davek111

Wonder if anyone can solve this. I have a pair of sony srs88 desktop computer speakers from 1990.When plugged in, one of them buzzes whether it is turned on or not. When I do turn it on the pitch of the buzz is much higher..... here's the kicker....when I lay it on it's side, no buzz. Upside down or right side up - buzz.

I've opened it up checked all wires - they're all snug. In fact everything is snug....resistors, capacitors, etc. nothing loose. I watched closely while I had it open and plugged in....and nothing appears to move in the slightest as I tilt it. Buzz while upright, no buzz on side. I tried and tried to create the buzz by wiggling and jiggling thinngs while it was on it's side -no luck, but as soon as I tip it upright, it's back.

Any thoughts?

Hi Davek, and welcome to AK.

I wonder if the buzz you are describing is being caused by the speaker's close proximity to something else electrical? Have you tried moving the speaker to a different location and seeing if the buzz persists? I'll bet you have a simple shielding "problem." Which is not really a problem, it's just how those magic electronic waves interact sometimes.

GeeDeeEmm

Hi Davek, and welcome to AK.

I wonder if the buzz you are describing is being caused by the speaker's close proximity to something else electrical? Have you tried moving the speaker to a different location and seeing if the buzz persists? I'll bet you have a simple shielding "problem." Which is not really a problem, it's just how those magic electronic waves interact sometimes.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks. I suppose that's still possible, but I've plugged it in in different rooms in the house with multiple other devices on or off in the vicinity, and there is no change. No buzz when it's on it's side, buzz once tilted upright. Here's a video ...
. The higher pitched buzz does not come through on the video nearly as loud as it is in real life, the low pitched sound at the end is when the speaker is plugged in to the outlet but off.
So - is it within the house wiring?
Is there any chance it has some electronics that would have filtered out in-line buzz in the past that have gone bad???? (the speakers sat unused in a box for the last 15 years). Because it didn't have this issue in the past. Also, It still doesn't explain the tilt of the speaker buzz-on/buzz-off unless it's just all as simple as you suggest and my speaker is just acting as an antenna and picking up RF in an upright position and not while laying down.

A picture, indeed, tells a thousand stories. We need one of the electrical engineers on this board to chip in and give some diagnosis. How to attract their attention? Start a new thread titled something like: Speaker Mystery ;Help Needed - speaker buzzes when it is tilted :dunno:

Use my words exactly if you want. It's almost guaranteed to lure in the kind of people who are good at solving these mysteries.

I have a related problem with my bedside AM/FM/CD/clock radio. It's worked fine for a long time, but now I have intermittent 60cycle buzz coming in LOUDLY. It lasts for 3-4 seconds, max, but it's so obnoxious that it is a rude awaking while tying to half-sleep while listening to the music.

So, come on, you EE guys. One of us needs some relief!

GeeDeeEmm

thanks.GDM....I'll try a new thread. I might not have time for a couple of days, but I'll post something by the end of the weekend. maybe we can both get answers.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom