Sony CDP-690 CD Player

The Shocker

I just nabbed a Sony CPD-690 CD Player from Goodwill for $7.30. Plugged it in, and, unfortunately there is an issue. The CD tray won't stay closed. Soon as I gave it power, the tray opens. When I close the tray, it stays closed for a few seconds and opens right back up. Putting in a CD does the exact same thing.

Anyone ever see this problem?

I would say the leaf switches on the tray are dirty. They tell the board when the tray is closed and are inside the unit on the CD transport. Not that hard a repair to do.

I'm thinking it's the belt. The belt is pretty loose. The tray closes all the way, and I think the motor can't pull the laser up to grab the disc. Trying to find a new belt now.

D/A converter:
SONY CDP-690 (Old ver.)
2 x AD1860N - CXD2551P
KSS-240A
SONY CDP-690 (New ver.)
1 x CXD2552Q - CXD2551P
KSS-210A

This one has a sticker on the front that says "Dual 16-bit DACs"

Here is pic of the tray:

G03UdmA.jpg

Is there some reason you would want dual DACs?

Got the new belt in the mail today. Popped it in, and the thing fired right up and played a CD.

$7.30 for the CD player and $6.95 for the belt. I got a CD player for $20.55 and 15 minutes of my time. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Thank you!

I think I really made out well with this purchase. This thing has dual DACs. Trying to figure out what the point is to dual DACs.

Thank you!

I think I really made out well with this purchase. This thing has dual DACs. Trying to figure out what the point is to dual DACs.
It means you have separate DACs for the left and right channels. Since the parts can only run so fast, it means you can get higher oversampling rates and therefore lower noise out of the same parts compared to if you just used one for both channels.

It means you have separate DACs for the left and right channels. Since the parts can only run so fast, it means you can get higher oversampling rates and therefore lower noise out of the same parts compared to if you just used one for both channels.
I guess that was important in DACs back then?

I'm having a heck of a time finding the user manual for this CD player. Google is not turning up a PDF anywhere. I'm trying to find the output impedance of the headphone jack on this thing.

Got the new belt in the mail today. Popped it in, and the thing fired right up and played a CD.

$7.30 for the CD player and $6.95 for the belt. I got a CD player for $20.55 and 15 minutes of my time. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

How did you get to the original belt to "pop it in"? Looks like a tight space to get to.
Did you have to remove the whole tray assembly, or can you change out the belt with the tray in the open or closed position?

How did you get to the original belt to "pop it in"? Looks like a tight space to get to.
Did you have to remove the whole tray assembly, or can you change out the belt with the tray in the open or closed position?
Nothing like replying 9 months later!

At this point, I don't remember how I got it in. But if I pulled it off, it could not have been that hard. I remember it taking around 10 minutes to do.

Hey shocker, I’ve got the same model CD player, and it’s weakness is that belt behind front panel, in the transport assembly. 7 screws to remove, then the idler bracket has to come off the top. The tray lifts up and there’s the belt. This mechanism uses rotating force after tray closes, to move laser assembly up with spindle to clamp disc. This movement requires the most torque from motor and the belt gets pulled on harder. Once the belt stretches just enough, it can’t transmit the torque needed to move the laser up to clamp disc. I’m replacing mine, and noticed that the entire mechanism/gears are dry. I’m going to apply a coating of dry lube to the gears before re-assembly to see if that helps alleviate the torque transfer. That should take a lot of the load off the belt during clamping movement. We shall see.

Hey shocker, I’ve got the same model CD player, and it’s weakness is that belt behind front panel, in the transport assembly. 7 screws to remove, then the idler bracket has to come off the top. The tray lifts up and there’s the belt. This mechanism uses rotating force after tray closes, to move laser assembly up with spindle to clamp disc. This movement requires the most torque from motor and the belt gets pulled on harder. Once the belt stretches just enough, it can’t transmit the torque needed to move the laser up to clamp disc. I’m replacing mine, and noticed that the entire mechanism/gears are dry. I’m going to apply a coating of dry lube to the gears before re-assembly to see if that helps alleviate the torque transfer. That should take a lot of the load off the belt during clamping movement. We shall see.

I didn't lubricate anything. Maybe I should fix that. Thanks for the tip!

Hello, I bought the same model, but the CD doesn't want to play. It starts and after 30 sec stops working..
Is it the laser?
Is it worth fixing it?
It is very clean, no scratches but unfortunately doesn't help me in this stage.

Attachments

• 20211023_173328.jpg
    20211023_173328.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211023_173304.jpg
    20211023_173304.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom