Sony HP-210

Vintagevixen

Hi everyone - newb here making my first post :banana:

So I have a question that is most likely going to make all of you shake your head, and then rub the brow in disbelief.

But - I truly need to ask.

So I own that Sony HP-210. And for the turntable it is missing the needle.

To be honest I have not put a needle (stylus) in since I was about 10 years old. And at that time, one - I didn't care if I broke the record player, and two - it was an actual needle and not a whole cartridge.
Well now that I work to pay for everything I own - I am freaked out about breaking something on the vintage stereo.

I checked on youtube and haven't found a single video on how to replace the needle, and I don't remember anything on how to do it other than just inserting the needle and presto it worked - and I don't have the original manual for this Sony.

So I was hoping that someone here can either point me to a video that I somehow missed. Or let me know step by step how to change the cartridge or just put a new needle in. When I look at it, it seems that the cartridge is still there fine, but the whole needle itself is missing.

And I wanted to order a replacement needle or cartridge so if anyone would like to let me know who they are using for their supplier it would really be appreciated.

thanks in advance everyone!!!!

Hey Vixen, welcome to the club!

Can you post a pic of the cartridge? The Sony HP-210 might have had a standard issue cartridge but there's no guarantee that the one on it now is original. Some needles (styli) are super easy to change and others not quite so easy or obvious. Knowing what's on it will help with our recommendations as to how and/or where to get a replacement.

Welcome to the forum!

I can only go by Google pics, and I’m not finding a whole lot, but it doesn’t look like this one has a standard removable headshell. So unfortunately those videos above don’t apply.

There could be a single screw through the top of the headshell, holding some type of mounting sled, hard to tell. I’m sure with some photos we can figure it out.

Ok thanks everyone.

Great idea on posting pics - I will do that by this evening....this way everyone can see what I am looking at...

Already glad I found the forum!

I decided it would be better to post the pics this morning before my day got away from me.

Let me know if I should try a different angle if it is more helpful

Attachments

• 54DAC987-72FB-4512-BE34-E7952632E15F.jpeg
    54DAC987-72FB-4512-BE34-E7952632E15F.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DF0812C9-2662-469C-ACBA-FDFBE739AFB7.jpeg
    DF0812C9-2662-469C-ACBA-FDFBE739AFB7.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 74
That looks like it’s always been in there so the stylus @Montycat linked above should be right. It’s a ceramic cartridge, meaning it’ll be hard on your vinyl, but in your other post you mentioned you have two turntables. I wouldn’t play new records on the Sony.

Ideally you should upgrade to a modern magnetic cartridge but because of the all-in-one design that may not be possible. The built-in receiver probably doesn’t have the proper circuitry for that.

That looks like it’s always been in there so the stylus @Montycat linked above should be right. It’s a ceramic cartridge, meaning it’ll be hard on your vinyl, but in your other post you mentioned you have two turntables. I wouldn’t play new records on the Sony.

Ideally you should upgrade to a modern magnetic cartridge but because of the all-in-one design that may not be possible. The built-in receiver probably doesn’t have the proper circuitry for that.

Hi Bang,

Well....thank you for the help.

I am going to post another photo later and I am going to circle the section I am going to try and pull off - just so i can be positive about which section that I will be removing. Last thing I want to do is force off something that was supposed to stay on haha.:yikes: yikes.

So I have another question. You mentioned a ceramic cartridge being hard on my records. All I have are old records - pre 80s and waaaay older. Some are worth quiet a bit of money now. (Funny how being poor when young and all you could afford were other peoples used records and now they are really sought after). So using both my vintage turntables with a new modern needle is safe on them? Or do I actually need to buy a modern turntable to play my really old or special stuff?

Thanks for any direction.

So on the image I just uploaded I circled where it looks as if one portion of the plastic separates from the other. Would that be the section that I force off? It doesn’t move easy and it seems as if I would need a flat edge to wedge it off there.

Also the four prongs, am I pulling those off firstor for the older stylus do I just leave them alone? I know one one of the vids for the newer player he pulls them off one by one.

I watched the two videos. They are helpful - but it does seem like the newer turntables are so easy and straightforward- while this one seems to be an enigma and scary for me. I can picture myself wrestling to get a cartridge off and one hand flying in one direction while the other pulls all the wires out through the arm .

You don’t need to remove any of that. The two videos above don’t apply in your situation at all.

As you suspected, the stylus is already gone. When you buy the replacement, it should snap right in and that’s it.

I wish I could find more info about this cartridge but there isn’t much. But here’s a very similar one that you will find on many of the Crosley etc. plastic fantastic jobs that have been popping up in the last few years, picture stolen from an eBay auction:

1167A8C8-F610-4744-A1DB-5B97FF00A081.jpeg

This is NOT the one you have, this is just for illustration. You have the black piece, the actual cartridge body. You need the red piece with the needle. (The one linked above is also red but other listings I see show them in green, doesn’t matter in this case.)

Now, about the risk of damaging your records. Ceramic cartridges are the absolute cheapest way to get sound off of a record into an amplifier. That’s why you’ll find them on those $45 retro players at places like Bed, Bath & Beyond (heaven help us!). I’m sure a 70’s Sony is much better than that, but it was probably cheap in its day and aimed at cash-strapped teenagers.

The main problem is that it takes a lot of downforce to keep one of these from jumping out of the groove, and that does harm the record eventually. If you keep your records clean and don’t let the needle get worn, you’re probably okay. But in the long run, I’d try to find a better turntable.

Sooo... then this is my correct part ???

https://www.lpgear.com/product/STHP0210.html

It doesn't show the underside I wish it did. But for my old one would I kind of wedge it out carefully but firmly, then it pops fully out and fingers and toes crossed the new one pops right on?

Funny that you mention the downforce. So tell me, is that why as a kid I used to watch the teens and parents used to put a penny on the record player arm? To keep from jumping right?

(My GAWD I feel like I am needing my hand held like a baby, eh, eventually I will get more used to these things again.)

In the second photo you posted I can sort of see two slots that seem to match the two tabs on the stylus. You hook the tabs in there and swing the other side down, I suppose. So yes, I think Montycat identified it correctly. But I think you can find the same thing for half the money here: https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/phono_needles.asp

Enter 625 in the part number box.

I know, the website looks antiquated, but it's a very reliable source. One man business, I think. His name is Gary. You can email him the same photos to make sure it's what you need.

And yes, that would be why your folks put a penny on there :)

I'd agree with the above. I support The Voice Of Music and order from there frequently. The link I posted just had the better picture.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...MfgNamePhonosNeedles&MfgName=Sony&Categories=

This link should be right for you. There's no real advantage in buying the more expensive one at Lpgear. It might even he the same thing but even if it is better, there is not a lot of point in investing very much in that Sony. I'd get it going but also think about saving some money toward an upgrade.

Yippee ok - we have a consensus we have a quorum hahaha!

I heard about that website from someone else not too long ago. They pretty much said what you both have, that this is the go to place for items

Thanks to you both for the help
...I will go ahead and place the order and when it arrives I am sure I will either post a thrilling hooray it works or more likely - I am freaking out, talk me away from the edge before I attempt to install the needle.

The needle arrived. I am going to either need a Valium, a shot of whiskey or both before I attempt to put it in place
Just be very careful not to slip and bend the new needle , if your patient you should be fine . Let us know how it works out and welcome to AK btw.

Audiofreak71

Hahaha! I decided it might not be a good idea to be under the influence when I attempt it.

Soooo. I popped the needle in. Of course now I have another question.

I am adding a couple photos, I hope this works and you can see what I am talking about.

Does this needle cartridge sit further in or is it supposed to kind of hang outthink way?

Also, when the turntable spins, there is the slightest rattle. The turntable visually looks level, spins level. But inside there is the slightest rattle, no idea from where. Is something like that normal and do I put 3 and 1 some place? Or do you think it just means many the belt is kind of old and needs replacement some time coming up?

I mean when I play records they sound ok, the slight rattle ends up hearing it on low volume.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 76D1F0FC-27E9-4D43-BB4E-8909E6B4EC7A.jpeg
    76D1F0FC-27E9-4D43-BB4E-8909E6B4EC7A.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 319EE6B8-5076-45E5-B521-A0ABE1FE4A8F.jpeg
    319EE6B8-5076-45E5-B521-A0ABE1FE4A8F.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom