Sony CDP-X55ES Pics

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by SoCal Sam, Jan 8, 2008.

1. shogo33

shogo33 New Member

I've just inherited this player from a relative and was wandering if this player be modded to keep up with the current crop of players? This player would make an excellent transport but not sure about the old D/A's, caps etc since it was built back in the early 90's.

I guess another way to do it is to just use the optical out into an external dac?

cheers

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dj_AmTraX

dj_AmTraX Super Member

They sure don't make them the same anymore.

3. Stoffie

Stoffie Sony afficionado

Sure don't. Was messing in the insides of my CDP-X777ES to dust and clean a bit just a few days ago. Keeps amazing me with its build quality, and the massive overengineering on everything. Power supply section in that thing wouldn't look bad in any amp actually...

Shogo: I still enjoy the sound of my x777es and x555es without feeling the need for an external dac, but indeed the way to do it is feed the optical out into an external dac.

4. Satch

Satch Audiotinkerer

I've had the Sony CDP-X559ES, which looks a lot like the X55ES which started this thread:

[​IMG]

I've used it with a PS Audio dac, but the difference was very, very small. So the Sony is pretty good on it's own.

5. thornett

thornett New Member

Is there away to splice a coaxial jack in parallel with the optical output Toslink on the X55ES?
    Have the Sony ES preamp TA-E77ESD and would like to hook the two together using the digital inputs but sadly they don't match. The preamp is coaxial input.
    Have looked at the small boxes one can get off eBay etc but just having a coaxial out the back of the cd player seems nicer
    Have considered using the board from the eBay Toslink/Coaxial converters and integrating it into the cd player using the players power source and extending the output coaxial side to the cd players chassis
    thanks
    Keith
    Nova Scotia

Attached Files:

6. thornett

thornett New Member

solution

Found a very easy way to deal with the issue from speaking with Lukasz of LampizatOr
    Since there's already is a Toslink output jack that signal is the same as used by a coaxial output S/PDIF so you can take the signal coming into the Toslink and splice a new connection to a newly mounted coaxial jack.
    There will be three wires coming into the Toslink output jack. The ground wire a 5volt power supply and the S/PDIF wire . You splice into the S/PDIF wire.
    You also need to add two resistors and a capacitor. Made a drawing to show how it can be done.
    Regards Keith Haill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015

Please register to disable this ad.

7. zxryder93

zxryder93 New Member

Old thread but I have both of these units and want to add coax out to the X55ES. What I am wondering is if both the optical and coax function when doing this, or is the coax out replacing the optical? I've ordered the components already but don't want to screw anything up when I install them...

8. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Well-Known Member

It would be terrific if there could be an answer to this question (replacement lasers for Sony ES cd players). I have a perfect condition X7ES that has a worn out laser (along with a failing digital display). Luckily, I found another X7 which I use daily. I would love to repair the original X7 and put it back in service. In the meantime, it just sits on a shelf in the basement, where it has been for years.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Super Member

I have the Sony CDP AS20 ES, so I checked it out, but it is nothing like that.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 10.49.21 PM.png

10. zxryder93

zxryder93 New Member

I noticed the original question about this asks how to do this in parallel, so I assume that means both will work. (I suppose getting into specifics about a mod took this thread off topic, but I will post pics after I do this and get it on track!)