Sony PS-X7 Turntable issue...

Jon S

Help! I have an old Sony PS-X7 turntable with an issue. When set in auto mode and you press start, the tonearm will move over all over the record, never at the lead-in point. It can be an inch or it can movew all the way to the end of the record. The drop off point adjustment is of no help. It does all me to adjust it to the outmost edge of the record. No matter how I adjust the screw, the tonearm still goes anywhere, never to the same point.

I should mention that the auto function was not working at all. I did degrease and relube some of the assemblies it the auto mode started working. Any ideas?

If you can't get the auto start to work right, this is a great turntable to use as a semi-automatic.

In Manual.
Position tonearm over record, press start, clean record, sit down and enjoy.

The arm is in turntable directe Cue Up position allowing the positioning of the arm over the record and at the end it returns to rest, remaining in the up position.

Good luck with the fix but if no luck you have a great semi-auto table. So convenient to use in that mode. A friend's table was here for that same issue (PS-X5) and it would only work a few times and I found out how it worked in semi-auto. Kept working on it and maybe it works right now, did when it left most of the time. The --7 I have had a locating issue and that was a cracked, loose tonearm attachment, I think.

The Sony PS-X7 Plot thickens.( A bit long reply, but heck what better things to do while hunkered down due to COVID-19 restrictions

Long story short.I had to change out my Technics SL-1900 due to intermittent speed control issues. That's an issue for another forum topic on the SL-1900.

Here's the deal with my backup Sony PS-X7:

1) TT was working fine in auto mode for a few days till yesterday when the auto function cleverly decided to switch to semi-auto.
Start touch button did not activate auto usage(tone arm just resting in place).
I went old school and went manual, monitoring end of LP activity. At the end of the LP tonearm returned to rest. I thought it may be plastic screw mentioned in forums but if plastic screw was cracked then wouldn't return not work either? It's a little frustrating, especially since my other TT is temporarily out of commission till service. One more thing: I did replace the mat due to gel leakage(doesn't appear to have leaked inside platter)and replaced with a spare Technics mat
Any ideas?

2) I unscrewed the head-stock to check stylus and noticed it was possibly in need of replacement. The stylus is yellow and logo appears to be Audio Technica.
The cartridge on the other hand is "no name" silver metal, and is working very nicely.

I haven't researched replacement stylus as yet, (will try to today but my 98 year old mom is recovering from non COVID-19 related illness in a skilled nursing facility awaiting discharge at the end of the month and things have been compounded stressed) but it would be of great assistance if someone with cartridge/stylus id experience could help me out.

Please note: Photos are attached and thoughts and prayers for all my vinyl loving friends for safety & protection.

Nick J.

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_093705.jpg
    IMG_20200322_093705.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 26
  • MVIMG_20200322_093737.jpg
    MVIMG_20200322_093737.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
  • MVIMG_20200322_093809.jpg
    MVIMG_20200322_093809.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 24
i really liked my PS-X7, i would own one again. i didn't have any issues with my auto function, but i barely used it because with an expensive cart, i'd never totally trust it to drop in the right spot every time. i would suggest getting a nice ~$200 cartridge to replace that old AT, setting it up carefully, and then using it in semi-auto mode (i.e. just taking advantage of auto-return).

i really liked my PS-X7, i would own one again. i didn't have any issues with my auto function, but i barely used it because with an expensive cart, i'd never totally trust it to drop in the right spot every time. i would suggest getting a nice ~$200 cartridge to replace that old AT, setting it up carefully, and then using it in semi-auto mode (i.e. just taking advantage of auto-return).
Thanks for the reply and info cdfac. Wow, so the no name cartridge is an AT. Any idea what model stylus is in the photo I submitted?
Re. semi auto and manual drop spots, I hear you!
Thinking back to my Disco dj days in the 70's and 80's, auto TT's were not even considered.
Personally, I don't like the entire head-shell, cart and stylus, and I may replace the whole setup with a reasonable option when budget permits.
Right now, $200.00 bucks on a cart is out, especially with a TT that's not working optimally.
I may just go the cheapo route and just replace the stylus, if possible. Any idea which AT stylus model is in photo, or a replacement that will fit the old AT cart till I budget for a new setup?

AT cartridges are labeled on top so if you unbolt it you should see the numbers.

AT cartridges are labeled on top so if you unbolt it you should see the numbers.
Thanks for the tip! I was actually trying to find out the model of the stylus, not the cartridge, or if there was an acceptable stylus that would fit the cartridge till I replace.

without the cartridge number folks gotta see the nail and recognize it. It is a lower AT and I don't recognize it. I looked at a pile of AT nails and none looked identical to the one you have. someone here knows what it is but it sure is easy to unbolt it and look for some, others have trouble getting it back together.

About your auto start, it might be that the size selector just moved out of its linkage (your size selectore knob is no longer linked with the metal linkage it's supposed to be connected to...)

About your auto start, it might be that the size selector just moved out of its linkage (your size selectore knob is no longer linked with the metal linkage it's supposed to be connected to...)
You may be right! I actually saw something on the size selector knob on another thread. Also, the cheap plastic screw inside the machine that may cause similar problem. When I get my Technics running again I'll probably flip the Sony and open it u and see what's lurking inside. Maybe a good deoxit may do the trick?

Hi, I have a PS X7. It has some issues like intermittent strobe, repeat function not working, sometime the tonearm stops mid-play and returns to the rest position. And the tonearm could use a top up of silicone oil so that it lowers slower. And it needs a general clean, degrease and relube. So far, I have made the feet more solid by inserting a nail and epoxy in the screw in stem. And fixed the select switch. Other than that it runs great :(. I was going to replace the old Stanton 500 D5100EL with a Nagaoka mp-110. Any thoughts on the MP-110? Is the old Stanton worth anything?

Attachments

• Stanton1.jpg
    Stanton1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6
  • Repeat light.jpg
    Repeat light.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 6
  • X7 speed Select switch3.jpg
    X7 speed Select switch3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom