Sony CDP-X55ES no optical out...

zxryder93

I picked up one of these, this seems to be the only functional issue. Sounds fantastic over analog out and headphones but no red light from the optical out. I'm hoping it's a fairly simple issue, maybe optical board, since everything else works. Any advice on what to check would be appreciated.

Also, I'm wondering the best way to lubricate the drive. What would be the best kind of oil/grease and where would I apply it? Checked the service manual and didn't find anything. Drawer works fine but seems like maybe it should be quieter as it slides in and out. Thanks a lot for any input!

i think you can only use optical or analog not both
you also lose some functions if using optical

I took a look at the small optical board with the Toslink jack, jack was loose. Three pins on it, the solder had broken off the two outer pins and they were loose, but the center pin had broken off inside the connector. Ordered a replacement "Toslink transmitter module" (the optical jack). Original is a Sharp part, couldn't find the exact one, but got another with similar specs. Hopefully that will do it.

New optical jack did the trick, full function now. Someone had also replaced the ceramic foot pads with cheap plastic ones (two of them attached with wood screws!), couldn't live with that. Hard to find original ceramic ones but I got some very heavy aluminum ones from a Sony amp. They seem to fit well with this beast.

Back
Top Bottom