Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

People can call it urban legend all day long. There's no denying that the DAC chipset used in those were used in many "hi-end" CD players (high dollar also) for a long time.

Ok, after some hardcore research I've come to another conclusion. Stereophile did a large, scientific writeup on this unit. I agreed with everything they stated. The jitter specs (which usually determines a hi-end CDP from a run of the mill) were high for the unit. But for some reason the tester couldn't understand why with the noise measurements he got, it was almost as if it added depth and made it an enjoyable listen. I learned a ton on jitter with CDP's this week, tons of pages.

That's me right now.

In accordance with my strongly held analog/tube religious fanaticism, class D/T is absolute anathema! It's the last thing I would expect to enjoy. But it fills a certain niche very nicely! Recent circumstances have put my vinyl habit on hold for a time and I've been doing the greater part of my listening to the Kinter on my desk. And hand-to-heart, for certain programming I have found it to deliver a *really* nice experience; particular through my Grados.

I've yet to run vinyl through it though.

And someday I'll mod one of the PS1's.

That's me right now.

In accordance with my strongly held analog/tube religious fanaticism, class D/T is absolute anathema! It's the last thing I would expect to enjoy. But it fills a certain niche very nicely! Recent circumstances have put my vinyl habit on hold for a time and I've been doing the greater part of my listening to the Kinter on my desk. And hand-to-heart, for certain programming I have found it to deliver a *really* nice experience; particular through my Grados.

I've yet to run vinyl through it though.

And someday I'll mod one of the PS1's.
Pick up an SCHP-1001. Put some rubber feet on it. Enjoy. They're really nice stock, at least the 1001 is.

Was playing the Game of Thrones soundtrack thru my Ohm Walsh 300 mk2's over the weekend. Eerie, clean sound, with a gargantuan soundstage. While some of that is the Ohms, I have to say the little Sony delivers just the right sound.

I think I'll try my Sony SCHP-1001 out on my newly acquired Ohm Walsh 300's.

HA!!! Almost exactly a year later, I finally do it.

Here's my recently spruced up 5501. It's got all the Dog Breath mods plus a built in remote. It weighs twice as much as a stock 5501 and has that nice warm analogue sound we covet. Goes toe to toe with my Marantz SA8004.

P1010013.jpg

@Poultrygeist - Dog's breath mods???

Looks like a real champ. Like the vent holes.

My two are still going strong, and for a child's toy, the sound is just remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom