Sony PS-X45 (WEGA P 700)

luktoms

Hi people,
Is there a service manual for my turntable Vega P 700, I think it is the same like Sony PS - X 45 . Visually thay are exactly the same. Need service manual because belt is broken And need to replace it.Thanks

Hi people,
Is there a service manual for my turntable Vega P 700, I think it is the same like Sony PS - X 45 . Visually thay are exactly the same. Need service manual because belt is broken And need to replace it.Thanks

Hi and welcome!

Did you have a look at vinylengine.com? They have a lot of manuals.

/OldschoolAudio

I have a PS-X45, but it's a direct drive, so no belt.

Vinyl Engine has a manual for the PS-X35 though. Same turntable except it has a pitch control and strobe since it doesn't have a quarts lock.

Thanks Corbin Gross,
I am a beginner in vinil world, but I forgot for direct drive. My problem is:
after I turn on the turntable, I push the button to rotate the platter but the platter will not start run every time.(Electric is all right). When I first start manually to rotate plate (a little help) and then push the start button everything works ok....Solution ?

One time I bought a BSR changer that had a similar problem. It was a full auto, and after pushing the start lever nothing would happen. Then if you gave the platter a little spin the thing would work great. After a while it just started to work on it's own.

You'll have to ask the more knowledgeable around here for more specific advice, but my guess would be that something needs to be lubed up. No idea where to start there, as I've never repaired any TTs. I was told that my PS-X45 wouldn't need to have the platter or motor lubed, but the auto tone arm stuff will have some grease that might be hanging up the whole deal.

I also had a cheap Teac belt drive TT that seemed to have a worn out motor, so I guess there's the possibility of that as well. I'd imagine that's something you could test for if you were good with electrical things and meeter and such.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

FWIW, I had a similar issue with a PS-X5 once and it was solved by a thorough cleaning of all switches.

Direct drive...

OK, then. Does it get stuck at a consistent spot? I ask because I have a PS-X70 that has that problem. If it gets stuck at "9 o'clock" it will also get stuck at 12, 6 , and 3 if that is where the platter rests after it stops. If I move it a bit past those positions, it spins fine. I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet, but it sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I've been told it could be a bad motor pole, or bad hall effect sensor, or bad caps, or an adjustment that needs to be made.

The PS-X45 was made around 1979 if I recall correctly, and as such I would expect that the electrolytic capacitors have drifted.
Two weeks ago I acquired a PS-X60 that was experiencing speed problems.
After researching the issue, I ordered replacements for all 23 electrolytic caps and replaced them this past Saturday.
I'm listening to it as I write this and it has been holding its speed ever since I put it back together. I found that most of the caps had drifted greater than 50% from nominal. A 3.3uf cap measured at 4.97uf.
Not all 23 caps affected the speed. Some controlled tone arm funtions as well.
I figured while I was in there I might as well replace them all.
These Sonys are excellent tables and in my opinion deserve to be restored.

Al. Wise

Last edited:
Thank you all for your interest in this topic.I noticed the following thing: When I take off the plate , turntable operating normally.Once plate back on shaft(pin) again, turntable will not start every time( start and stop working again).Only after several restarts( 2 - 3 times pressure switch to start). Note that, a problem with running start exist, a plate run only about 1/4 turn (circle).

Capacitors and lubrication

Luktoms,

I am just guessing Al Wise is correct. I have the exact same problem with my PS-X45. It won't really start up on its own. If you give the platter a little help, then it's going pretty good.

I had mine apart just last night. The main board unfortunately has motor windings directly soldered onto it. If I were to remove that you'd bet I'd take digtal photos and then label the heck out of things with little pieces of masking tape!

I think to properly work on the main board, looks like you must pull the spindle with the attached magnet out of its spindle well. I did that, not too bad, but be prepared to give it a pretty good tug. The magnets want to stay put.

Then all the other connections should be removed so you can handle the board. Unfortunately Sony decided these should be soldered. Rather than clipped on with connectors.

Mark

OK, then. Does it get stuck at a consistent spot? I ask because I have a PS-X70 that has that problem. If it gets stuck at "9 o'clock" it will also get stuck at 12, 6 , and 3 if that is where the platter rests after it stops. If I move it a bit past those positions, it spins fine. I haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet, but it sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I've been told it could be a bad motor pole, or bad hall effect sensor, or bad caps, or an adjustment that needs to be made.

This reminds me of my PS-LX55II -- it seems to require a nudge when stopped, but not always. It seems like the dead spots are about 90 degrees apart. I theorized it was a matter of the motor design just having large areas of "dead centre". id you find out anything about this

This reminds me of my PS-LX55II -- it seems to require a nudge when stopped, but not always. It seems like the dead spots are about 90 degrees apart. I theorized it was a matter of the motor design just having large areas of "dead centre". id you find out anything about this
I put my X70 project on hold for now.
Not much time to get to it, and I have tables to use that make me happy for now. I'd really like to get it up to speed, though.

Back
Top Bottom