Sony CDP-X707ES/X303ES

Duane

AK Member
Subscriber
Looking for anyone with personal exposure to either of these CD players to pass along their impressions of their sound quality.I consider myself more of a mid-fi type and while I'm using a Sony DVD player for everything right now,mainly for convenience,I've given some thought to moving back to a standalone cd player.

Bar the SCD-1/SCD-777ES, the X707ES is Sony's best CD player ever - I you have an opportunity to get your hands on one, don't hesitate one single second - your ears will thank you :)

I'll keep an eye out for you bird. I've been on an intense search at the thrifts for a high quality CDP. Tomorrow I'll do my rounds once again.

Duane that Sony is a fine choice but not for $800. If you'd like the same sort of qualities ( separate trannies for each channel, dual digital outs etc) then you can score a Pioneer DV-09 for roughly half that $800 price tag. It's also a 40lb, copper chassised, beast of a player. FYI the Orion used value of that Sony is only $580 retail so $800 asking price might be a bit optimistic.

Mike

That auction is what prompted my asking about it.Yes,it was overpriced,IMO, and it didn't sell.Thanks for all of your replies.Will continue the hunt.

Generally speaking, folks looking at eBay at looking for a 'deal'. Based on selling prices on Audiogon, the $800 for a CDP-X707ES is not out-of-line (that said, my brother paid $200 for his from a kid in a high-end audio shop who turned up his nose at a "Sony"), with the -X777ES going for a similar number and SCD models for even more. Orion is not the bible. Just a guideline. And dual transformers, etc., are not the only things one is looking for in a CDP. Sound quality must be comparable to cost, IMHO. And the Sony's generally are regarded as the best in this aspect. But....it is your money and your ears. So get what sounds good to you.

Back
Top Bottom