Sony Scenario 7 - TA-S7 Integrated Amp

Whitehall

I've got the tuner, the ST-S7, and find it a cute piece with good style and reasonable build quality and performance. I paid $55 for it locally and thought that price was very reasonable.

A guy in LA was selling the matching integrated amp, the TA-S7, for buy-it-now for $300.

That was WAAAAY too much given what I've seen of the tuner but at some price it would be a good match for the tuner and make a good present for our hifi deprived friends and relatives.

Anyone every seen or heard the amp or would take a stab at a reasonable price? I'm guessing that $100 is generous but would appreciate any AK'er input.

No TA-"S" prefix integrated amps in Orion. I should go down to the closet and check my little Sony integrated for a model number (it's not listed in Orion, either).
$100 is probably very generous.

I have the four piece set of Sony Scenario 7 pieces. I picked them up a few year ago on ebay. At that time I paid about $50 for the amp and remote control. I would guess $100 would probably be a fair price on one today given it obscurity. However I only paid about $200 for the whole four piece set that I have. It took me about two years to find all of the pieces though. :sigh:

13.JPG

WP,

But how does the amp sound? I did a writeup on the tuner in the "Tuner" section.

Have you popped the lid on the amp? I'd guess it has some power modules and ICs rather than discrete components. How substantial is it? It does have an MC phono, does it not?

I'll dig it out tonight and get some answers and take some nudie pics. IIRC the amp has a toroidal transformer and some Sony ES components in it.

I used it for awhile and it sounded ok, but I have never really done any critical listening with it. I more or less aquired the set since it is kind of unconventional and has a more contemporary look with the rounded corners and all. :yes:

Here is some information and pictures from an old ebay auction.

"50 watts rms a channel (0.008 % distortion @ 8 ohms)

Phono input (MM 92 dB or MC 75 dB, VERY GOOD).

The amplifier is "Pure -complementary SEPP OCL power amplifier with all stages directly coupled."

e149_3.jpg

e499_3.jpg

ddd4_3.jpg

...the TA-S7 amp looks like a smaller TA-N55ES with a preamp section added... same toroid transformer though...

The eBay seller claimed that the as-shipped box would weigh 45 lbs (>20 kg.)

That doesn't seem reasonable based on the photos and the tuner.

I took some pictures that I will post tomorrow. The amp weighs 15 pounds so I would guess boxed up it could be 20 pounds maybe a little more. The tuner would be a less than that probably 10 pounds, 15 max boxed. I does have provisions for MM and MC phono cartridges, as there is a switch in the back of the unit.

Great pictures!

Thanks for the help in understanding this mystery component.

If it was a girl I wouldn't kick it out of bed but I wouldn't buy it a nice dinner either.

Anyone have a TA-S7 they might be willing to sell or trade?

This would be perfect for a friend of mine. PM me.

Just picked up the complete set of four off the SF CL for $150. Has the remote but no speakers.

I posted a photo of the rig under "Show Us Your Sonys."

Got another TA-S7 integrated in route to me now. There is little out there now on my local CL, Audiogon, or on the auction site but I do like the styling and the set I bought for my friend had a great audition so we'll see how it does.

The real issue is getting better speakers. There's some older Maggies a 3 hour drive away that are tempting but the TA-S7 won't really drive them as they deserve to be driven. Might just get a big power amp and use the TA-S7 as a pre-amp.

I did pick up a pair of EPI M50s for $6 at a local thrift shop. The walnut is faded and the little holes on the spring clips is a bear to fit the 12 gage cables into but they sound better than the Insignias they replaced.

Back
Top Bottom