Sony PS-X600 low volume left channel and pop noise

Polobic

Hi everyone!

I really hope some of you can help me here. I just bought a mint Sony PS-X600 and when I first tried I noticed 2 issues:

1- The signal in the left channel is very low compared to the right. (also almost no bass) I have verified my preamp, amp and speakers with another turntable and it works fine.

2-The mute switch is very noisy when it turns on and off.

Is there a simple way I can fix this? Thank you very much! I suspect the mute switch is the cause of both the problems. Can I simply take it off?

I noticed the pop with that table when I tried it with an LOMC. Switching to MM fixed it, but I'm not sure why. The channel imbalance might be related...

You can activate and deactivate the mute while the arm is on the rest just by pressing the arm raise button. That will allow you to easily check if the mute is responsible for the popping sound without having to play a record.

There is a user manual and service manual at Vinylengine.

The user manual mentions the RCA connection should be checked. I will make an observation here that I have a problem with the RCA connection on mine in that I will get hum unless I adjust the cable to ensure that it is held horizontal where it exits the deck. There is a possibility that the RCA leads are a bit problematic on these decks.

I am currently using an AT-F7 MC on mine but have also used MM cartridges so doubt the cartridge will be a factor unless there is an issue with the connection of the tags.

"mute switch"???
Thanks for your reply!

There is a mute function that turn off when you start the record and on when it as finished.

I have unmuted it without playing a record and still hear a pop when it turns on and off. I have gently touched the stylus with a brush and I still have very low volume on left channel.. like something is blocking it. Is there a way to check the stylus/cartridge connection and tags?

I will definitly check the RCA connection but I dont want to break anything, is there somethings that I have to watch when I open the turntable?

Never been inside my deck. I just make sure the RCA lead is lifted up where it exits the deck. A small box or similar will do. That fixes my issue sufficiently well that I have not tried to troubleshoot further.

Try reversing the left and right tags to see if the problem switches channels.

Also check the headshell wires are properly connected/soldered inside the headshell where they connect to the arm. You will need to take the headshell off to check.

Last edited:
My turntable is a PS-X600 and I'm not aware of this mute "function".
Perhaps it's automatic:dunno:

Never been inside my deck. I just make sure the RCA lead is lifted up where it exits the deck. A small box or similar will do. That fixes my issue sufficiently well that I have not tried to troubleshoot further.

I have tried reversing them and it does transfer. When move the RCA nothing changes. I think I will have to get inside to see. Any tips with the cartridge/stylus connections and tag?

Mute switch may just need to be cleaned. That could explain both the popping and the low left channel. May just be a poor contact. That's where I'd start. Might as well inspect the RCA connections for tightness or cracked solder joints based on what cre009 reports about his table.

Mute switch may just need to be cleaned. That could explain both the popping and the low left channel. May just be a poor contact. That's where I'd start. Might as well inspect the RCA connections for tightness or cracked solder joints based on what cre009 reports about his table.

That seems like a good option! Any tips on what I should and shouldn't do when opening my table? I don't want to screw it up... Can I clean the switch with some rubbing alcool?

If you open it up then make sure you are very careful with the platter on these decks. Inside the platter there is a magnetic strip which must not be damaged because it controls the speed.

The service manual is quite good for telling you where to look for maintenance issues.

That seems like a good option! Any tips on what I should and shouldn't do when opening my table? I don't want to screw it up... Can I clean the switch with some rubbing alcool?
It's a sealed microswitch. I doubt it can be cleaned.

Ah didn't know it was sealed. I'd still imagine that's the source of your popping. If you get inside, take some photos, and you may get more specific guidance from someone more familiar with this table.

If the sound switches channels when you switch the cartridge tags then that should rule out the RCA leads. Double check the headshell wires at both ends are properly connected.

Also check the headshell wires are properly connected/soldered inside the headshell where they connect to the arm. You will need to take the headshell off to check.

You will want to replace the interconnects on yours. I had a PS-4300 with that problem. It turns out it was a broken segment in the cable. I regretted my solution, which was to cut it down until all I had left was good. However, in hindsight, I am certain it will come back. It seems the insulation in the interconnect deteriorates over time, making the cable a weak point. Flakey cable. I should have replaced the whole cable.

Back
Top Bottom