SONY PS-313 FA Turntable Information Please

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by zeplin43, Feb 21, 2010.

1. zeplin43

zeplin43 Well-Known Member

I have the posibility of buying this Sony turntable.There is little or no information for it(not even VE) have any of you any experience with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

Depends on the price. Looks like a later cousin of the PS-Xxx series. If so, it should be pretty darned good.

3. zeplin43

The asked price is 75$ do you guys think this is worth a shot?
    Did Sony make there own tables or are they rebadged TTs?
    Where can i get a Manual for this since the seller do not have one?

4. thedelihaus

thedelihaus Nocturnal transmissions

It's gonna be a good table but not a great table.

It has seen the effects of cost-cutting- no quartz lock, no X-Tal lock, no VTA adjustment, more plastic than the earlier and beefier models.

But being a direct drive model and not belt drive, it should have decent power.

I dunno what TTs go for in Portugal, but this is a table I'd say is $35-$50 here in the states.

Not bad.

5. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

In answer to the other question, Sony designed and built their own stuff. One of the few that did - though they did trade some technology here and there. I believe the X'Tal lock system used on some of their tables was developed by Denon.

6. hakaplan

hakaplan Needs professional help

I've never seen or heard of that model--I don't believe it was sold in the US. I don't think it's plastic. The arm housing is screwed to the base. If it were plastic it would just be all one molded piece. I'd definitely check it out. If it feels like it's decent quality and everything works properly, and it's priced right, I'd go for it.

As an aside, responding to what thedelihaus said, even lacking quartz isn't enough to disqualify a tt. The PS-X20 was a full auto, quartz, piece of junk. I know--I bought one as a student. The lowliest p-mount Technics was better.

7. zeplin43

Here is a google tranlation from German of the only info i could get.
    SONY PS-313 FA solid Hig End, Hi-Fi Turntable - full automatic.

DIRECT DRIVE STEREO FULL AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE SYSTEM!
    quiet and powerful direct drive. The instrument dates from the late '70s and was once the most expensive and most of his time by Sony. Thanks to the electromagnetic control, it has a precise Drehelaufzahl as a quartz clock.
    Here are some extras:

Repeat (repeat) function

Schalplattengrosse Weller 30/25/17

Drehezahlkontrolle with Leuchtstroboskop

An extra Tonarmkopfhalter

Fully operable with the lid closed

Absolutely stable synchronous

Extremely heavy platter

Bulk Tonearm Cable

Specifications:

Color:

Silver Metallic

Aluminum Front

Drive:

Fully automatic

Electronically controlled direct drive

Motor: DC servo motor (brushless)

Drive controller method: Pitch control

Platter: Aluminum diecast 30cmØ

Drehezahl: 33/45UpM fine adjustment ± 3

45-rpm adapter

Tonearm:

Dynamic / Static balanced

Headshell connector: universal SMS

Previous S-tube tonearm

with fine adjustable auxiliary Rocked

Kardanaufhängung with 4Punkt-peak storage

Hydraulic all supported Tonarmabsenkung

Anti-Skating

Cartridge / needle:

Stereo magnetic cartridge

Sony diamond (tapered)

Fittingly Nadelauflagerdruck 2.0 g

Frequency Response 10-30,000 Hz

Dimensions (WxHxD)

ca.450x385x135cm

Rocked

about 9 kg.

8. Analog King

Analog King Active Member

I just found one of these for $5 in a Japanese thrift store.
    Missing the cover and needs a new cartridge.
    Scroe!!

9. zeplin43

This one was only around for a couple of months.Its ok but i had better options to spin my lps.

10. Analog King

Analog King Active Member

The one I got looks the same as the one pictured in the OG post except it doesn't have the repeat button and it is just PS 313.
    Can't grumble for $5.

11. Abarth

Abarth New Member

Taking back to life this very old thread, because I own this Sony turntable for almost a week now, bought it in a local "vintage market" for 140€, and I need some help from AK experts.

Overall it looks superb and works decently but there are some issues and maybe you could help me finding a solution:

• The sound quality is quite poor with many pops, clicks and background noise even if I play a new vinyl I'm guessing it as to do with the original sony ND 134 G cartridge that is almost 40 years old. Could be a good a idea replace it with an Audio Technica AT95? (I listen mostly to hard rock and heavy metal stuff and don't want to spend too much money)
    • Sometimes the table doesn't keep the speed starting to spin very fast and the pitch control seems not to work to fix the situation, the only thing to do is switching off everything and start it again. This happened, let's say, twice in a week
    • The tonearm with many vinyls (not all), when moving to the beginning of the record and cueing down doesn't catch the beginning of the vinyl and falls down on the side

Any advices on what to check\do would be very appreciated, I'm not an expert so start from basics :)

The turntable is connected to a Technics SU-V4A amp and two Sony SS-H 3500 3-way speakers

12. gr33nhorn

gr33nhorn AK Subscriber Subscriber

1. generic styluses for that sony cartridge seem to be available in the 12 euro range. That would be cheaper than getting a new cart.
    2. usual problem with old turntables - some contact cleaner spray, like deoxit should fix that
    3. is your anti skate calibrated correctly? if its too much, then it might pull the tonearm out while it is dropping, and make it fall outside
    alternately, you might need to adjust the stylus drop point.
    http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/servicemanuals/viewmanual/Sony/PS313FA/
    look at page 11 for directions

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. Abarth

Abarth New Member

thank you very much for your quick reply!
    I'll try to replace the stylus and see if sound quality improves.
    That service manual is great! I'll try to adjust the stylus drop point as the anti skating is set correctly
    Thanks again!

14. Allan. A

Allan. A New Member

I also have one of these years ago bought second hand. I had the same speed problem and never get it fixed... It seems to be a problem for this model. My local repair told me it's was some drivers to the engine, and maybe the head who reads the speed (like a head in a cassette deck) which is placed underneath the platter. Maybe it will help cleaning it, maybe not..

At least I have up mine, because it was running all to fast all the time and was getting to expensive to repair...

Your other issue I can't give you an answer to