Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD player - worth pursuing?

Mingo

stranger in a strange land
Subscriber
There is a Sony DVP-S9000ES sacd player available locally. Worth quite a bit years ago, but how do they compare with some of the more recent low -price offerings from Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha and others? Asking price is $70.

I'd take it over any of the new low end stuff out there. Especially for 70.00.

At that price it has probably been snatched up already..These will sell for several times more than the asking price..

Run!! Don't walk..

Matt.........tubeornotube

If I remember correctly, not only were those top of the line in performance but the build was head and shoulders above the crowd as well. Don't these the have copper clad chassis? As a matter of fact, subsequent models were never as nice in the build quality sense. The number crunchers won out on models after that. At $70 it's a no brainer. If you don't like it you can sell it and make a profit.

I use the DVP-NS999ES a later model after the DVP-S9000 and it is one of the best bargains out there for digital media. Right now on Audiogon there are 2 for less than $100! These retailed for $1,200 when new! Can't beat it for the price.

Here's one of the DVP-NS999ES with full Modwright modifications: HERE (no affiliation). I would love spend some time with that player!

How good is the DVP-S9000ES for CD audio? I see 9000's in my travels from time to time, often for less than $100.

I have never heard one personally, but I know the 999ES which is in the next generation is excellent. I bet for CD playback the DVP-S9000ES is no less excellent.

Well, I was too late...perhaps someone caught wind of this thread. If I see another one for sale, I'll know to act quickly.

I had the 999. It was an excellent player, however, I let it go because it did not play DVD-A. Not sure if this matters to you. I wound up getting an Integra player and an Oppo.

I had the 999. It was an excellent player, however, I let it go because it did not play DVD-A. Not sure if this matters to you. I wound up getting an Integra player and an Oppo.

Mine plays DVD Audio media just fine. Was yours defective?

Are you sure it plays DVD-A? I don't know of any Sony player that plays it because the SACD is Sony's format and DVD-A is their competition. When I say it's a DVD-A, it's a music only disc, and not the audio portion of a DVD-Video disc.

Are you sure it plays DVD-A? I don't know of any Sony player that plays it because the SACD is Sony's format and DVD-A is their competition. When I say it's a DVD-A, it's a music only disc, and not the audio portion of a DVD-Video disc.

Well all I know is that have ONE DVD Audio/ Video disc: Simple Minds, New Gold Dream and it plays excellently. That's my only reference point though.

I just read the owner's manual and your right! It lists DVD Audio discs as media it can't play. So I guess because my Simple Minds disc is DVD Audio/ Video it plays. Interesting, I do not look for DVD Audio discs and just happened to have mistakenly bought this Simple Minds DVDAV and it worked on my 999 so I kept it and subsequently, assumed DVDA,s worked. Glad I learned this!

sorry to revive an old thread, but I had a question on the SACD portion of this player, is it only 2 channel?? I thought the whole reason for SACD was 5.1 sound?

Back
Top Bottom