Sony ES CD Tray Issue

Karmices

AK Super Member
Subscriber
I have a late 80's or early 90's ES Sony CD player, I think a C8ESD model off the top of my head. I noticed lately I'm having an issue with the CD tray. When I hit the open button on the unit, the tray comes out and will 'disc skip' to any of the 5 spots I want. After loading CD's, I then hit the close button and it will close half way, then open and rotate to the left 2 discs then back to the right 2 discs then back to the left 2 discs and to the right 2 discs then stop. I will then hit close again and it will close half way, open and repeat the above. The 3rd time I hit close it will close and play as it should. Is there a sensor of the door (like a garage door sensor) that is maybe dirty or misaligned and causing this or?

There's a sliding spring return drawer closed switch on one of the small pcbs IIRC. It tells the machine the drawer is fully closed. You can carefully pop the cover on the pcb mounted switch and clean the internal silver plated contacts. They will likely be black with oxidation. That should fix it.

Let me know how you go.

Back
Top Bottom