Sony ESG vs NAK

rayray83

Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a Japanese model Sony TC-K333ESG in a trade for some Tubes I had left over. I had it serviced and it has got me hooked on tapes again!! I have not touched my turn tables in weeks!!! The Sony is pretty good looking and the sound is very good as well.

I started collecting tapes again along with all my mix tapes that I still have from when I was in high school! and have also experimented with recording a well.

So now that I know I am serious about tapes again I was thinking of trying out a Nakamichi to see what all the fuss is about. Just wondering what Nakamichi models other than the dragon would be a clear step above the sony performance wise. Would like to keep it in the $500-$700 range but could go higher if it will blow the Sony out of the water!

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray

682 Z, I have forgotten if they made a ZXL. I sold mine when some one offered me a stupid price and I planned on buying a Dragon, but life moved on and I used the money to help buy my Mac MVP player. So All I have now is my 581Z. It does all I need it to do. Make tapes for my DODge Ram. Fortunately I still have a couple a dozen Maxell XLII 90 minute cassettes. I retired all my R2R when I couldn't get virgin Maxell UD anymore. I just couldn't see taking steps backwards. Besides my Marantz professional CD recorder was producing much superior copies and I don't need to worry about copy codes. Out of all the CD's I have ever made I have only had two Maxell UD tapes fail me. They not only had superior tape but superior shells and tape guides. No one ever gave the long term service of Maxell cassettes. Most of mine are over 40 years old and going strong. Thats hard to believe, over 40 years.

I can appreciate your excitement over discovering tape again, it's similar to when I discovered Dynavector for LP's. But, with out great tape, its an exercise in frustration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom