Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

It arrives tomorrow (so they say) In the meantime I'm taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning and repairing the door. It has the common "won't stay closed" issue that comes with the little spring losing some of its "spring" lol. Super easy to open up and play with. As soon as I can drive again (My knee is fractured...pain in the ass) which should be on the 11th, I'm going to scour the local thrifts for PS1 tp play with.

For sure! I'm already scrounging around the junk pile for feet, maybe some cool LEDs to add, and I think I see the DVP-7000 sweating a little. :)

Get one of these... Then use a Boutique Power Cable

Few people online say it really matters for better S/Q - I have 2 adapters coming from China. We'll see

Got the adapters yesterday... Now if my son would speed-up his end :biggrin:

plug.png

So the remote arrived and it doesnt work. I wonder if I got the right one...

RCA1_1.jpg

It didn't come with the stupid dongle. Sigh.

Current Tally... $23.... lol Just bought another remote with the dongle this time.

Last edited:
I might try one of those, I have an aftermarket unit as pictured. I can tell when it's working as I hear the PS1 whir it's way to the first track, it's a rather satisfying noise.

i also love that deep descending drone noise you get when the PS1 is powered up.

IMG_4456.JPG

The guy who modded my 5501 added an internal remote. The sensor is located below the open button. The remote only controls play, stop and next track.

OK! Dongle in! Time to set the thing up! Impressions coming soon. (fingers crossed the dongle works!)

No way... even with all the purchases I'm less than $30 in so far. Plus, it's cool if the turd sounds better than the transport needing no polish.

Yeah and when your done listening to the Beatles you can play a game of Donkey Kong.

ps Manny I was referring to the souped up one in the photo.

Last edited:
Now if my son would speed-up his end :biggrin:

It's ready :rockon:

Not really a super-duper mod... P/S board completely recapped , 4 caps replaced in the signal paths and RCAs added straight from board. My other 5501 has only RCAs added

Should have it tonight

Last edited:
Seem the surface mount fuses are blown on the connector ports. A common issue and the reason why so many PS One are in landfills. Seems like a simple hack to fix. But it's going to have to wait. I'll buy another one in the meantime. :rant:

Seem the surface mount fuses are blown on the connector ports. A common issue and the reason why so many PS One are in landfills. Seems like a simple hack to fix. But it's going to have to wait. I'll buy another one in the meantime. :rant:

The plastic laser sled transports can warp or wear over time on the early models SCPH-100x series as they are close to the power source. I've had one die already. There's a work around or you can remember to turn them off or get a later version cast sled assembly or isolate the power source.

If anything I can use the parts from the one with the blown port fuses. This one is tested and guaranteed (as much as it can be) to be working.

I may have posted this earlier but for whatever reason the 1001's I've owned had difficulty reading CD-R's but not so with the 5501.

Finally got around to a real evaluation of the recapped 5501 with added RCAs & power cord adapter

Using a standard PS Audio power cable

I couldn't help but smile every so often while spinning CDs -- Why? Because this low cost CDP sounds so damn good. :biggrin:

Compared to an unmodded 5501 this one has more authority in the low regions. Just better and more solid tight bass

Just hope it lasts :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom