Sony MDR-V7 question

Over the years, I have acquired three sets of Sony headphones, MDR-V6, MDR-V7 and MDR-7506. They all need repair. I have exploded views/parts lists for the 6 and 7, but not for the 7506. Anyone have one they'd like to share? I'll share mine, and I also have exploded views for the V600 and 7504, if anyone needs them.

This is pure opinion I am sure, but which ones of the three I have are the best? And are the Beyer pads the way to go?

Thanks.

Disappointed there was no response about the 7506's...

The only real difference between my V6 and V7 headphones is that the V7 has a straight cord.

I love the 7506. Basically the same as the V6. Get the beyer pads, the stock Sony's are crap and do not last.

Wouldn't the "exploded views/parts list" for the V6 and 7506 be the same? The difference between the two headphones essentially comes down to stickers and the phono jack being gold plated.

The V7 has saphire evaporated driver membranes, the V6 PET (plastic). The V6 has a smoother frequency response, the V7 somewhat exaggerated bass and treble. It sure is fun to listen to bass heavy tracks on the V7 - try Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Are Made for Walking!

The MDR-7506 is basically the same as the V6.

image038.png

Actually the V7 had titanium drivers and like the mdr-cd900st was only available in Japan which is on Amazon now (Jan 2019) for £210 new import. The V7 was discontinued around 1992 and are now a collectors item.
As far as i can tell, the V6 is no longer available in the UK.

The original V6 had somarium-cobalt magnets whereas the 7506 had neodymium magnets and they both had different specifications. The V6 had a wider frequency response, other differences were cosmetic. Rumours are that Sennheiser HD25-mk2's signature was modelled on the V6 which came out around 1990, 5 yrs after the V6 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's sound signature was modelled on the V7, a decade apart!

Other interesting models were the mdr-7509HD and the mdr-v900hd both again discontinued but were identical.

Current studiophile reference models are the 7510 and 7520.

I personally prefer the M40x for mixing in Cubase and for mastering.

Back
Top Bottom