Sony SCD-CE595 Will Not Play SACD Layer of Hybrid Discs

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
I've read so many good reports about the sound quality of the inexpensive Sony SCD-CE595 Super Audio CD player in this forum, when one showed up on the shelves of my local Goodwill a few weeks ago I couldn't resist the temptation to pick it up. I was in the middle of the move at the time. So, I finally got around to hooking it up today.

The first SACD I popped in, Beck - Sea Change, did indeed sound great. This is an SACD only, both 2 Channel Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound, but no Red Book CD layer. Since this is my first changer capable to playing SACDs, I excitedly popped in 5 of my favorites.

In the DISC 1 position was Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism, followed by Roxy Music - Avalon in DISC2, these are both Hybrid Discs containing both CD and SACD layers. Rounding out the 5: Steely Dan - Aja (Single Layer SACD), The Eagles - Hotel California (Hybrid) and Boston - Boston (Single Layer SACD).

To cut to the chase, the SCD CE-595 would not read the SACD layer of any of the Hybrid Discs. It would eventually default to CD and when I push the SC-CD/CD button on the SCD CE-595, the display panel reads "NOT HYBRID" (liar, it's a Hybrid, you just can't read it). The two single layer SACDs played fine (but were incredibly slow to load).

I did a forum search and the only thing I could find was this thread:

Problem with Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Changer Solved??

Unfortunately, the OP's problem wasn't really solved and his workaround (to play a single layer SACD first) does not work in my case (I tried it with multiple combinations of single layer SACDs followed by Hybrid Discs).

I really want this player to work properly. It does sound excellent when playing single layer SACDs, but over half of my SACDs are Hybrd Discs, including many of my favorites.

So, is there any low hanging fruit I can try to get this thing working properly? I have never worked on a CD/SACD player. So, I don't know the trouble shooting flow/methods. This player isn't worth enough to take it to a shop that will charge me more than it's worth to get it working again. Unfortunately, if there is no inexpensive solution, back to Goodwill it goes and I go back to my single disc SACD players.

Have your cleaned the lens? SACDs have a much finer pitch to read and the lens must be kept clean. I use a CE595 and it plays both layers without a hitch, but I clean the lens with a cleaner disc about once a month.

Didn’t read the thread you linked, so not sure if there’s a calibration option, but some Sony SACD players have a calibration routine you may want to try.

I realize this is an old post.
I found somewhere a fix. At least it worked for me.
I copied it to a txt almost ten years ago. Worked for me. I don't know where but have the posters "handle" to give credit.
Credit due to that person.

Post by cudBwrong September 26, 2014 (3 of 31)
It seems to be a common problem that the scd-ce595 and similar machines may stop reading the sacd layer. Sometimes cleaning the lens with a microfibre cloth may help. (Requires removing the housing. Unplug the machine first.) Others report that the calibration procedure may fix it. Your mileage may vary. The calibration is easy to do.
Here is the calibration procedure for the 595. A service manual is available on hifiengine.com for registered members. Registration is free.
You want to run the "U-Con" procedure.

I will call the knob on the right front faceplate which can be rotated or pushed in the "enter" control. It is labeled "push enter" underneath. You will be rotating this knob, and also pressing it in during the procedure.

1. Turn the machine off, with no disc inside.
2. Press "enter" and "menu" simultaneously. While holding them down, turn on the power. The display reads "diag mode"
3. Press the open button to open the tray. Insert a hybrid disc and press the button again to close the tray.
4. Rotate the "enter" knob clockwise until "B0" appears in the display. You have to go a pretty far distance to get there, keep turning.
5. Push the "enter" knob. The display will read "FFFF"
6. Rotate the "enter" knob clockwise again until "B1" appears.
7. Press "enter" The display will count down some negative numbers until a 4 character string appears. It's a hexadecimal number.
8. Rotate "enter" clockwise again until "B2" appears. Press "enter".
The same 4 character number will appear again. It should be, numerically, between 04D0 and 08D0. If you are not familiar with hex numbers, don't worry, since there is nothing you can do about it anyway.
9. Press the open button and unload the disc. Press the button again to close the tray. IMPORTANT: turn the power off. You are now out of diagnostic mode and you are calibrated.
Good luck!

Would like feedback if this works for you.
Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
Rick! You are the King :) I just got this SACD player a few weeks ago. Like new condition, and I didn't have a single SACD to try it out. So bought one on amazon, this was Bob James "One". Put it on and ... "Not a Hybrid" was shown on the dysplay :) So I was listening to CD instead of SACD. But then I thought there must be something I don't know and went for search and here we are, I found a solution and the problem was solved in less than 5 min. Thank you so much for posting this info. After the procedure as soon as I popped the "One" back in, the player straight away showed me the "Hybrid" and "SACD". All works just fine!

Rick! You are the King :) I just got this SACD player a few weeks ago. Like new condition, and I didn't have a single SACD to try it out. So bought one on amazon, this was Bob James "One". Put it on and ... "Not a Hybrid" was shown on the dysplay :) So I was listening to CD instead of SACD. But then I thought there must be something I don't know and went for search and here we are, I found a solution and the problem was solved in less than 5 min. Thank you so much for posting this info. After the procedure as soon as I popped the "One" back in, the player straight away showed me the "Hybrid" and "SACD". All works just fine!
You're lucky! Mine unfortunately does not display the additional commands when pushing the "menu" button. After downloading the manual, it appears that this functionality to recalibrate applies when the system version number is 1.24 or higher. Mine is 1.09. :wtf:

O
I copied it to a txt almost ten years ago. Worked for me. I don't know where but have the posters "handle" to give credit.

It seems to be a common problem that the scd-ce595 and similar machines may stop reading the sacd layer. Sometimes cleaning the lens with a microfibre cloth may help. (Requires removing the housing. Unplug the machine first.) Others report that the calibration procedure may fix it. Your mileage may vary. The calibration is easy to do.
Here is the calibration procedure for the 595. A service manual is available on hifiengine.com for registered members. Registration is free.

I will call the knob on the right front faceplate which can be rotated or pushed in the "enter" control. It is labeled "push enter" underneath. You will be rotating this knob, and also pressing it in during the procedure.

2. Press "enter" and "menu" simultaneously. While holding them down, turn on the power. The display reads "diag mode"
3. Press the open button to open the tray. Insert a hybrid disc and press the button again to close the tray.
4. Rotate the "enter" knob clockwise until "B0" appears in the display. You have to go a pretty far distance to get there, keep turning.
7. Press "enter" The display will count down some negative numbers until a 4 character string appears. It's a hexadecimal number.
The same 4 character number will appear again. It should be, numerically, between 04D0 and 08D0. If you are not familiar with hex numbers, don't worry, since there is nothing you can do about it anyway.
9. Press the open button and unload the disc. Press the button again to close the tray. IMPORTANT: turn the power off. You are now out of diagnostic mode and you are calibrated.
Good luck!

Cheers
R

Rick! Oh my, I just bought one of these second hand for 58 squid, nice condition.
Plays cd perfectly but won't recognise sacd. Did your procedure verbatim and absolutely perfect, fantastic, thanks very much. Guess the wee isn't all bad. Thank you very much. A lesson here- old forum posts never die, they just get more desperate!

Good luck!

Cheers
Rick
Perfect man, it worked for me!!! Thanks!

Just got one of these and was having the same problem. The Calibration worked like a cheer, I was shocked. Usually these things never work for me. Thank you, Rick!

Because I have the same player (loved it), I wanted to comment that I did the reset and it worked fine for a couple of days and then completely went south when it even stopped reading cds and refused to eject. The main issue originally was that it stopped reading single sided SACD, then stopped playing (ie skipping) hybrid discs and finally, after the reset, stopped reading everything. It was great while it lasted. Not bad, really. I was very tempted to replace it with the same, but most seem to think "testing" means it powers on and look like they were pulled from housefires. I assume, both the lasers are finished on mine, and it was just time.

Back
Top Bottom