Sony DVP-S7700

I've never heard that particular player, but my 9000es does sound just as good as my Denon preamp.

It's the best sounding player I've ever had hands down.

It should be very good. I own the DVP-S7000. These units retailed for over $1,000 new.

They use separate laser for cd playback.

I’m also happy with my S7000 (immediate predecessor to the S7700). As slow_jazz notes, if you find one that’s been used mostly for movies, the audio laser should be good for years.

I've owned several 7000s and now use a 7700 as the DVD/CD player in my main system (Yamaha B-2, Sony TA-2000F, and Audio Physics Tempo); the CD sound is exceptional (as mentioned above uses separate lasers for DVD and CD playback). I've been so happy with the CD sound I've never used a dedicated CD player in my main system. The problem is that most people who bought them used them mostly for DVD play, thus that laser usually gets wonky first (happened in several 7000s).

I hear nothing but positive things about the 7700 (I have the old 7000); runs like a champ after over 20 years.

The 7700 is a slightly newer version of the 7000. Looks much the same, only trouble is they're both well into their second decades. All lasers die eventually. It's hard to go wrong with almost any Sony audio product starting with a 7.

The Sony CDP-508ESD CD player I was using in my office system started blipping sound /no sound. I remembered talking in this thread about using the 7000 as a main CD player. Eureka! I have several 7000's stored whose video is compromised in some way. Pulled one out and plugged it into my system and I have a great sounding CD player.

I'd suggest anyone seeking a great, cheap CD player pick one up and plug it into your system, audio only. Just checked eBay and there are oodles of them available, most for between $50/$100. This is a great value for a very good CD player. Remember it was a $1000+ unit 15 years ago. Great build quality

OK... well :)

Anyhow , I'm picking one up Thursday locally. If its is as represented by owner. Lady said her deceased husband bought it new 'about 15 to 20 years ago.' It was boxed away when they got a Blu-ray player

She cant remember ever playing CDs on it, just DVDs

The original box , manual and remote comes with it

Got one for CD duty. It's decently good. Best part is the logic is similar to a regular CDP. Some DVD players do not handle CD's well and are quirky in operation.

Thanks Sam

My Rotel rcd-970bx finally went Kaput... Used it mainly as a transport

Hope this Sony works out

I think you will like it. It is typical sounding for a Sony, on the forward side and a little bright. It's good enough that I am thinking about the 9000ES, which has gotten good reviews here. If the members like it, I'm in.

Looks new... I'm impressed with the stock DAC SQ considering the age

May hookup with an external DAC later tonight, then again, maybe not :)

I'd place the DVP-S7700 in the high-end BPC category. It's good enough to listen all day without being annoyed by the shortcomings of the typical single chip player. Play a couple of years, burn out the laser, and send to the e-cycler. That's (little) money well spent.

Just thought I'd chime in here. I've been using a 7700 in my garage system for years . It was paired with an old denon reciever. I always thought it sounded way better then it should. I picked it up for $10 at the goodwill.
Tonight I brought it in to compare against my oppo DVD player that's been pulling CD duty for the last 3 or 4 years. I've been thinking of buying a new cd player this year. I play through a schiit bitfrost uber dac. I have to say that this player is a definate badass! I think I should have used the oppo in the garage.

My daughter and I listened to cds for like 7 hrs straight. Everything from monster magnet to Norah Jones. SRV to Oliver Nelson. We were having so much fun in fact that I pulled out my decware zsla1 buffer to use in between the bitfrost and my Aric audio preamp. I am now second guessing my need for a new CD player.

Bought one for cheap, sounded good liked it, excellent build quality. Then put new modern op amps, opa627,excellent definition,soundstage. Hearing things i didn't know were on my cds. Going to try a few more, muse2,ad825, and see what i like best. Loving the opa 627 right now. Will try switching newer caps on audio board next.

Last edited:
full_interior.jpg

Update: Modding this player is incredibly easy. The audio board is seperate and comes out with a few screws. I upgraded the capasitors to either nichion muse, or elna similac 2 (the older similacs are not as clean sounding)in the analog path.. This made a huge difference in sound quality, and lowered noise floor dramatically. I am still deciding between the opa 627 op amps and jrc muses02. Both sound incredible. Huge soundstage, micro and macro details and dynamics, you wouldn't believe this is the same player. Elnas are known for a 100 hr break in to fully settle, I'll make my final decision on op amp then. Right now leaning toward Muses02. This player is incredible with a little effort. The capasitor upgrade is huge, and makes a incredible difference. I highly recommend. Tried dozens of op amps, save your time and money opa627 or muses02 have the best sound quality.

I have a marantz cd6006, my new 7700 now outshines it quieter,detailed, space soundstage . Still goining to put a iec power socket and 14 guage wire between power board and iec. wireworld stratus power cord.. See what happens next!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom