Sony DVP-S3000 CD/DVD Player

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by illini, May 5, 2018.

1. illini

illini The Past is Alive

I just bought this today for cheap. Here are my observations/experiences so far:

0. Came with a remote (RMT-D100U) with a flip cover that exposes even more awesome controls.
    1. The tray opens slower that usual for disc players. 3" disc compatible.
    2. I had to cover the optical output with electrical tape because the laser was distracting.
    3. Unit takes up a ridiculous amount of space and weighs more than expected.
    4. Certification sticker is circa 1997. Made in Japan.
    5. Promo text on unit includes "DUAL DISCRETE OPTICAL PICK-UP", "10bit VIDEO D/A CONVERTER", ADVANCED PULSE D/A CONVERTER".
    6. The display has an INDEX field which I hope to use with my old Rush 2112 CD.
    7. There are two audio outputs, 1/L and 2/R.

I'm still researching this one. I bought it for the lulz but it seems to have potential.

guiller likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

How do you like its performance regarding sound quality?

illini likes this.
  3. simm

simm Member

I had one of these briefly in the early days of DVD. It was a solid performer and if I remember correctly only a slight step down from the Sony 7000. Cosmetics are definitely different with no drop down front panel door.

illini likes this.
  4. illini

illini The Past is Alive

I did some A/B on headphones playing Led Zeppelin II. Compared to the Nakamichi MB-4S, the only difference I hear is that it has a lower output volume.

guiller likes this.
  5. illini

illini The Past is Alive

I'm not sure mine can play DVDs. I tried playing a dvd-r and a silver dvd, but the unit seemed to get lost and had no audio output, but we don't have a TV here so I'll investigate this possible issue later.