Sony PS-2400 restoration

FauxHall

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up a Sony PS-2400 tt in pretty good shape in Dubai. Cost was about $54 USD. It will need a new belt and I picked up a new Ortofon head shell on the way home at Virgin Megastore. I've got a Ortofon Red cart as a spare I'll use as a test.

I see Needle Doctor has a variety of Sony belts. Anyone know the correct part number?

Advice and suggestions welcome.

TT1.jpg tt2.jpg TT3.jpg TT4.jpg TT5.jpg

Attachments

• TT6.jpg
    TT6.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6
  • TT7.jpg
    TT7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 6
  • TT8.jpg
    TT8.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
Nice! I love mine.

That headshell might be a touch light for the arm, but I think it's probably still within range.

I'll measure my belt later when I get home. It might be 25" but at this point that's a guess.

Do I have the same arm as you?
I remember reading the initial mystery.

That looks identical to me. I don't have specs on it but it is obviously quite close to the PUA-114 except for the anti-skate design.

Ordered the 25 inch Sony belt from Needle Doctor along with MoFi alignment gizmo and another head shell. Plus sleeves and dividers.

Had to make the $55 international shipping cost amortized.

Does the belt go on the big flange on the underside of the platter or is there something I'm missing?

Like a proper owners manual? Anyone have one to share electronicly?

Does the belt go on the big flange on the underside of the platter or is there something I'm missing?

Yes. Here's the platter. Belt goes around the larger of the inner circles. It will stretch a bit and hold on by itself.

Sony PS-2400 15 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Flip the platter over and stick a finger through one of the large holes and stretch the belt out a bit away from the flange.

Sony PS-2400 14 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Lower the platter onto the spindle while stretching the belt over the edge of the pulley, lower left. Then let the belt go, and give the platter a turn or so to centre the belt. Mat back on and start playing records!

Sony PS-2400 13 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Like a proper owners manual? Anyone have one to share electronicly?

I don't know of one but this is neat: http://audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ESPRIT/player/ps-2400.html

This is nearly the same turntable except that it is direct drive and has the antiskate dial on the tonearm.rather than the weight on a string.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-2250.shtml

Got the belt on and it turns. Mounted a spare Ortofon OM-10 on a pretty head shell.

Got it aligned with the MoFi gizmo but to set VTF, I had to go back and add a little weight to the cart. I put it between the head shell and the cart which, luckily seemed to keep the cart parallel to the vinyl. Then repeated the VTF and alignment.

Connected to my Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and I get music! So far so good.

But it it is running fast - just listen to human speech. There's an adjustment knob which does change the speed but not enough. There's also a strobe and a strobe viewing window but I see nothing through it. There's no other controls or adjustments that I can see.

Sure would like to find a service manual!

tt head shell and cart.jpg tt speed strobe.jpg tt speed.jpg

This is an old thread, I am curious, and this question might help someone else:
there is no mention here of a transformer to feed the turntable 100v Japanese-style
rather than 110V Amurican-electricty. The 2400 is a Japanese model that takes 100v (as on the ID-plate in the photo here).
If run at the wrong voltage, I expect it would run too fast no matter the belt, as in the effort described so far here?

Japan has two grids with different frequencies. One is 50 Hz and the other is 60 Hz.

The UAE has 50 Hz.

I used a transformer so the voltage was close enough.

Sorry--my query was perhaps only one notch on the tech-advice scale more sophisticated
than "have you tried unplugging and rebooting your modem/ wifi?" but worth a shot.
I guess it is the belt, which can be super-critical to 33.33 speed. I see belts out there claiming to fit this model . . .

Back
Top Bottom