Sony PS-2251 LA custom armboard

Hello everyone , new member here, hoping to pick your collective brains . I recently picked up a Sony ps-2251 la turntable that came with an SME 3009 II improved arm / Shure V15 iii cart and stylus combo. The table is in excellent condition , keeps perfect speed and has a near perfect cover .
I have sent the tonearm to SME tonearms for their total rebuild / rewire and am now needing to make a new armboard. The first owner did a real hack-job on the original factory board which is a shame as i would like to keep it as original as possible.
The original is made of plywood, possibly two pieces sandwiched together , to make the lip around edges. It is about 7/16" thick. I am considering using 1/8" baltic birch plywood for the top piece then a thin layer of lead sandwiched between a 1/4" piece of baltic birch plywood. Will the lead help deaden the board ? Maybe too much ?
Any help , thoughts or opinions will be appreciated Thanks, RichardIMG_0756.JPG IMG_0755.JPG

The lead should help but as to if it will be to much well the only way to tell is try it.

Note that if you end up needing to increase the pillar height on the SME much consider
using a spacer under the bedplate or make a step on the armboard since your reworking it.

Thats a good table.

The lead should help but as to if it will be to much well the only way to tell is try it.

Note that if you end up needing to increase the pillar height on the SME much consider
using a spacer under the bedplate or make a step on the armboard since your reworking it.

Thats a good table.
Thanks Totem,
I am very happy with the table overall and cant wait to get it put back together . I just received a call from SME tonearms and was informed there were a few incorrect parts on the arm . Replacing with original NOS parts , should be perfect. This is my first tonearm delete table so the whole arm board issue is new to me.
Thanks again, Richard

I make them with a MDF core veneered both sides with thick shop-sawn veneer. BB plywood should also be a good choice. Haven’t used lead but it should damp any vibration well. It’s doubtful an arm board can be over damped.

I make them with a MDF core veneered both sides with thick shop-sawn veneer. BB plywood should also be a good choice. Haven’t used lead but it should damp any vibration well. It’s doubtful an arm board can be over damped.
To tell you the truth im not sure about the lead sheet. I saw a couple discussions where guys used them but it could be overkill. The baltic birch is affordable enough that if im not happy with the results i can change them . I will veneer whatever board i make in walnut.
Thanks elcoholic , Richard

I might use a piece of MLV as the sandwich instead of straight lead. Less hazardous and easier to work with.

Having more than one material sandwiched together as in constrained layer
IMO is the way to go.
As elcoholic mentioned thick cut veneer plus mdf or Panserholtz hard to find and work with
or what I used Bamboo plywood [not flooring] with its right angle crossing layers
and resin bond note eats tool steel.

Back
Top Bottom