SONY PS-X65 ?? Anybody?

Kim G

Today I pulled the trigger on a Sony PS-X65 on ebay with a BIN. I have 3 other Sony tables that I am impressed with :music: and I thought I would add this one to the stable. I haven't been able to find out too much about this particular model other than it is a later edition of the PS-X60, which there is some good information on the vintageknob website. It should be a pretty good performer. One thing that helped me buy it was that it still has a large decal on the dust cover explaining some parts of the table. I imagine these were probably ripped off not long after purchasing and therfore a conversational piece of history of the table. It comes in the original box and it isn't that far away from me so it should make through shipping OK. I would like to hear your comments or experiences ( good or bad ) about this turntable. Help me out here, I hope I didn't buy a lemon. :scratch2:

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PS-X65-Pro...oryZ3283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,

Kim

I can't tell you too much about the X65 other than you got a heck of a deal on that one. I saw that listing and almost jumped on it myself just because of the price, but I've already got an X70, an X600, and 3 other TT's. The X60 and X70 are nice tables and my X70 sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure you'll like the X65 (especially considering the price), which seems to be mostly a cosmetic update of the X60/70 with the addition of the automatic disc size selection.

Blimey - that was a good price!! :thmbsp:

Should be a good deck - i used to have the PS-X75 which was the same as yours but with the Biotracer arm and it was a very impressive unit. When i bought it, the speed wobbled all over the place but a couple of new trimpots on the PCB cured that and i rather liked it.

Another one that falls into my "why did i sell it?" category!

Wow! Great deal, $56.20 including shipping. Lucky I didn't see it first. Hope the seller does a good job of packing it. High end turntables don't travel well without special measures (remove platter, bubblewrap and pack underneath the turntable; immobilize the tonearm; remove the counterweight from the tonearm and pack in corner of box; immobilize turntable in box). If the seller hasn't shipped yet, I'd suggest you request they do the above. And then cross your fingers till it arrives.

The high end Sony's from this period are great items, incredible build quality. My main unit is a PS-X75, same basic turntable but has the biotracer arm, and it is fantastic. Nothing like them being built today (probably cost $1000s to replicate them these days). Enjoy.

bjarmson

Well it arrived today. It was sitting for me when I got home from work. Shipped only in original box, when I picked it up I heard a frightful sound, I opened it up and the idiot had not removed the platter and it was off the spindle and rubbing the dustcover. The dustcover wasn't broke or cracked so I figured it hadn't traveled too roughly or long in that state. I pulled it out of the box and the tonearm weights and headshell was taken off and packed in the original styrofoam so they were OK. I put the platter on the spindle and plugged in and crossed my fingers. The record sensing light lit up and I pushed the motor on button, nothing, pushed the start button, nothing, then I pushed the tone arm lift button, nothing. The 33 speed light was lit and I pushed the speed selector button and nothing changed, pushed the repeat button and it didn't light up. DOA!!! Boy am I pissed, I immediately sent off a message to the seller but he hasn't responded yet, I doubt that he will.

So I am trying to trouble shoot it. I took off the bottom cover and couldn't locate any fuses, scratch that wishful thinking. Then I removed the control panel and tested each of the touch sensitive switches for continuity when pressed and they all passed. I checked to make sure the voltage switch was set to 110-120 and it was. I don't know where to go from here. There are three wires coming out the transformer, 2 red and 1 black but I don't how to check them or what the voltage should be. Anyone have any experience with something like this or some ideas of what I can check next? It is a good looking table, and I sure wish that it would work. I guess I took the bullet for you guys who almost bought it, yeah, count yourself lucky.
BUMMED :tears:
Kim

OK, I have another querstion for the techs. just tried the power switch again, a spring detent switch, and if I carefully push it down the platter at one point will move maybe 1/4" backwards and then when I let up on it gently it rotates forward to the starting place. Could it be the switch preventing it from working? Can I bypass the switch? How? Thanks for your coments.

Kim

Doesn't this table automatically sense the size of the record? If no record is present, it probably won't even turn.

Thanks Nitro, Itried that already and it made no difference.

I just received an e-mail from the seller and this is his reply
"Hello. It must have got damaged in shipping. I assure you it worked great before it was shipped. We played records on it. I have a 100% rating on ebay and would never would sell something that didn't work or was junk. I don't know how to handle this. Since I shipped it UPS, I think it has shipping insurance maybe? Do you remember if you purchased shipping insurance? Either way I'm sure we can work something out. Please advise if you have any ideas or if I should just contact UPS. Thanks!"

I don't believe him. The cartridge that is mounted to the headshell does not have a tip on the stylus. I will email him back and call his bluff.

Kim

What a goof!
Did you give him any instructions on packaging it prior to shipping?
This really sucks as I think UPS will probably decline his claim.
Only hope is for the guy to give you a refund or pay for the repair.
Sorry to hear it man! It is a nice table.

Kim G said:
Thanks Nitro, Itried that already and it made no difference.

I just received an e-mail from the seller and this is his reply
"Hello. It must have got damaged in shipping. I assure you it worked great before it was shipped. We played records on it. I have a 100% rating on ebay and would never would sell something that didn't work or was junk. I don't know how to handle this. Since I shipped it UPS, I think it has shipping insurance maybe? Do you remember if you purchased shipping insurance? Either way I'm sure we can work something out. Please advise if you have any ideas or if I should just contact UPS. Thanks!"

I don't believe him. The cartridge that is mounted to the headshell does not have a tip on the stylus. I will email him back and call his bluff.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom