connect it to the amplifier will the transistors get hot .

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Inked20191209_181104_LI.jpg
    Inked20191209_181104_LI.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Inked20191209_191016_LI.jpg
    Inked20191209_191016_LI.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191209_191038_HDR.jpg
    20191209_191038_HDR.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
Back