Sony HP-610A

Yamaha B-2

Just picked this up on eBay for under $20. Receiver is proported to work just fine, but the Dual 1211 TT works only in manual and is about the cheapest thing Dual ever made. If anyone has a decent Dual for sale, let me know.

Am wondering if anyone knows the power output of this unit? Orion lists as being made from '73-'78 at an MRSP of $425 (!?!). Pretty spendee considering it is a $35 TT. Perhaps it came with a set of speakers originally. But are not mentioned by Orion. Am fixing up for an elderly friend whose Magnavox combo system from the sixties just died. Should be a worthy replacement once I find a 1019/1209/1218 or something to drop into it.

I remember these....

The Sony HP-* series of compact stereo systems were quite popular with those who didn't want to the responsibility of choosing separates. They were far more competitive, price-wise, than the KLH compact systems of a generation earlier.

This particurlar model most likey had around 15w/c or so. They could be ordered with or without speakers. Generally, Sony lower-end speakers were nothing to write home about - those came later. The Dual TT was pretty nice for the price point but was a bit stripped down from the normal Duals yet retained the same level of reliability.

Overall, these were quite nice and they sound quite good all by themselves. The FM, BTW, is quite good in these things.

Downsides are that there's *lots* of interstage coupling caps in them - this was the last generation before those were removed and direct-coupled stages were more common.

I would also take a look at all the larger electrolytics in the power supply and make sure they're not leaking. With this amp section at 30 years old, I would suspect some attention will be needed.

Cheers,

David

Hello David:

Thanks for your info. Do you happen to know of a good source for a manual or schematic for the HP-610A?

I think I'll change out the caps now that I've located a Dual 1219 to install with a Shure M91E cartridge. Planning on pairing with a set of Polk R20 speakers. Should make a really pleasant little system.

Glenn

Talk about hogging one's own thread.....anyway, got the service manual today. Makes 20wpc and originally sold with a set of Sony's own finest speakers in matching walnut cabinets. Probably better off without them (most likely sound just as bad as the rest of the Japanese speakers - ugh).

The HP-610A system came standard with a Shure V15 cartridge in the U.S (AT in ROW). Not too shabby, there. Perhaps the 1211 is not that bad a turntable. I'll have to give it a going over once I decide which Dual to install (probably the 1219, the 1009SK goes with the STR-V6 at my daughter's).

i had a system not unlike that back in the earliest, EARLIEST 70's...only badged RCA, but with the TT integral to the receiver, a matching set of walnut boxed HUGE, HEAVY ASS speakers. cannot remember a thing about what it was called. bought at an appliance store on jefferson blvd. next door to the Texas Theater (yep, that Texas Theater). any of you's guys kin 'member anything about RCA all-in-ones, i would love to hear from ya. my heart beat hard when i brought it into my little $65 a month duplex and i sat there looking at it like an archangel had just walked in the door.

shrinkboy

Yamaha B-2 -NEWBIE NEEDS HELP...Please?

Talk about hogging one's own thread.....anyway, got the service manual today. Makes 20wpc and originally sold with a set of Sony's own finest speakers in matching walnut cabinets. Probably better off without them (most likely sound just as bad as the rest of the Japanese speakers - ugh).

The HP-610A system came standard with a Shure V15 cartridge in the U.S (AT in ROW). Not too shabby, there. Perhaps the 1211 is not that bad a turntable. I'll have to give it a going over once I decide which Dual to install (probably the 1219, the 1009SK goes with the STR-V6 at my daughter's).

Hi,

Newbie to this board. I acquired on Ebay recently an HP 610A. I am desparate for a copy of the manual.

Yamaha B-2 - I spotted in the archives going back to 2004 that another member facilitated you in obtaining a manual. I would grateful for a copy via e-mail or some direction how to obtain one.

I do appreciate your consideration,

Marc

I have an HP-610A as well and would like a copy. Mine came minty and was thrown in with another purchase at an estate sale.

I have an HP-610A as well and would like a copy. Mine came minty and was thrown in with another purchase at an estate sale.

Since this thread hit the streets, the Digital Docs forum was set up for queries like this. Have you checked there?

Cheers,

David

Dual 1219 and Dual 1229 will not fit in this system. The Dual 1218 or Dual 1225 would be the best which can be mounted in this Sony. It was 20 WPC, decent quality, and nice sounding for a compact system. And cost a shade over $400 new in 1973.

Don't know the 1218, but the 1225 is a good turntable.
the problem with your 1211 maybe is the "steuerpimpel", is an easy fix.

I have a Sony HP 610-A and the auto start won’t work, I don’t want to mess anything up taking it apart to check it out. Anyone have any advice on how to carefully take the turntable off the top? Would take it to a repair guy but I figure I can probably fix this myself.

same as other duals, back out the screw next to the start switch and the other ones like it. and then pull them up a bit and tilt them to allow the table to come up from the base. These tilting bolts have washers at the bottom and inch down that allow them to be used to pull the table tight to the base for transport when they are backed out, lifted up and continued to be turned engaging the threads to pull it tight. You want to work with the bolt in the middle unthreaded section.

same as other duals, back out the screw next to the start switch and the other ones like it. and then pull them up a bit and tilt them to allow the table to come up from the base. These tilting bolts have washers at the bottom and inch down that allow them to be used to pull the table tight to the base for transport when they are backed out, lifted up and continued to be turned engaging the threads to pull it tight. You want to work with the bolt in the middle unthreaded section.

Alright I’ve got it apart, looks like the spring isn’t doing what it should. Wish this had a manual option.

Do you have sound from the tuner? If yes make sure the audio is plugged in to the plug on the power amp board.
Also remove the head shell by posting the tonearm "lift towards the rear of the unit.
It'll let the head shell assembly come out. Make sure this connections (4) are clean and the color coded wires are connected correctly.
I don't remember if this TT had an audio mute when between record cycles.

I have the complete unit with the original Sony speakers and it is a great sounding system.
All in all I like the look of the HP-610 VS the KLH model 20 but I'd say the model 20 speakers were better sounding.

Mute is off, speakers were plugged into speaker main right and left, seems like all the connections are solid. Stumped lol

Attachments

• 96F3485B-FA39-4BE0-9557-F903FD7DCD2E.jpeg
    96F3485B-FA39-4BE0-9557-F903FD7DCD2E.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 7B208330-4853-4C12-B8AC-42D4FC7D508C.jpeg
    7B208330-4853-4C12-B8AC-42D4FC7D508C.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom